• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saikano OAV series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll be the first one to say that I'm...rather pessimistic about this. I mean, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but trying to somehow salvage or continue the main SaiKano storyline just does *not* feel like a good idea. Hell, even trying to squeeze a second or other storyline into the same world feels gratuitous, since we already know how 'everything' is going to end. Although, I guess it's possible to admit that the first series is *not* literal, and rather than being an apocalyptic fantasy, is just an exploration of growing up and into sexuality; then the OVA could stick to dealing with the same themes in a different setting; i.e., the Gunbuster 2 approach (...or, for that matter, the Mahoromatic/KonoMini approach)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Toboe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just a few hours of a white screen.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
I'll be the first one to say that I'm...rather pessimistic about this.

I'll be the second, then. {EDIT: Make that the third.}

CorneredAngel wrote:
I mean, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but trying to somehow salvage or continue the main SaiKano storyline just does *not* feel like a good idea. Hell, even trying to squeeze a second or other storyline into the same world feels gratuitous, since we already know how 'everything' is going to end.

Yes, the series pretty much terminated the storyline decisively. However, there are "sidestories" in the manga, and published subsequently. It's possible one of these might be suitable material.

CorneredAngel wrote:
Although, I guess it's possible to admit that the first series is *not* literal, and rather than being an apocalyptic fantasy, is just an exploration of growing up and into sexuality; then the OVA could stick to dealing with the same themes in a different setting; i.e., the Gunbuster 2 approach (...or, for that matter, the Mahoromatic/KonoMini approach)

This is what is also called a "Bobby Ewing storyline". It's a common occurrence in soaps or potboiler series ("Charmed", "Buffy", etc.), when the writing staff manages to paint itself into a corner. Storyline stuck? Solution: roll back the storyline and explain that the past N days, months or years were "just a dream/nightmare/alternate dimension/mystic vision". It works, if you're not too picky.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
It could be the "Love Story Killed" sidestory from the manga. That was even more depressing than Saikano itself.

Aside:
Watching "The Pianist" the other day, I couldn't help noting that all the films I've seen dealing with the Holocaust end on an upbeat note, with a sense of gladness at having survived, even at such a heavy cost.
All the Japanese apocalyptic films I've seen end with everyone dying, and no chance of reprieve.
It's not something I'm remotely qualified to discuss, but perhaps this represents two diverse cultural responses to having faced utter social annihilation.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The Lamb wrote:
It could be the "Love Story Killed" sidestory from the manga. That was even more depressing than Saikano itself.

Yes, that's the number one most depressing story in the whole manga canon. Number one with a bullet, I'm tempted to say.

The Lamb wrote:
Watching "The Pianist" the other day, I couldn't help noting that all the films I've seen dealing with the Holocaust end on an upbeat note, with a sense of gladness at having survived, even at such a heavy cost.
All the Japanese apocalyptic films I've seen end with everyone dying, and no chance of reprieve.
It's not something I'm remotely qualified to discuss, but perhaps this represents two diverse cultural responses to having faced utter social annihilation.
Hmm. An interesting observation. But I would disagree with the premise. There are plenty of counterexamples in both Western and Japanese film.

However, I would agree that there is a tendency to approach the subject of End of All Things differently. On this subject I'd like to note that, contrary to the implied premise in your final sentence, Western society (with some localised exceptions - Germany in 1945, for instance) has never "faced utter social annihilation". Furthermore, the West has an entrenched common cultural underpinning that informs it how to respond to apocalypse. Namely, the entire Christian mythos concerning the Eschaton. Japan has no such cultural ballast, and it is not surprising that Japanese responses to destruction are different.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Just looking at this art i'm goinga have to get the Anime now since based off what i saw in the manga and the art on the site it looks good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Not that I've seen the first SaiKano yet, but looking at the artwork for the OAV, is it just me or does that girl look like Tatiana Wilsa from Last EXILE Anime dazed.
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Not that I've seen the first SaiKano yet, but looking at the artwork for the OAV, is it just me or does that girl look like Tatiana Wilsa from Last EXILE Anime dazed.

Looks like Tatiana? In the TV series, I'd say no...
<>

...but based on the artwork for the OVA available on the official Saikano site, I do see your point. It will be very interesting to see how they work (or rework) the storyline.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
Er.. right, right. Chise and Tatiana look nothing alike Anime catgrin + sweatdrop. Yes, I meant the girl on the OAV site Anime smile:

It just seems a bit strange to me since I've been watching Last EXILE so much within the past week. Wink
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, the OVA character design did strike me as being quite like Tatiana... and quite unlike the Chise from the TV series! Currently I prefer the 'original' designs, but that may change once I get to see some footage.

(off topic: I too have been getting my fill of Last Exile - the final DVD was finally released!)
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:16 am Reply with quote
Well they are gonzo animes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:39 am Reply with quote
Is that supposed to be Chise? OVA-version Chise looks so... mean and cold-hearted. Quite a difference from how sweet and innocent she is in the series, which played a *huge* role in the story and overall atmosphere. It'll be interesting to see what happens...
wao

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:15 am Reply with quote
Er.. maybe because that might not be Chise. From what I can figure out in the text a new character Mizuki will be introduced. Also this story will be from Chise's point of view, not Shuji's. Like what experiments she had to go through, what she thoguht, etc etc.

I think this story may be a retelling of the TV series from Chise's point of view (I was always left wondering exactly how the heck Chise's life was like...) or perhaps set before the TV series begins?

I'll prolly give this one a miss, I never liked the original TV series to begin with. And it seems that it's going to be animated by Studio Fantasia, not GONZO... The only anime I remember them actually doing (as in, not an assisting studio) was KGNE. I hear Najica and Stratos 4 were done by them too though.

A bunch of the old staff are back including the scriptwriter.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
Er.. maybe because that might not be Chise. From what I can figure out in the text a new character Mizuki will be introduced. Also this story will be from Chise's point of view, not Shuji's. Like what experiments she had to go through, what she thoguht, etc etc.

Oh, okay, thanks. Anime smile I wasn't sure who the girl depicted was supposed to be.
littleharlock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Er.. right, right. Chise and Tatiana look nothing alike Anime catgrin + sweatdrop. Yes, I meant the girl on the OAV site Anime smile:

It just seems a bit strange to me since I've been watching Last EXILE so much within the past week. Wink

The girl on the Official Saishû Heiki Kanojo OVA site is not supposed to be Chise. According to the site, there´ll be a new character named Mizuki in Another Love Song and it´s pretty likely this is Mizuki ^_~

so far
yours
littleharlock
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1