• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - True Fans

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
There's not much Mangakas could learn from comic book writes. All they seem to put out are shallow super-hero stories with the occasional awesome one thrown in, like Watchmen. I have yet to see any American comic with a half decent romance story, or high end humor. All they really have right now are super-hero comics.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yup, the true fans phenomenon is unfortunately pretty common. I generally just watch the series and later read the manga and occasionally follows it chapter by chapter that corresponds to the anime as I watch.

Great analogies in this article btw, Brian Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
In regards to true fans, I'm surprised. Usually it's the manga elitists who use that card of "Hah, what a n00b, all filler sucks, the anime has so much FILLER, read the pure manga instead" Never really seen someone say the opposite. Unless it's one of those 'departure halfway through' like 2003 FMA VS Manga/Brotherhood or Soul Eater anime VS Soul Eater manga, it seems a bit pointless to bicker on anime to anime adaptions.

The only time it seems fit to use the 'true fan' thing is when referring to dubs. If all you've seen is some edited 4Kids TV dub, then no, you can't say you're a 'One Peice/Yu-Gi-Oh/Ojamajo Doremi/whatever" fan, since you haven't actually seen the real version of that show, only some macabre abomination. For most people this is common knowledge, but you do get the occasional blissfully ignorant "Eh, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine adaption and I can judge it from this alone" guy.

What could mangaka learn from comics? Nothing really. I can't really think of anything comics do that manga doesn't do already, but I can think of plenty vice versa.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I have yet to see any American comic with a half decent romance story, or high end humor. All they really have right now are super-hero comics.

I don't know about that - sure, if you only read stories put out by DC and Marvel about their major properties, you're only going to get the superhero basics (although Jodi Picoult wrote a pretty great Wonder Woman). But branch out a bit and there is some pretty terrific stuff. For example, Mark Crilley's Miki Falls* is a great romance and Reina Telgemeier's Smile has as much if not more relateable emotion than a good shoujo manga. Joe Hill's Locke & Key is very effective horror, and horror mangaka could probably pick up a trick or two from his villain.

*Yes, Miki Falls is set in Japan and drawn in a vaguely manga-like style, but it's worlds away from what we usually classify as OEL. Or I'm shamelessly defending a favorite series. Your choice. I still think it's romantic. Smile

Last edited by Princess_Irene on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey man, if you know good American comics that are not super-hero, please keep the titles coming. I'll gladly look for them and read.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
There's not much Mangakas could learn from comic book writes. All they seem to put out are shallow super-hero stories with the occasional awesome one thrown in, like Watchmen. I have yet to see any American comic with a half decent romance story, or high end humor. All they really have right now are super-hero comics.

Check out ElfQuest. There's the whole thing, free and legal, online. As it happens, AFAIK, it was also the first American comic to be strongly influenced by manga. And it's one of the things that helped prepare the way for me to eventually become a fan of anime and manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
And a more recent recommendation, also available online: Girl Genius. I personally gave up on it a couple years ago, but it has a lot of followers among anime fans. I can still recommend the earlier volumes, at least.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
After that whole.... what do you call it summer preview guide/anime expo/otaku ANN war BS a few weeks ago, I've gotten completely annoyed with the people arguing true fans requirements and otaku qualifications. If being an anime fan AT ALL somehow means it's absolutely mandatory for me to watch a lot more than what was nostalgic to me, or to accept and unconditionally praise moe and fanservice, regardless of what it does creatively to the industry, bash american animation and comics, watch things only in Japanese with subtitles, or having to express it as some kind of hobby, if being an anime means I HAVE to specifically meet all of those requirements, then I'd just rather not be an anime fan.

Look, I know when I like Japanese animation, why exactly I like it, how I like to watch it and what I look for in Japanese animated stories. I don't need some random fan with a different mentality telling me how I have to think or labelling what I really am. To the people who seriously argue what's required to be a true fan, for the love of god, spare me all the debates and bs! Just... spare me!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute Mr. Answerman,

WHERE DID YOU GET THE ANSWERS FOR YOUR QUESTION ABOUT LIMITED EDITIONS FROM? The only thing I remember from your last week's post is people talking about justifying rape and Zac Bertschy threatening to ban them if they did not stop.

I suppose there is no point answering Mr. Answerman's questions in this forum because the answers from fans he presents come from another place.

I do not want to be mean Mr. Answerman, but I am very curious, and I want to make sure if the input we provide in this forum gets to you.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

WHERE DID YOU GET THE ANSWERS FOR YOUR QUESTION ABOUT LIMITED EDITIONS FROM? The only thing I remember from your last week's post is people talking about justifying rape and Zac Bertschy threatening to ban them if they did not stop.

I suppose there is no point answering Mr. Answerman's questions in this forum because the answers from fans he presents come from another place.

I do not want to be mean Mr. Answerman, but I am very curious, and I want to make sure if the input we provide in this forum gets to you.

The answers that get published are sent via this interesting invention called e-mail. The posts on this forum are entirely unrelated.

The "True Fan" commentary was quite well done! Reminds me of the "Sub-only" elitism that is so rampant on anime boards everywhere! Perhaps some of the people that behave in that manner will read your column and learn something...

Who am I kidding? They won't learn a thing and most of them will not only not recognize their own behavior for what it is, but will vocally declare that you are absolutely correct and that those people are complete idiots! Rolling Eyes
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

The only time it seems fit to use the 'true fan' thing is when referring to dubs. If all you've seen is some edited 4Kids TV dub, then no, you can't say you're a 'One Peice/Yu-Gi-Oh/Ojamajo Doremi/whatever" fan, since you haven't actually seen the real version of that show, only some macabre abomination. For most people this is common knowledge, but you do get the occasional blissfully ignorant "Eh, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine adaption and I can judge it from this alone" guy.

I knew someone was going to be the example for answerman, and here we are Laughing Not a fan if you like the "EDITED" dub? please, Having seen all of English Yu-gi-oh and its Japanese original, the dub actually stepped it up and made it better, Can't say the same for One Piece, but like Answerman said, get out of here with this nonsense

As far as the Eastern learning Western, It's not that they couldn't (everybody could learn something from somebody) they already do, but have made it their own.

On both sides, each has something about them that makes them unique, and part of that is culturally, everything gets really watered down when everybody (and in this instance everybody) uses the same techniques (not similar but direct copies). Am I saying that nobody should take a few hints from something else? No, but we both have super heroes, but they are unique to us, the way the question is worded its basically saying "Eastern writes don't have Western Super Heroes, how should they put them in and work without changing them?" lol
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, "True Fans" are...*snore*

*jerks upwards*

Sorry, this is just a really boring topic. Something with more flamewar potential next week please.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But as sites like Amazon Marketplace make it easier and easier for Japanese consumers to import cheaper American discs, you can bet that paranoia about "reverse importation" is not going away. In fact, from what I'm hearing, it's getting worse, and may lead to even more crippled discs and non-Blu-ray releases in the near future.
Read more at animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2012-07-20#cgpB4Bdui5JcDBvf.99

There's two extreme outcomes, either the releases here match the Japanese prices and might include extras and dubs, or the Japanese releases start including English subs. The question is how long will it be before this becomes the common practice, or if. If fears over reverse importation are causing all of these issues, what happens when the otaku finally learn how to torrent?
Takokujin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
After that whole.... what do you call it summer preview guide/anime expo/otaku ANN war BS a few weeks ago, I've gotten completely annoyed with the people arguing true fans requirements and otaku qualifications. If being an anime fan AT ALL somehow means it's absolutely mandatory for me to watch a lot more than what was nostalgic to me, or to accept and unconditionally praise moe and fanservice, regardless of what it does creatively to the industry, bash american animation and comics, watch things only in Japanese with subtitles, or having to express it as some kind of hobby, if being an anime means I HAVE to specifically meet all of those requirements, then I'd just rather not be an anime fan.

Look, I know when I like Japanese animation, why exactly I like it, how I like to watch it and what I look for in Japanese animated stories. I don't need some random fan with a different mentality telling me how I have to think or labelling what I really am. To the people who seriously argue what's required to be a true fan, for the love of god, spare me all the debates and bs! Just... spare me!

This. I couldn't agree more, Hypeathon.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

The answers that get published are sent via this interesting invention called e-mail. The posts on this forum are entirely unrelated.

The "True Fan" commentary was quite well done! Reminds me of the "Sub-only" elitism that is so rampant on anime boards everywhere! Perhaps some of the people that behave in that manner will read your column and learn something...

Who am I kidding? They won't learn a thing and most of them will not only not recognize their own behavior for what it is, but will vocally declare that you are absolutely correct and that those people are complete idiots! Rolling Eyes

I went back to last week's post and Mr. Answerman does indeed say that we can e-mail him with questions and comments. But he did not specify if wee can also send him questions and comments through this forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12