• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: French Mysterious Cities of Gold Sequel's First Promo Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I rented the dub boxset from my library a while back, and I'll be damned if it's not a pretty good show for what subject matter it covers. I don't know how many non-French people might be interested in it as it was never popular like Robotech or Star Blazers that I can gather, but if you liked Nadia this is very similar in set up and premise. Too bad this sequel is in flash, or looks close enough like it, or I might have cared.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this trailer completely blew my expectations out of the water, this looks fantastic. I didn't expect the graphics to be in 3D, but the approximation to the original style is surprisingly good (if a bit blocky at times), and the backgrounds are stunning to look at. I'm glad to think a new generation of children will have the chance to grow up watching a show like this.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Would be a good series for Nick to pick up just like they did the original back in the 80s. I'd watch it for sure.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
France has put out a number of excellent animated TV series on occasion.

Anyone else seen Oban: Star Racers?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I rented the dub boxset from my library a while back, and I'll be damned if it's not a pretty good show for what subject matter it covers. I don't know how many non-French people might be interested in it as it was never popular like Robotech or Star Blazers that I can gather, but if you liked Nadia this is very similar in set up and premise. Too bad this sequel is in flash, or looks close enough like it, or I might have cared.
I vaguely remember watching it as a child, but I can't remember the story too well. The comparison to Nadia makes me want to revisit it though.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
it is because of the original series that I now watch anime, I own the American release deluxe edition, and still watch it from time to time.

I first watched the original in the early 80s on Nickelodeon.

damn I'm old Razz
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Too bad this sequel is in flash, or looks close enough like it, or I might have cared.

It's some Flash/3D hybrid that a lot of French animation uses these days, sadly. I agree, it's very distracting/off putting.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
The sequel was announced many years ago, but the broadcast was pushed to 2013 Anime cry, I really liked the first season, I don't know if I will get used to the CG since it changes pretty much from before.
I have the feeling that Esteban seems to have the same voice as before ^^ but it can't be possible (after 30 years) .

A really nostalgic song Anime smile .
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
As long as the story is good, we could put up with the animation. Smile
brandongarcia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this moment for 20+ years ... check out this tribute/adaptation I did of the theme song last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqdo-KLeDMA
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I am glad they kept the same theme song! I love that opening song.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did the guy in the red cloak with his face hidden sound and move like Darth Vader? Smile
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty impressed by the visuals, yeah yeah, it's not pure 2D, but they're still nice graphics, with bright colours and good animation for a TV series (I literally mean the animation rather than the "artistry" there's a nice looseness to some of it). I do keep meaning to check out the original series but want to see it in it's original language and I'm pretty sure that's not English, but rather French or Japanese, which I don't think are included in the u.s. or u.k. boxset releases. While we're on the topic, I would really like to see Skyland in it's original French with English subs, not least because unlike pretty much every other french TV animated series popular amongst English speakers, it's not a french-japanese co-production - I love anime, but it would be nice to see something different.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
I can tolerate it because its looks like the old style, but I really thought they were going to give this a visual update; this and wakafu are pretty good, but in my opinion would be better served with a more anime style appearance. Just imagine if they got Ghibli to do the art style on Cities, wow people would eat that up, because the show is in the vain of some of his stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1