• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Harmony Gold Founder/Robotech Producer to Serve No Jail Time

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like Agrama has dodged this one. But still the hate for Harmony Gold has really got to stop, the past is the past. If all of you are going to complain about Harmony Gold editing anime, then go after Japan for editing/censoring our stuff too. Macross already got a uncut release thanks to ADV and you can watch it on Hulu. Also The macross part of Robotech was close to the Japanese version so it's good enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
If all of you are going to complain about Harmony Gold editing anime, then go after Japan for editing/censoring our stuff too.

Howabout you stop hating on the Japanese seeing most of the complaints stem from Japanese Anime being translated and localized elsewhere seeing we are on a site that discusses Japanese Anime and Manga?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
If all of you are going to complain about Harmony Gold editing anime, then go after Japan for editing/censoring our stuff too.

Howabout you stop hating on the Japanese seeing most of the complaints stem from Japanese Anime being translated and localized elsewhere seeing we are on a site that discusses Japanese Anime and Manga?

So it's OK for Japan to severely edit our stuff like what they did to Police Quest 2 when it first came to Japan:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well it looks like Agrama has dodged this one. But still the hate for Harmony Gold has really got to stop, the past is the past. If all of you are going to complain about Harmony Gold editing anime, then go after Japan for editing/censoring our stuff too. Macross already got a uncut release thanks to ADV and you can watch it on Hulu. Also The macross part of Robotech was close to the Japanese version so it's good enough for me.

I think the hate lies more in Harmony Gold claiming Robotech is a "different show" than Macross when they clearly used a combination of three titles they acquired, effectively plagiarizing. It's not about simple editing/censoring for religious/cultural/etc... references since in those cases the show is not only kept intact but not called something else or being passed off as an original work. It's a matter of compliance for the latter.

I don't recall seeing any other Macross license since Plus and while one could argue the ridiculous amount of song licenses that would need to be acquired for each of the other series, I'm pretty sure that can't be the only reason.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
I don't recall seeing any other Macross license since Plus and while one could argue the ridiculous amount of song licenses that would need to be acquired for each of the other series, I'm pretty sure that can't be the only reason.

Obscure, but showing contempt to the fans is one factor.

mdo7 wrote:
So it's OK for Japan to severely edit our stuff like what they did to Police Quest 2 when it first came to Japan:

I don't think any entertainment industry should edit IP period. However, English site, Western problems.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
double post
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I think the hate lies more in Harmony Gold claiming Robotech is a "different show" than Macross when they clearly used a combination of three titles they acquired, effectively plagiarizing. It's not about simple editing/censoring for religious/cultural/etc... references since in those cases the show is not only kept intact but not called something else or being passed off as an original work. It's a matter of compliance for the latter.

I understand but remember back then they didn't have Youtube, or Hulu or any other way to show the anime other then show it on TV. I think I recall Harmony Gold's cited reasoning for combining these unrelated series was its decision to market Macross for American weekday syndication television, which required a minimum of 65 episodes at the time (thirteen weeks at five episodes per week). Macross and the two other series each had fewer episodes than required since they originally aired in Japan as a weekly series. Yeah TV standard were different back then hence why Southern Cross and Mosapeda was combined, if they didn't put that rule on there then Macross would just be shown only. But at least the Macross section of Robotech was close to the original Japanese show. I think I recall both Mosapeda and Southern Cross was not good in Japan when it was first shown over there hence what's the big deal.

if you want to blame for why other Macross titles beyond Plus hasn't been license, blame Big West.

Sunday Silence wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

I don't think any entertainment industry should edit IP period. However, English site, Western problems.

Yeah but ANN report on other non-anime news, and non-Japanese news. Also people has the right to know on Japan's editing of our stuff because it's hypocritical when people bash the US edit of anime but somehow let Japanese edit of American stuff get away with a free pass from criticism.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I knew Agrama and the PM were both arrested for the same charges, but for whatever reason I didn't know they were in for the same case.

I blame the biased news media Razz
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Who cares about edits? It's the shady and underhanded practice of regionally trademarking property that isn't theirs that makes people hate HG the most. Surely no one that truly loves anime as an art medium can justify and defend regionally trademarking Macross phrases and names to prevent any other competitive licenser from distributing true to the source material.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Most hate of Harmony Gold has noting to do with past censorship. They have actively blocked the legitimate importing of macross products from Japan in the past and even attempted to file a for copyright ownership of Macross even in Japan. They do not act like licencors, they believe all things that were part of Robotech are their property. There are lots of parties involed in macross in Japan and there is a questions of who had the rights to sell or licence the series, questions that would probably require a legal battle that neither side could afford.

Mostly Harmony Gold has produced nothing of Merit in decades, while while Japan Is still producing new series that we can't get because Harmony Gold exists. You don't work with people who do business like Harmony Gold. Copyright patent trolls waiting to cashing to cashing.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold basicly a real estate and distribution company now.

I am grateful for Harmony Gold did to bring Robotech to life during the 80s, but i've not forgiven them for all crap they've caused legally for last 20 years. They've killed number related projects from Comics, to the Robotech spin offs and of course causing Macross from being able fully come over to the US.

I wish Bandai hadn't made rash decision to abandoned the American's market. I wish they had bought out Harmony Gold freeing up darn franchise from current peopel in charge.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Why doesn't this surprise me, goes to show you what is acceptable in today's society.

Wrangler: In the last decade that Bandai has been releasing anime, I get the feeling they were losing more money than actually making money. They decided to pull out long before there was a chance of losing far too much money they could see a similar fate as Geneon, ADV etc.

The anime market of today is much different than even the market less than half a decade ago. Doesn't mean I don't wish that Bandai wouldn't still license anime, but alas times change.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Harmony Gold basicly a real estate and distribution company now.

I see they got a nice little theater on the side if anyone cares to rent it!
http://www.harmonygold.com/theater/

Quote:
I wish Bandai hadn't made rash decision to abandoned the American's market. I wish they had bought out Harmony Gold freeing up darn franchise from current peopel in charge.

Everyone makes mistakes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1