• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is the ending of Gurren Lagann so sad?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
facespace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Seriously why is the ending so sad! The entire show is was just crazy and insane and just a lot of fun to watch. All the way up until the very end it is a blast of fun and colors, and then it just gets sad and depressing! WTF! How did you feel when you saw the ending, and in your opinion, why did the creators at GAINAX make the ending the way it is?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
You might have missed some episodes. GL really did have a lot of excitement but there were plenty of sad moments mixed in along the way.
facespace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I loved the show so much (so I purchased the full series), but I just wished it ended differently.
damien007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I personally thought Guuren Lagann's ending was beautiful. Yes it was somewhat saddening that not every character get exactly what they wanted (spoiler[I don't think a single romance throughout the entire series survived]). However it was emotionally satisfying in the sense that it wasn't a simple cop out "and they all lived happily ever after" ending. Generally speaking this is just how Gainax roles, there endings are always well played out and provoke thought and emotion although they can sometimes be somewhat depressing (im looking at you Evangelion). But personally id rather have an ending that is both unique and depressing then one that is happy but generic. And really i think i can talk for a lot of people when i say Gurren Lagann and Simon drilled a hole into my heart Cool .

P.S. There were plenty of depressing moments throughout the series (spoiler[I never saw Kamina's death coming and it really impacted me])
facespace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I understand what you are saying for sure, it left a much greater impact on you than it would if the ending didn't turn out the way it did. It would have been nice though if they gave an alternate (happy) ending as a bonus feature for the dvd, especially since they have practically none. I would have enjoyed the cop out ending much more though, lol.

P.S. The Evangelion ending was quite the F-U ending in my opinion. spoiler[I was like, AWESOME YOU WATCHED THE SHOW! now go do something with your life.]

P.P.S. spoiler[I honestly wasn't too affected by the death of Kamina, but when Nia faded away I was like "NOOOOOOOOO COME BACK! I LUV YOU SOOOO!!! MUCH!!!" So to counter act the sadness, I watched season 1 of 30 Rock.]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually, spoiler[there was one romance that did survive, Dayakka and Kiyoh's.]
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought the ending was very fitting for the series. It wrapped everything up nicely and was able to keep the same message and theme all the way to the end. Sure it was sad, but sad endings are good. They help to bring an emotional depth to the series and are a nice way to bring the story full circle. And if you think about it many of the greatest films and novels have sad endings. So sad endings aren't bad, just... sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote
Aye Sad endigns aren't always bad .. still it does seem lately that the only place where a romance can end well is in a romcom. Either ..

.. You get the boobless tsundere and the easily tempted male who get's the living sh*t beaten out of him for eternity.

.. Or you get the "saving the world comes first" schtick which although realistic is a cheap way of saying use your imagination because we can't be bothered.

And if all else fails. Kill the least interesting character before anything happens.

It just seems as though a few edgy films came out with sad endings people cried. Tickets sold. And so now ALL films that want to get a bit of cheap dramatic tension kill off family members and romantic interests. And it annoys the hell outta me Anime hyper.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Because of how lonely and aged Simon was portrayed as. That definitely hit me, but I had to understand that it was the way he chose - Simon did live a happy life to that point, and is perhaps one of the happiest existences on that planet. But because he couldn't feel sad about his life, rather, he was happy with that, we, the audience, had to feel it for him.

- My humble biased opinion.

By the way, if you liked the ending you really should watch the films as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
I don't know what you are talking about.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/gurren%20lagann%20denial/Hatherdin/LOLs/gurrenlagann-discontinuity.jpg
But seriously though it was sad, they did manage to get what they aimed for, and even Simon and Nia had accepted their fate. Their is a lot of tragedy, but that is life, and that makes it kind of a beautiful ending.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
facespace wrote:
Seriously why is the ending so sad! The entire show is was just crazy and insane and just a lot of fun to watch. All the way up until the very end it is a blast of fun and colors, and then it just gets sad and depressing! WTF! How did you feel when you saw the ending, and in your opinion, why did the creators at GAINAX make the ending the way it is?

It's Gainax. They're infamous for making entertaining shows and then Gain-axe-ing them at the end and shooting themselves in the foot with some type of lame or unsatisfying conclusion that kills your buzz. There hasn't been a single Gainax series I've seen that was at all remotely satisfying and didn't crash and burn somehow at the end. Mad
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
because real men cry at the end of their anime! lol. Laughing
facespace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
There hasn't been a single Gainax series I've seen that was at all remotely satisfying and didn't crash and burn somehow at the end. Mad

Well FLCL's ending didn't really end sadly, it was quite positive.

*at Soundmonkey
Well said.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
facespace wrote:

It's Gainax. They're infamous for making entertaining shows and then Gain-axe-ing them at the end and shooting themselves in the foot with some type of lame or unsatisfying conclusion that kills your buzz. There hasn't been a single Gainax series I've seen that was at all remotely satisfying and didn't crash and burn somehow at the end. Mad

Gunbuster's end is one of the best in anime. No it's not particularly overwhelmingly and unequivocally happy, but I'd say it's very satisfying.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Because for some reason throwing in drama at the end is considered to be "deep" or something. I still prefer the "Earn Your Happy Ending" way (they should really add KnK to that page).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4