• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detroit's Maid Cafe 'Chou Anime' Closes Its Doors

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sburstall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
wow. THought there would be enough interest in it.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
There is really one real way to make this business work... aside from good food and good service.

spoiler[Hot, Sexy Waitresses]
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
My sentiments exactly Kyuu, or at least cute you know. Using japanese women would probably get the sales up too. I mean lets be honest, who other than Otakus are going to go to a Maid Cafe
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
One thing of note (I hate to say) is also, it's location. Thankfully, with the anime con Youmacon, that's one thing that's still going strong for Detroit with the anime community; but to have a maid cafe, especially with a city that's still rough and trying to come up from a rough city economy, it was bound to happen.

If it was in a city like New York, Los Angeles, or even Orlando, it can fare better.
puck5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for the people that lost their jobs. Hopefully they are able to find work soon.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Still hard to believe that even existed in Detroit to begin with. Definitely not first place I'd expect the focused demographic to be in, at all. Southern California along the coast, maybe.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree there. From what I have heard Detroit has trouble supporting grocery stores, let alone maid cafes.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
GTO Neko wrote:
One thing of note (I hate to say) is also, it's location. Thankfully, with the anime con Youmacon, that's one thing that's still going strong for Detroit with the anime community; but to have a maid cafe, especially with a city that's still rough and trying to come up from a rough city economy, it was bound to happen.

If it was in a city like New York, Los Angeles, or even Orlando, it can fare better.

You shouldn't "hate to say" facts, and that is detroit is bad lol. Still trying to come up, and rough economy? Detroit has been a horrendously bad place since the late 80s/early 90s. Then again not many people can probably remember when Detroit use to be one of the most important city's in the USA.

A maid cafe in NYC (not the bronx or queens obviously lol), but the real nice/upscale areas would work. Other places would be Phoenix AZ, Salt Lake city UT, and Manchester NH. It definitely wouldn't succeed in Los Angeles lol. LA and most California city's are in defaults money wise. San Francisco would be the best city in CA for one.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Im wondering if opening a cosplay ramen shop would be viable near downtown dallas.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
is anyone really surprised it closed?
There just isn't enough otaku/anime-niacs/whatever to sustain such a place all year long. Your everyday joe/jane would rather go a Hooters/Twin Peaks/Tilted Kilts or any of the other "breastaraunts" that are popping all over the U.S.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Really? Do we really need to criticize the appearance of the waitresses in the photo? SMH Keep it classy ANN forumites.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember the maid cafe in San Jose had good looking Japanese and Korean girls and did not attract business. The SF bay area has a good number of ethnic Japanese living here and two Japantowns, one in San Francisco and the other one in San Jose.

I remember sitting outside near the place, enjoying the sunshine and listening to the comments. Most guys thought it was creepy. They wouldn't go in. Surprised me 'cause the girls were really shapely and cute. So you guys who think that it would only work with "yamato" or pretty asian girls are just plain wrong. *no surprise there* Rolling Eyes

I go into the Japantown in San Francisco all the time, since I love the bookstore there. A maid cafe would totally bomb in SF Japantown! Most of the shoppers are women and sometimes families (tourists). The overhead involved in running a business anywhere in the city is incredibly high. You need steady, consistent traffic to make a business successful. L.A. is the same. The only time SF Japantown attracts the kind of crowd (that would go to a maid cafe) is during the Cherry Blossom Festival and the Jpop festival.

If anything would work there, it would be a Butler Cafe thst served elegant English high tea. Seriously, the customer ratio is about 80/20 in favor of women.

Besides all that, both the bay area Japantown businesses are mostly run by Koreans. If you want a real Japanese restaurant, you head down the peninsula to San Mateo. LOL.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Really? Do we really need to criticize the appearance of the waitresses in the photo? SMH Keep it classy ANN forumites.

I find it useful when the parochials and misogynists are so eager to identify themselves.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Well that a shame it seems the maid cafe just dont work in the US
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

If anything would work there, it would be a Butler Cafe thst served elegant English high tea. Seriously, the customer ratio is about 80/20 in favor of women.

You might be on to something there. I know my mother and I would go to a place like that if they served coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4