• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Berserk Film Restricted With R18+ Rating

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Seems about right.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well gosh, I should hope so. I was worried that they might tone it down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
this does not surprise me
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that seems about right. After all, there's so much violence and rape and violence and story and more violence and more rape in those books. Razz Be curious to know what section of the story arc the 3rd film is covering.

I'm also curious about the first Mardock Scramble. All this talk about this "mature" rating. It didn't seem so to me. Unless I missed something. I caught the first screening at the last NYAF, so I don't know which one they screened. I guess I'll have to do a little homework and watch both versions since I own the 'director's cut'.
partially

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
As others have said this is hardly a surprise.

About Mardock Scramble, the rating I believe was because of the various introduced themes. E.g. the prostitution and particularly the serial killers forget their names, and their various 'obsessions', rather than the violence. Hence why Second Combustion which didn't have as much lurid stuff in it, didn't get quite as high a rating despite having a fair bit of violence too.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Does not seem consistent at all actually. The manga is NOT R18. Mardock Scramble on video--director's cut--is also NOT R18, and a whole host of many other books and videos.

Well at least this 18+ has no legal force behind it, just like other rating systems in the US, as it only applies to theaters (Eirin), and I'm sure once it hits video it will change to "unrated" (i.e. not R18) like all the others
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Why do I have this very strange feeling that this age restriction has something to do with that "youth ordinance" bill that was passed by former Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
well, if the third movie is depicting Griffith becoming Femto and everything that leads up to it, then the rating makes perfect sense.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Why do I have this very strange feeling that this age restriction has something to do with that "youth ordinance" bill that was passed by former Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara?

I don't know. Why do you have that feeling? Berserk is pretty blatantly R18 stuff. (Especially this part). I don't really think any special explanation is necessary here.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
If the author did not intend or publish it as purely 18+, then the movies shouldn't be either.

Is there some magical difference between someone in the middle of highschool vs a senior in highschool (basically 1st and 2nd year vs 3rd year in Japan). That person will basically still view it the same, react the same, think the same, from their junior yr to the day they turn 18. Moreover, what's the actual basis? The actual involuntary harm? If there is, why then is it restricted to just theaters? If this is somehow objectively the case (i.e. universally true), how is it not so with indie theaters showing films not Eirin rated? And what's the magic that reverts this when it hits home video?

(Note that similar questions apply for CERO, which is even more ridiculous, ESRB, MPAA, et. al.)
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:

I don't know. Why do you have that feeling? Berserk is pretty blatantly R18 stuff. (Especially this part). I don't really think any special explanation is necessary here.

The bill makes it illegal to sell & rent "harmful material" such as manga & anime DVDs to minors under 18. If the Tokyo government's elderly officials view it as "harmful", then that's the law in their eyes.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
This is less about actual content, and more about not emotionally scarring the youth of Japan with the Golden Age Arc's final plot points.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Yeah that seems about right. After all, there's so much violence and rape and violence and story and more violence and more rape in those books. Razz Be curious to know what section of the story arc the 3rd film is covering.

I'm also curious about the first Mardock Scramble. All this talk about this "mature" rating. It didn't seem so to me. Unless I missed something. I caught the first screening at the last NYAF, so I don't know which one they screened. I guess I'll have to do a little homework and watch both versions since I own the 'director's cut'.

3rd film is the eclipse. And yeah, if this 3rd movie wasn't age restricted, it'd mean it be dumbed down from the manga. I imagine the film's version will be more graphic than the original anime was seeing as how the scenes with Griffith and Charlotte having sex are more explicit than in the original anime TV series. Makes sense, anyway.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

NYAF screened the regular version. The director's cut has more explicit underage sex scenes.

configspace wrote:
If the author did not intend or publish it as purely 18+, then the movies shouldn't be either.

Though pragmatically irrelevant since different media ratings boards function independently, and they just rate whatever is in front of them.

configspace wrote:

Is there some magical difference between someone in the middle of highschool vs a senior in highschool (basically 1st and 2nd year vs 3rd year in Japan). That person will basically still view it the same, react the same, think the same, from their junior yr to the day they turn 18. Moreover, what's the actual basis? The actual involuntary harm? If there is, why then is it restricted to just theaters? If this is somehow objectively the case (i.e. universally true), how is it not so with indie theaters showing films not Eirin rated? And what's the magic that reverts this when it hits home video?

(Note that similar questions apply for CERO, which is even more ridiculous, ESRB, MPAA, et. al.)

Just how ratings boards work. Businesses don't have to follow them, but they do. Just to cover their asses. Just business.

revolutionotaku wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:

The bill makes it illegal to sell & rent "harmful material" such as manga & anime DVDs to minors under 18. If the Tokyo government's elderly officials view it as "harmful", then that's the law in their eyes.

That's just Tokyo though. Film ratings board is national stuff. They won't care what just one part of the nation thinks.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

3rd film is the eclipse. And yeah, if this 3rd movie wasn't age restricted, it'd mean it be dumbed down from the manga. I imagine the film's version will be more graphic than the original anime was seeing as how the scenes with Griffith and Charlotte having sex are more explicit than in the original anime TV series. Makes sense, anyway.

Exactly. I read the manga so years back (still have to catch up now) that's why I'm making the jokes. So be curious to see how this film pans out. Well, I'm wondering based on the OP sequence of the first film are they going to cover anything up to Farnese. As she was in the OP montage.

enurtsol wrote:

NYAF screened the regular version. The director's cut has more explicit underage sex scenes.

Really? Now it makes sense. I should've known as you can't have a such a screening, as you would have to have "cleaner version". I guess I'll have to check out the director's cut version now. I also bought the regular version because at that time the DC wasn't out yet. So I thought it was the only release on the market, until a few weeks later. Argh. The price was what got me. Of course I was quite pissed when the complete version came out. I hadn't a clue that was going to happen so I'm stuck with it. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2