Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Anime Premieres on Syfy's Ani-Monday Tonight


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ktimene's Lover



Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Posts: 2242
Location: Glendale, AZ (Proudly living in the desert)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I am all for watching Monster but I don't like the time they choose. That is, I am in bed by then and usu. get up between 4:45-6:00 am to watch anime or other shows online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
ninjapet



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 1516
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm setting the DVR to record it

Can't wait to see it, I haven't seen the Monster anime before but people keep telling me good things about it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9307
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So at two episodes a week, this will take well over a year to play through, assuming they don't stop because the dub isn't finished, or whatever other reason. Or it isn't canceled. It's a rather long show, anything over 52 is what I'd start to consider being long. If you don't watch pretty much everything in order, you'll be more lost than you would be, say, in a shounen show. With those, you can use your judgment and pretty much construct what's happened so far, but not with a show like Monster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3453
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping the dub is good. (*knock on wood*) My dubfectionism is going to be on hyper-drive since Urasawa is involved.

Unfortunately I think this airs at the same time as the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, and a whole bunch of other late night programming, which won't help its ratings... ah well, I'll check on it during commercials.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus



Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 422
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I will be watching this for sure. Woot! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ



Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Now just give ani-monday 2-3 more hours and [as] actn could show.... whatever seth green made! Rolling Eyes

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I am all for watching Monster but I don't like the time they choose. That is, I am in bed by then and usu. get up between 4:45-6:00 am to watch anime or other shows online.

So I guess your tv is just there for decoration, huh? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nemo_N



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 272
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you don't watch pretty much everything in order, you'll be more lost than you would be, say, in a shounen show. With those, you can use your judgment and pretty much construct what's happened so far, but not with a show like Monster.


Actually, you can do that with Monster too, except perhaps the episodes in the beginning and those towards the end.

I wouldn't advise to do it though, since they are all pretty good and shouldn't be missed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7930
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Monster on Syfy---eat at Sonic! Join the Navy! Medical alert bracelets! Eureka is on Fridays! Sci-Fi Original Movie about Megashark vs Iguana Boy, starring Bruce Campbell! Trantolo & Trantolo!---I sure am excited about cut scenes and seven commercial breaks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malik_chan



Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, Monster on Syfy---eat at Sonic! Join the Navy! Medical alert bracelets! Eureka is on Fridays! Sci-Fi Original Movie about Megashark vs Iguana Boy, starring Bruce Campbell! Trantolo & Trantolo!---I sure am excited about cut scenes and seven commercial breaks!


Shhh! Don't give Siffy any more bad movie ideas!

And since Siffy does that, I think I'll try it out on Chiller and see if the commercial load on there is less.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pocky Monster



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 237
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3453
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you don't watch pretty much everything in order, you'll be more lost than you would be, say, in a shounen show. With those, you can use your judgment and pretty much construct what's happened so far, but not with a show like Monster.


Actually, you can do that with Monster too, except perhaps the episodes in the beginning and those towards the end.

I wouldn't advise to do it though, since they are all pretty good and shouldn't be missed.


Were we reading the same manga???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 3104
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ya it time ill be watching it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chronoclast



Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 97
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The first episode is already streaming on Manga's website, it's the video titled Herr Doctor Tenma. http://www.manga.com/titles/monster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RogueJedi86



Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 501
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I echo the dismay at the inevitable 3 commercials per show that results in many cuts, often to the detriment of plot legibility. They did it with their previous anime, Gundam 00 having the most notorious plot cuts for commercial time(including plot-important episode epilogues). I wouldn't expect them to randomly give Monster preferential treatment. I'll still watch though I suppose.

On the bright side, Liam O'Brien is voicing the main character, so we can expect a stellar dub on his part. Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3453
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
The first episode is already streaming on Manga's website, it's the video titled Herr Doctor Tenma. http://www.manga.com/titles/monster


Is that a legal site?

Quote:
On the bright side, Liam O'Brien is voicing the main character, so we can expect a stellar dub on his part.


While I've liked O'Brien in what I've heard him in, one voice actor does not a dub make, especially not in a series like Monster where you've probably got a hundred characters or more by the time it's done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group