• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Film Adaptation of Cyborg 009 'in Development'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Before anybody starts complaining, allow me to remind you that this will never get made, and will be perpetually lost in development hell.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well maybe this will work if they do it right but most likely they wont
taco123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It sucks that there aren't many fans of 009. It was amazing. The authorship was genius. I would love to see a re-release of the anime on DVD. Sad

As for the film, a bit excited.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Can you mention a movie which didn't entirely suck from that guy? Like Constantine, I guess. Laughing Anyway, yeah, I can see Cyborg 009 work in live-action. And the multi-cultural cast is a bonus. Plus, unlike Speed Racer, it doesn't have to be trapped in the 60s.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I love me some 009, but the thought of this kinda makes me want to puke. some things just don't need to be westernized. leave it be.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Before anybody starts complaining, allow me to remind you that this will never get made, and will be perpetually lost in development hell.

...Good.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
I love me some 009, but the thought of this kinda makes me want to puke. some things just don't need to be westernized. leave it be.

Why, IMO Cyborg 009 is one of the few anime/manga properties it makes sense to localize, I mean makes more sense then the LA Bleach film, IMO. 009 is actually adaptable. But yeah no way it'll be anywhere near as good as the original stuff, but could still be fun.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
glitteringloke wrote:

Why, IMO Cyborg 009 is one of the few anime/manga properties it makes sense to localize, I mean makes more sense then the LA Bleach film, IMO. 009 is actually adaptable. But yeah no way it'll be anywhere near as good as the original stuff, but could still be fun.

because western hands tend to mutilate everything they touch. It makes sense, but the outcome is going to be pretty horrific and it'll be an awful stain on something good.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
because western hands tend to mutilate everything they touch. It makes sense, but the outcome is going to be pretty horrific and it'll be an awful stain on something good.

And all anime is nothing but big boobs, big eyes and robots? It's no more right to toss prejudice one way than it is the other. Not saying it'll be good or bad, obviously since it doesn't yet even exist such a judgement call can't be made; but just saying for all the griping I see people do about how people are unfair to anime and anime fans, it seems to actually go both ways.

Besides...

Apollo-kun wrote:

The guys right; the odds of this actually making it much further than this, if it even goes any further at all, is pretty low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
glitteringloke wrote:

And all anime is nothing but big boobs, big eyes and robots? It's no more right to toss prejudice one way than it is the other. Not saying it'll be good or bad, obviously since it doesn't yet even exist such a judgement call can't be made; but just saying for all the griping I see people do about how people are unfair to anime and anime fans, it seems to actually go both ways.

No, i get that, but i also think there are just things that should be left alone. i'm not terribly excited about the new movie that's already coming out either. I don't see why it needs to be "Westernized" when it is a rather multinational theme behind it to begin with. it was the use of that term that bugs me the most. that's why i think it will be kinda horrendous.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I will grant you that. Attempting to localize something, particularly something that doesn't need it done, usually doesn't end well. Only time it ever really pans out alright is when the changes are to such a degree you get a "inspired by..." story by a different name as opposed to a real adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
topleka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
Trevor Hairsine will draw the artwork for the graphic novel.

The Hollywood Reporter article lists Marcus To as the artist for the graphic novel instead of Trevor Hairsine. Marcus also confirms in his blog that he's the artist.

Last edited by topleka on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who thinks that it will automatically suck just from the announcement is an idiot. There have only been three theatrical anime movies, and only one of them was actually terrible. The rest just didn't do well. How many times do I have to make this point: we said the same thing about comic book movies. Every time I make that point, no one touches it with a ten-foot pole.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Anyone who thinks that it will automatically suck just from the announcement is an idiot. There have only been three theatrical anime movies, and only one of them was actually terrible. The rest just didn't do well. How many times do I have to make this point: we said the same thing about comic book movies. Every time I make that point, no one touches it with a ten-foot pole.

WHich three would those be, and which one was terrible?

You better not say that Speed Racer was the terrible one..
zetsuie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
maybe by westernized they mean take out the racist aspects and either the silliness or the melodrama
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3