• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Borders Exclusive

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Bah! I hate these exclusive deals. Not that it matters though since I already own the anime series AND the first five volumes of the manga. Do these kinds of deals ever really work?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Bah! I hate these exclusive deals. Not that it matters though since I already own the anime series AND the first five volumes of the manga. Do these kinds of deals ever really work?

What you mean do they ever work? The chobits arbox that came with the last volume had sold pretty well when it's released.

This fruitbasket exclusive though is a rip off.
wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
If you mean 'do they work' as in 'do people buy them' then I'd say yes for the most part. I don't see the point either really, but they keep doing it so they must be getting something out of it...

I don't mind the products themselves but I agree that making something exclusive to one or two stores isn't really fair since not everyone will have easy access to that store. But I guess it depends on how badly you want the item. I already bought this box because Fruits Basket is one of my favorites and I'm a big fan of series boxes Anime catgrin . I also bought the Chobits one last year; but it was easy for me since these stores are close to my home. I'd prefer, and think it would be more consumer friendly, if they made these things limited editions available everywhere.

The box itself is cute but nothing overly creative. The images on it are the covers of volume 1 with Tohru and volume 6 with Momiji. I haven't watched the bonus material on the DVD yet so I'm not sure if its something that wasn't on the original DVD release.
ilaughead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I have pictures of the box on this page, if anyone wants to see it...
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=774461&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
What normal Canadian retailer actually orders through Diamond comics? Yeesh.
DiscoBuba

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
Geez I didn't even realize those were an exclusive until I saw it on this site. We got like a whole stack of them last week in my store! We usually get more than most Waldenbooks though, since we tend to sell more manga than the company average. I really should go on the animeondvd forums too but I just don't have enough time......(I'm too busy actually reading manga)

Anyway, I don't think it being exclusive is so bad as they're a lot of Borders and Waldens around in most areas. It just seems like normal retail competition to me. After all, Barnes & Nobles has exclusive hardcover versions of some manga! Usually I find alot of places which have on company has their competitor around town too. I.E. theres a B & N right down the street from us.

As for whether or not they sell, I think that depends on a few things. As much as I like Chobits its not as big a seller IMO as Fruits Basket. But that box set I think was priced more fairly and the included extra figurine was a better idea. Whereas FB is popular, but I think the box set is overpriced. But since alot of fans will still buy it, I think the DVD extra was a poor selection. Its not even the first full DVD and alot of fans might already have, or plan on getting, the anime. So far, I have yet to sell one box set. Even though I keep pointing them out to people buying the manga, especially volume 6 (Hey I'm a bookseller & a fan, its my job!)........well thats not true. I did sell myself one, along with Volumes 1-5 since we were having 40% employee appreciation discount last weekend........ so for me it wasn't as expensive. *Whew*Sorry. long post, this is why I prefer to be a lurker Razz
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
I kinda find it sad they're doing this promotion so late. =\
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I kinda find it sad they're doing this promotion so late. =\

What are you talking about1?Fruit basket is selling really well, so they figure, hey lets include a box and a 2sample episode dvd on the next volume and charge them 17 more dollar all the fans are gonna buy it up.

Would they include a box if it sold like crap?

If this bomb though, I bet they're gonna drop the exclusive to 20 dollar.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
What normal Canadian retailer actually orders through Diamond comics? Yeesh.

Umm, all comic book and anime stores Anime smallmouth;
DiscoBuba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

If this bomb though, I bet they're gonna drop the exclusive to 20 dollar.

Just a quick update, but supposedly Waldenbooks has already discounted it 20%. Of course I didn't get a chance to verify this (its kind of busy this time of year). Which brings it down to about $22, and could be combined with the Preferred Reader Discount for an additional 10% off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1