• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films Earn Over 1 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder if these movies will be dubbed in the future.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wonder if they've broken even yet. Should be quite close.
Iromaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wow, I wonder if they've broken even yet. Should be quite close.

They've broken even long ago. Those are not Hollywood movies that cost 200 million $ to make. I really doubt they cost more than 1 million $.

Evangelion Death and Rebirth made 1.1 billion yen and that was considered to be a tremendous success.

Besides, they are going to make lots of money from DVD/BD sales. Probably more than in theaters.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
These are just the 'recap movies' too... (and the question of breaking even... there's no question really. 80% or more of the two movies was old material, just 'updated' for the film release)

The next one is going to be a doozy.

As for a dub... they're probably just going to do as the Japanese release did and completely redo voices for the movies when the disc releases come to the states.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
As for a dub... they're probably just going to do as the Japanese release did and completely redo voices for the movies when the disc releases come to the states.

Whether or not they do that for the majority of the dub, they would have to redo some newly-timed scenes, as well as the completely new scenes themselves.

I'd like to think this is a success for a relatively new series/franchise. =3
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Considering the average Ghibli film, at least if Miyazaki is involved, makes 100 million plus in US dollars, this isnt really anything to write home about. These movies probably wouldn't make the top 25 box office for Japanese animated films.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Considering the average Ghibli film, at least if Miyazaki is involved, makes 100 million plus in US dollars, this isnt really anything to write home about. These movies probably wouldn't make the top 25 box office for Japanese animated films.

They don't need to. As there is a lot of recycled footage they don't need to earn much money to make a profit. Plus the advertising budget would not have been anything like a Hollywood movie.

Plus, the figure of one billion yen is just from the Japanese market, whereas the figure you gave of "100 million plus in US dollars" includes of course box office receipts from America and other countries.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Considering the average Ghibli film, at least if Miyazaki is involved, makes 100 million plus in US dollars,

Plus, the figure of one billion yen is just from the Japanese market, whereas the figure you gave of "100 million plus in US dollars" includes of course box office receipts from America and other countries.

Not necessarily. Here take a look at Miyazaki's films' Japanese B.O., and some of them grossed $100+ million from Japan alone.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Not necessarily. Here take a look at Miyazaki's films' Japanese B.O., and some of them grossed $100+ million from Japan alone.

Yeah, you may want to look at your figures 'cause they don't add up. His most successful film domestically was Ponyo which only earned US$15.1m from Japan. That's still a great number, but not the $100m you claimed it was.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, you may want to look at your figures 'cause they don't add up. His most successful film domestically was Ponyo which only earned US$15.1m from Japan. That's still a great number, but not the $100m you claimed it was.

Domestic numbers for Box Office Mojo are always for the United States only, thus Ponyo made $15.1 million in the U.S. For Japan, it made a helluva lot more. A quick search at Wikipedia reveals it made $153.1 million in Japan, with $91 million coming from its first month alone.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Oh, I see.

I just wish enurtsol had provided a better link.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh, I see.

I just wish enurtsol had provided a better link.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Best I could find in short notice. Though I guess I could've linked at each film's Japan B.O. individually, like Spirited Away's. But I had a good lazy reason. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
Nah it's cool. I should have realised that as an American website Box Office Mojo considers "domestic" earnings to be those in America, even for a Japanese film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1