• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do I get my mom to stop making fun of anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RomanceBanchee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I went to a convention and my mom said she would wait in the Hotel. But instead of waiting she came with me so she cpuld laugh at all of ye "freaks" that ate there. The whole time she laughed and made fun o everyone. But she doesn't get it, anime is my escape. No one at my school except a handful of people get me and anime. So when my mom was making fun of it calling everyone "discusting" and "idiotic ffreaks" when she said that I almost lost it. She, my mom was calling the only people who got me freaks thus me a freak as well. Then she told me I was never aloud to go again. I lost the one thing I loved and the people who were like me. My self Esteem dropped. So how do I tell her and convence her that this is me and I'm not changing?? I need help in getting her to accept me please someone anyone???[/url]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
How old are you? (serious question)
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Troll mum. Laughing

Dunno man. Move away, and get government help with your education and a job to pay for your living.

If she keeps harassing you after you no longer depend on her you can bring her to court and most likely win.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Give it time. Hopefully she will come to understand that this is important to you and accept it.

As much as I love manga and anime I do find the more hardcore elements of the fandom a little overwhelming, so I am not surprised that a mere mortal like your mother cannot wrap her head around something as intense as a con. Her choice of words are certainly a little hurtful but don't let it get to you dude, parents are not supposed to get it, it is their duty to not understand.

BTW, spell checkers are free and saves lives!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think your mom just deserves the Head Desk of the Year award. I don't get football fans and what gets them all riled up and excited at games, but I would never EVER go to a game just so I could laugh and point fingers at people and make fun of them. That is just insanely stupid and you only make yourself look like an ignorant idiot.

So as for doing something to change her and make her understand, I got nothing. She's beyond help.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I would make sure she understands how badly she's hurting you with her attitude. I don't know her so I can't guess how she'll react, but at the very least you need to try to get her to understand what this means to you and how damaging her attitude is. If there's any other adults you know who might be sympathetic and could talk to her, that could be helpful as well, especially if you're concerned about talking to her on your own.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
People just make fun of things they don't understand. Rolling Eyes

Tell your mom she's seriously hurting your feelings though. If she can't respect that, she's not worth your time. >:[
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Have you tried violence - actual or implied? People like to say "violence doesn't solve anything", but I say "you're doing it wrong, then". Start with a moderate threat, but if she keeps going, consider investing in a crowbar, maybe a shovel as well depending on just how hard-headed she is. If that doesn't work, then you must do what must be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
@Saffire It was kind of expected. The premise of the topic requires a level of sensitivity and empathy that most of the male forumgoers are probably going to lack. It's not like RomanceBanchee really has much chance of getting his/her mom to accept his/her anime hobby.

Edit: teh grammerz
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hi RomanceBanchee.

First of all, I do think your Mom was unnecessarily cruel. What she did quite frankly seems more than a little odd to me.

That being said, if she banned you from cons and is unmoveable on that count, there's really not much you can do. Until you're a legal adult, you're obligated to live by her rules. It stinks, but it is what it is. What you can do is discuss anime on this forum with likeminded people, even if you can't gather in person.

Finally, your comment that anime is the only thing you love makes me a little worried for your sake. You have a lot ahead of you in life, so make sure you explore other things as well. Above all, make sure you're interacting with people at school. Try to associate with people at school you can have lunch and go to the movies with and engage in whatever other activities are available to you depending on where you live. If it makes you feel better, I'm just one other person who doesn't happen to know anyone else interested in anime, and use this forum to talk about it when I want to. It just isn't a mainstream hobby where I live. (I'm also what would probably be considered a fairly "old lady" here, but that's another issue Very Happy)

I hope everything turns out good for you. Let us know how you're doing, and keep participating in this forum, or even start a discussion about an anime you just enjoyed if you feel like it!
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Above all, make sure you're interacting with people at school. Try to associate with people at school you can have lunch and go to the movies with and engage in whatever other activities are available to you depending on where you live.

School is a terrible place full of drama and stupidity; interacting with most of those people will just cause you to rot. The proper thing to do is try to find equally rejected people at school (find those nerds; they are there) and start up a friendship through your mutually received disregard from classmates.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I grew up not interested in what I was supposed to be interested in as an East Texas boy. My grandfather gave me a hard time about it, but this sounds terrible. I hope you can sit down and talk to her about your feelings. Make sure your feelings come first, rather than defending anime, even though it seems to stem from your interest.

Keep your head up. Growing up happens fast.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
As a father, I'll say this much:

What your mother did was wrong. But hopefully it was out of ignorance of how you truly feel about the subject. If that's the case, then talking to her and telling her how you feel and how important this is to you should help with her understanding and improve the situation.

If, however, she knows how important it is to you, it's very obvious she's trying to make you feel ashamed about it in order to make you stop. Either because she doesn't think it's healthy, or because she is scared of it.

If the second scenario is the case, then all you can do is try to talk and explain to her how it's not. In my experience, if she's that manipulative, then talking to her probably isn't going to help. But at least you can say you tried.

At that point, the only thing you can do, depending on how old you are, is to tough it out and enjoy what you can while you can. When you're older and move out of the house you can go to cons and events without her permission. But if you are still young (under 18) then you need to abide by her rules if she's unrelenting in it.

As someone else said, parent's aren't always going to understand. Our priorities are different to yours. Ours is to keep you safe and try to help you grow into a responsible well-adjusted adult. We love our children and most parent's complete focus is on raising them. Often times that means we can't be "friends."

I think, and I hope, that your mother is just trying to dissuade you from this because she feels it's dangerous or that it's abnormal/deviant behavior. And I hope that, if you can talk to her and explain how it's not, and most people who enjoy this genre of entertainment are exceptionally well-adjusted people with children of their own.

Lastly, I would agree with Kelly in saying that anime/manga/cosplaying cannot be your only love. If it is, you need to explore other things outside of it. Because while I love this genre, there are many many other things I enjoy as much. And if I'd never explored other options I'd never have found them.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Don't care about her trying to "protect her kid" she acted like an ignorant troll. Made you feel terrible in front of people who mattered to you. And called you and people who mattered to you freaks. I mean yes parents get overprotective but there is a limit. What she did was way out of line and you should make her understand that. Not with violence of course. But there are ways to get your point across. Such as never having another nice thing to say about or to her until she relents. After all its STILL more honorable than the tactic she just used on you. I am not joking when I say that I consider what she did to be child abuse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2