• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Sets Guinness Record with 22.6 Billion Cards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
I... did not know that. I mean, of course Yu-Gi-Oh!'s popular, but 22.6 billion?! That's kind of crazy, geez.

What's Takahashi-sensei even doing nowadays? If he gets any royalties at all from all these licenses he sure doesn't need to write manga...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Wow, it even beats Magic? Had no idea.
Xagor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
It's been established for several years now that Magic lies in 3rd place behind YGO and Pokemon. That's what legions of kids will do for your sales.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, that number means every person on earth has 3 Yu-Gi-Oh cards each!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Be that the case, somebody else must currently be in possession of mine. Since I've never enjoyed this franchise in any non-abridged form though, whosoever is the current custodian of my three cards might as well keep hold of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming they're counting the cards they send out with Shonenjump here. I know my brother throws those out. I wonder how many cards they print a year for that thing alone.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
I got a box of those cards in my house, there the first print U.S cards to

Now that I think about it, my brothers spent way to much money on trading trades and the toy dual disk for it
kill-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
To think that Yu-Gi-OH! wasn't even supposed to be a Card-Game anime/manga

thank U 4Kid$
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

True enough cause i have my deck from the invasion of chaos booster pack. Though i'm not susprised it eclisped Magic since yugioh TCG is much easier to get custom for beginners,i'm kinda susprised they got the guinness record cause i was sure pokemon would be the one to break that feat long time ago.

Wonder how much cards pokemon has about now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm assuming they're counting the cards they send out with Shonenjump here. I know my brother throws those out. I wonder how many cards they print a year for that thing alone.

I doubt promo/giveaway cards are counted in this. The record is for how many cards are sold, not how many are printed.

kill-chan wrote:

thank U 4Kid$

Yu-Gi-Oh! became a card-battle manga as soon as Takahashi started the Duelist Kingdom arc in 1997 or 1998, which was was three or four years before 4Kids even announced they had the license to Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:

thank U 4Kid$

Um no. It wasn't. But what does that have to do with 4kids? The mangaka is the one who changed the direction of the story with DK, and that is when it became more popular (long before it graced North American TVs). I personally liked the pre DK stuff more.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
and here I was pulling for pokemon Rolling Eyes , anyways, to me it makes sense. these things (the cards) are all over my house from when i used to collect them. just all over the place. everywhere. dunno how they got there, they just are. thankfully i grew out of that whole thing but yea, i can understand how it could be yu-gi-oh! that has the most cards out of everybody. (i dont even think pokemon has anywhere near the amount anyways Confused )

well congrats Smile
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
oh god....how much have i been buying? nah just joking the only time i buy cards is usually once a month or so. but during summer.....at least 1 once a week....but usually when i do buy a pack i usually pull out cards that costs ether $70 or $100. But im not suprised that Yu Gi Oh sold that much, i once heard that a group of guys had a huge fight over a ghost rare card.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
ohmygosh 22.6 billion cards... I feel so dirty....

I haven't really played in over a year now especially since the whole lawsuit thing came up, but its not unusual for players to own over 500+ cards. And that's only if they were smart shoppers. People who enjoy the mystery of the booster packs probably have close to 1000+ cards if they played seriously for over 2+ years.

In terms for beginners, Yugioh is pretty straight foward so it makes it easier to pick up since there is way less card management compared to Magic. But the game is deep too. Some cards have way way too much text in them to the point they have to sent up individual rulings for some. Even then judges still get it wrong sometimes.

Yugioh is like a good fighting game in my opinion. An overstatrated genre but beginner friendly, and deep for hardcore or advance players.
Dinoguy1000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

22.6 billion + ~10 million (extreme upper limit, since the average issue of SJ has a circulation of ~200-250 thousand, and there've been about 18 promo cards released in the magazine (and yes, I'm also considering other promo cards, like tournament prizes and the like)) - counted or not, it barely makes a dent.

Also, seeing language like "over 22,587,728,173" really bugs me - "over" implies it's an approximate figure, so why not just say "over 22,587,000,000" or something?

It's been a long time since I last counted, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I had over 2000 cards total, including most of the JMP/JUMP promos (would love to get a mint JMP-001 Blue Eyes, though).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2