• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Multitude of Angels

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Angelic Layer: To be honest, I've had my eye on this one for a long time.

Heroman: Well finally. We're never getting the anime in English so this is the next best thing.

Gunsmith Cats: I think you mean complement, not compliment. Anyway, I've had my eye on this too. Lots of nifty manga in today's article.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's canonical manga

I think you mean official. Sadamoto's manga is definitely not canonical, since it invents details that often contradict the official canon - i.e. the anime and its scripts - such as Asuka being a test-tube baby. It's interesting to see what it does differently (even if things somehow wind up the same) but it's an alternate interpretation.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad Angelic Layer got such a high vote on here. It is still one of my favorite CLAMP manga of all time, and one of the first to actually introduce me into the world of CLAMP. I also loved the concept of Angelic Layer. I still wish that it was possible to create dolls and have them compete in competitions just like in the series, since it just seems like it'd be so much fun.

Now, for those that have read the omnibus versus Tokyopop's version, does the omnibus version seem a little more "cleaned up"? Rather, any issues with grammar, different translations, etc.? And how sturdy is the omnibus? I only own the first volume of Tokyopop's version, so I'm more than willing to start collecting the omnibus versions instead of the "originals" in this case if the translations are better and the omnibus is sturdier for multiple readings and things compared the five separate volumes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
LOL, Bandit Keith is Canadian. Also, his name is "Bandit Keith", so there's that.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
Is there anything special about the Evangelion omnibus compared to the individual volumes?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Is there anything special about the Evangelion omnibus compared to the individual volumes?

Hopefully the color pages are actually printed in color like there were in the single-issue comics (used to have the first seven volumes in that form). Just guessing from the 3-in-1 format and the $20 cover price (Viz's omnibus of CLAMP's X is like that), which should also have a larger trim size (5.8" x 8.2" according to the Amazon.com listing).

EDIT: After re-reading the Amazon listing, yes there are color pages.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hooray for Evangelion fans who have pined for but missed collecting the original manga series from its original out-of-print run and now have the chance to collect this alternative retelling (and it definitely has its own special elements that distinguishes it from the anime series and even the Rebuild movies). And if by chance those same people still miss this rerelease before it goes out of print as well--where've you been and what's your excuse? Just get this before it's too late.

I love Gunsmith Cats. Considering Minnie's past occupation, I found her age disturbing, but that's really my only nitpick. Well, that and I never cared for Riding Bean, who should've had his own series to begin with rather than take unwanted spotlight from the main leads. Anyway, what I found funny about it was that (I think it was best explored in a chapter from Burst) it goes into detail about proper gun usage and points out the realities as opposed to the fantasies portrayed in movies (despite the cool-looking factor, holding the gun sideways is not only inefficient, it's pointless to begin with). And yet while it does that, the action of this series can still get so ludicrously, cartoonishly over the top. Apparently it's only as "realistic" as it wants to be, but that's part of its personal charm and in the end it's just plain fun through and through, and a keeper in my library.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Gunsmith Cats has been on my list of mangas to read forever and I haven't got around to buy them. The review has reminded me to get off my keister and plop down some coin.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Angelic Layer is a fantastic series and I'm glad to see it getting some love.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Hooray for Evangelion fans who have pined for but missed collecting the original manga series from its original out-of-print run and now have the chance to collect this alternative retelling.

That would be me.
My pre-order should be in the mailbox soon.

Quote:
And if by chance those same people still miss this re-release before it goes out of print as well--where have you been and what's your excuse? Just get this before it's too late.

The official manga came out in Japan in Dec. 1994...when I was barely a 1 year old baby. =__=

I marathon the original TV series, EoE film, and the first two Rebuild films last year. Suffice to say, I had put this franchise off until I felt I was ready to understand what was going on. I didn't watch it when I was just starting to like anime/manga since I was still trying to figure out how to like/dislike a show based off more than just popularity.

Already bought Omnibus vol. 1 for Angelic Layer and, along with other titles such as Tokyo Babylon, I'm so glad Dark Horse re-released this series. It's a simple fun tournament manga with great art as usual by CLAMP. I'm glad I purchased this.

I'll be searching for the Gunsmith Cats manga since I just fished watching the OVAs. I need to catch up to Blue Exorcist; I paused around vol. 5 or 6.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Dark Horse. Now I can finally finish Angelic Layer.

Heroman sounds interesting, maybe I'll check it out.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Dark Horse is putting out Angelic Layer; even if it isn't my favorite Clamp manga I'm still going to buy all of it.

When it comes to Clamp I think they are great creators but some of their best stories have been tolled once they are handed off to the staff of the anime adaptation. The complaints that you had with the manga, they are added to the anime and everything seems to flow a bit better. I feel the same way about Cardcaptor Sakura; the anime was just a stronger product.

Not all of their stories are like that. (I feel Chobits is the reverse) Still I'm glad that these omnibus versions exist.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sadamoto got me with his version of Shinji who liked teasing others and was less isolated (spoiler[he still goes isolated after Kaworu's death though... but recovers with determination! There are other parts that make sense like Toji's death unlike him surviving in the anime and never appearing again]. Too bad the serialization has been very slow.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Thought #1:So,the "Heroman" manga is coming out in English. I'd love to read it . It sounds interesting. I did hear that the anime may be coming here sooner or later so don't give up hope,guys.

Thought #2:It's nice you did the "Gunsmith Cats" manga. I read a little bit of it. It wasn't too bad. I liked the OVA a lot.

Thought #3:Well,the "Neon Genesis Evangelion" manga's returning,this time in an omnibus form. I saw the anime. It was too dark and gloomy for my tastes. I can assume the manga's going to be the same. I doubt I'd want to read that.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This column still endorses Bandit Keith as the candidate of choice, even though Yu-Gi-Oh! parody jokes have pretty much died of old age.

ANIME NEWS NETWORK REVIEWERS ON MOTORCYCLES!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2