• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of evangelion explanation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baka...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I was watched end of evangelion again today and im still confused. Can someone please summerize the basic points that are hard to understand. Help?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Try watching it with the commentary track. That helps some, it did for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Baka...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
Is that on the origonal dvds? Or just platinum.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
Are you talking about the end of the series, or the movie?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:48 am Reply with quote
There's only one End of Evangelion DVD in the U.S. that I'm aware of, but I've only seen the movie once (dubbed), so I didn't get a chance to check the commentary. It should be somewhere on the DVD, though.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:19 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Try watching it with the commentary track. That helps some, it did for me.

No it doesn't. Those people don't know what the hell they're talking about. spoiler[It's ASUKA in the end... NO ONE ELSE.]
Baka...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Are you talking about the end of the series, or the movie?

The movie the series its self is easy to understand, or are they not redoing the Movie in platinum?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Baka..."]
kusanagi-sama wrote:
or are they not redoing the Movie in platinum?

The movies were licensed by Manga Entertainment, while the series is licensed by ADV, so no, the movies will not be a part of the Platinum edition.
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally, a "serious" explanation on this topic could be too long for this thread. However, there could be also other "serious" explanations that are much shorter. It all depends on what one considers a "serious" explanation to something that is undefined...

The point I want to say is that there is no real "explanation" other than the one you believe in. Therefore, the topic should have been: "What do you guys think of End of Eva?" not "End of evangelion explanation" suggesting that there is only one true explanation.

Although I myself might want to discuss this topic, it might be better off for you to surf the net and search for individual sites where people give their "explanation" free of cricitizm and then think of your own "explanation". Some people's ideas are unfortunatly unwelcome to others. Sad (I plant to take any sides)
ReIN-Karnated@042

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:24 am Reply with quote
Well I was once also confused like you my child ...
Laughing Always wanted to say that!!!!

Even though I have seen this topic before just in different, I will try to help you like someone did for me.

What i am about to put here if a really good explaination of the END, but the only problem is I don't know who i got from so putting this as a quote from an unknown source (Sorry if this is yours, thats why I'm trying to put far away from my words or mine)

Eva The Meaning of The END

"My thoughts, now pulled from several topics over the last year,
On the original show:spoiler[The ending was in Shinji's mind and his instrumentation process. Ultimately he finds meaning and value in himself, the hallmarks of true maturity. It is strange, it is weird, but it gets at the heart of Eva's nature. The show is about people, our flaws, our strengths, our true forms. The ending strips away the giant robot device to get at the heart. ]The show works, there is flow, there is plot, there is synergy in the show. But the messages aren't popular and can be confusing due to the style. I think it is an important anime, one that people should see, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

On the movies spoiler[: In the end, the choking of Asuka had to do with feeling alive and with Shinji overcoming his own self hatred. When Asuka places her hand upon his face, Shinji lessens his grip and begans to cry. The final words are Asuka's. There are a few other interpretations, one is that is not Asuka. Rather she is Shinji's perfect woman, an idealized version of Asuka infused with Rei. Also, Asuka was dead before the end, thus meaning possibly anyone can come back, this allows for Rei-2 to come back. If you notice, final-Asuka has bandages that are a reverse of Rei -2 and -3 bandages. There is some suggestion that the perfect woman is shaped as Asuka since Shinji has now progressed beyond his mother, and his mother figures. For any of these possiblities, it is a happy ending. Really, no joke. Shinji and final Asuka are free to live their own lives for the first time. No longer are they pawns to Gendo or SEELE or Yui. They will neither destroy the world nor build a momument to it, but live it. (That may be what Gendo wanted. Nobody knows but him and Fuyutsuki what he was planing the whole time. I really want to know, perhaps he wanted the orginal ending? Or was that SEELE's ending? I think it might just of been Gendo's plan, and that is why he was happy in Episode 26, he got the happy life with Yui. Gendo was really a tragic hero, but few believe me.)

Either that or Shinji is nutters and Anno created this as an equivlent of the bird for fans. There is some suggestion that the whole movie was a twisted way to answer fan request on unanswered questions by answering most in the most horrid possible way, while raising even more. After all, we got to know Shinji's preferance, and Asuka got to fight.]
"

And thats it, i hope it helps you Smile !!!
Smile Smile Surprised
Baka...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ReIN-Karnated@042

You are my hero thanks for the info i oweyou one.
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
In responce to Rein-Karnated@042, I plan to type the explanation from a Japanese website that when I have more time (I have finals comming up). However, I never noticed the spoiler[bandage image], which seems to be interesting.

One thing I just want to say is: spoiler[Gendo's "Human instrumentality project" and SEELE's "Human instrumentality project" are both different things. That is the whole reason why SEELE in End of Eva decided to attack NERV just to stop Gendo's plans. It is also related to the reason why Gendo decided to use the Lance of Langinus when SEELE didn't want him to and as an excuse, he said it was use to defend NERV. Gendo's instrumentality as shown from quotes from the T.V. episode (which I plan to discuss another time) is more of a transcendence of man to a greater being, while SEELE's instrumentality project is on man's repayment of original sin and achieving nirvana.] I plan to type more about this and also more of End of Eva when I have more time. Sad
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=14

That might help some. It did for me.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll put in my two cents by directing you to http://www.evangelion.tv/library/mysteries.html, where you can find explanations to various scientific or religious terms used in Evangellion.
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
OMG! Gainax finally did it!!

A EVANGELION PANCHINKO MACHINE!!!

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/eva/

sorry that was irrelevent Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4