• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Super Robot Wars OG Slated for November 29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
Finally Smile Have had this preordered ever since the original annoucement.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Only 13 months late!
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if they bring the second Endless Fronteir game to the US. I've been playing the first one and was erked when I found out that they didn't bring the second one over.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
It would be nice if they bring the second Endless Fronteir game to the US. I've been playing the first one and was erked when I found out that they didn't bring the second one over.

Nothing in the Super Robot Wars franchise has ever done well over here. I love the franchise but I have given up on ever seeing anything else coming over here.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:

From what I understand, there's a few publishers interested in it but don't want to actually publish because Atlus published a few of them and so it would essentially be intruding on their turf.

Also; Atlus being aware of the title and the "Zero" incident with regards to a few might've put them off the table. Still wish they'd give it another go though but alas, by this point I know enough Moonrunes to get by.

Charred Knight wrote:

Nothing in the Super Robot Wars franchise has ever done well over here. I love the franchise but I have given up on ever seeing anything else coming over here.

Part of that could also be lack of promotion and the fact they released the two GBA games on the system's deathbed and then said they didn't "sell well"

Hyped as all hell for this regardless. Have my preorder for the LE standing by. Twisted Evil
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The simple fact of the matter is that the first 30 minutes of a level in a SRW is a bunch of people talking and the average gamer simply cant stand that. The most popular game franchise in the world is Call of Duty for a reason.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
I hope the Blu-ray they are bundling with it finds its way to North America in the future. I would like to add it to my collection.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
There are a number of factors preventing SRW from getting brought over here.

1. Licensing issues. A modern SRW game can have as many as 23 copywrited materials to approve (per latest SRW, Saisei-hen.) Not to mention whether or not the US licensors have any sayso in their agreements in regards to their licensed shows. Then you have to get rights to all the music used as themes, then reach an greement with Bandai Namco to use their characters and music. So a lot of red tape which leads to the second issue,

2. Interest. While SRPGs aren't completely ignored in the US, the amount needed to get the project off the ground puts it out of niche title territory, and into "this needs to make LOTS of money to be a success" and a strategy game featuring anime robots isn't going to set the world on fire. And that leads to number 3,

3. The fanbase. The existing SRW fanbase has instant access to EVERY SINGLE SRW EVER MADE illegally, and fans being fans, will look to the cheapest option for entertainment. Saisei hen was leaked a week early, and people were lining up for dl links, so the intrepid few that import wouldn't be enough to generate interest in the monolithic task of bringing a game about robots fighting to the US.

Which is a real shame.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
There are a number of factors preventing SRW from getting brought over here.

1. Licensing issues. A modern SRW game can have as many as 23 copywrited materials to approve (per latest SRW, Saisei-hen.) Not to mention whether or not the US licensors have any sayso in their agreements in regards to their licensed shows. Then you have to get rights to all the music used as themes, then reach an greement with Bandai Namco to use their characters and music. So a lot of red tape which leads to the second issue,

Of course, this is an OG game, so thats irrelevant.

The rest of your post is spot on, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1