• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Anime Premieres on Syfy's Ani-Monday Tonight

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I am all for watching Monster but I don't like the time they choose. That is, I am in bed by then and usu. get up between 4:45-6:00 am to watch anime or other shows online.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm setting the DVR to record it

Can't wait to see it, I haven't seen the Monster anime before but people keep telling me good things about it
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So at two episodes a week, this will take well over a year to play through, assuming they don't stop because the dub isn't finished, or whatever other reason. Or it isn't canceled. It's a rather long show, anything over 52 is what I'd start to consider being long. If you don't watch pretty much everything in order, you'll be more lost than you would be, say, in a shounen show. With those, you can use your judgment and pretty much construct what's happened so far, but not with a show like Monster.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping the dub is good. (*knock on wood*) My dubfectionism is going to be on hyper-drive since Urasawa is involved.

Unfortunately I think this airs at the same time as the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, and a whole bunch of other late night programming, which won't help its ratings... ah well, I'll check on it during commercials.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I will be watching this for sure. Woot! Smile
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Now just give ani-monday 2-3 more hours and [as] actn could show.... whatever seth green made! Rolling Eyes

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I am all for watching Monster but I don't like the time they choose. That is, I am in bed by then and usu. get up between 4:45-6:00 am to watch anime or other shows online.

So I guess your tv is just there for decoration, huh? Laughing
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you don't watch pretty much everything in order, you'll be more lost than you would be, say, in a shounen show. With those, you can use your judgment and pretty much construct what's happened so far, but not with a show like Monster.

Actually, you can do that with Monster too, except perhaps the episodes in the beginning and those towards the end.

I wouldn't advise to do it though, since they are all pretty good and shouldn't be missed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Monster on Syfy---eat at Sonic! Join the Navy! Medical alert bracelets! Eureka is on Fridays! Sci-Fi Original Movie about Megashark vs Iguana Boy, starring Bruce Campbell! Trantolo & Trantolo!---I sure am excited about cut scenes and seven commercial breaks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, Monster on Syfy---eat at Sonic! Join the Navy! Medical alert bracelets! Eureka is on Fridays! Sci-Fi Original Movie about Megashark vs Iguana Boy, starring Bruce Campbell! Trantolo & Trantolo!---I sure am excited about cut scenes and seven commercial breaks!

Shhh! Don't give Siffy any more bad movie ideas!

And since Siffy does that, I think I'll try it out on Chiller and see if the commercial load on there is less.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this. Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you don't watch pretty much everything in order, you'll be more lost than you would be, say, in a shounen show. With those, you can use your judgment and pretty much construct what's happened so far, but not with a show like Monster.

Actually, you can do that with Monster too, except perhaps the episodes in the beginning and those towards the end.

I wouldn't advise to do it though, since they are all pretty good and shouldn't be missed.

Were we reading the same manga???
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ya it time ill be watching it
chronoclast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The first episode is already streaming on Manga's website, it's the video titled Herr Doctor Tenma. http://www.manga.com/titles/monster
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I echo the dismay at the inevitable 3 commercials per show that results in many cuts, often to the detriment of plot legibility. They did it with their previous anime, Gundam 00 having the most notorious plot cuts for commercial time(including plot-important episode epilogues). I wouldn't expect them to randomly give Monster preferential treatment. I'll still watch though I suppose.

On the bright side, Liam O'Brien is voicing the main character, so we can expect a stellar dub on his part. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
The first episode is already streaming on Manga's website, it's the video titled Herr Doctor Tenma. http://www.manga.com/titles/monster

Is that a legal site?

Quote:
On the bright side, Liam O'Brien is voicing the main character, so we can expect a stellar dub on his part.

While I've liked O'Brien in what I've heard him in, one voice actor does not a dub make, especially not in a series like Monster where you've probably got a hundred characters or more by the time it's done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5