• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi People

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
there's no need to rush through Gintama. the show is mostly episodic, so it can be watched at your own pace. i tend to just sit down and watch a few episodes when i'm bored. what makes Gintama so good is the cast of characters. Also it's not just another generic gag show, there are some really fantastic action arcs. "Benizakura" and "Itou" right off the bat.

I thought Stanley Tucci was the only really good thing about "The Lovely Bones". he deserves a "Best Supporting Actor" nod for sure.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Cromartie and Gintama have a lot in common. There might be a lot of puns, but that is by no means the only form of humor there. You just gotta watch it slowly. You might get the point where you do watch a good deal of episodes a day. I did about 50 in three weeks once.

As for the budget episodes, they poke fun of that a lot. Tons of episodes where a good 5 minutes are a single shot with with the characters complaining about stuff. The best was an entire episode of one long shot of an oden stand worker serving the people their food as they complained about their lives. Probably one of the few anime comedies to actually employ comedic timing and sarcasm. Fanservice happens too, as does manservice, S&M, bondage gear, other fetishes. The show is amazingly raunchy despite its timeslot and demographic. That's why it works at so many levels. The best thing is when it wants to have a serious fighting arc, it does so, better than Bleach or Naruto ever could.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I've heard that The Lovely Bones was so great and popular because it was really well written ... and that doesn't translate well to the movie.

Ch-ch-ch-chip and dale's RESCUE RANGERS. Oh man ... blast from the past there!

How can you guys not know what Umineko is? Living under a rock? Wink Not that I really liked the anime all that much (dropped it about halfway through) ... sounds promising about Funimation releasing Kai.

I honestly DON'T see a huge quality difference between DVD and blu-ray to be honest (when both discs are played on a blu-ray player). So I don't mind buying DVD's ... especially so long as I still have a 20 inch 5+ year old tv and a dvd/vhs player combo in my apartment ... God, I'm so behind. Oh well ... my fiance has a 50 inch flat screen and a PS3 ... so I will start buying blu-ray in the future.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I honestly DON'T see a huge quality difference between DVD and blu-ray to be honest (when both discs are played on a blu-ray player). So I don't mind buying DVD's ... especially so long as I still have a 20 inch 5+ year old tv and a dvd/vhs player combo in my apartment ...

lol, yes, of course you're not going to see any difference on that!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
I honestly DON'T see a huge quality difference between DVD and blu-ray to be honest (when both discs are played on a blu-ray player). So I don't mind buying DVD's ... especially so long as I still have a 20 inch 5+ year old tv and a dvd/vhs player combo in my apartment ...

No no ... I mean, when I watch on my fiance's tv - 50 inch flat screen. I mean, blu-ray is a little crisper, but it isn't night and day, really (between a blu-ray and a dvd). The blu-ray player makes the dvd's look a bit crisper, though (or maybe it's just the giant tv) ... I mean, I can actually marathon a subtitled show without feeling like my eyes are going to bleed afterwards Very Happy

Anyway ... want to see a HUGE difference? Pop in an old VHS - now THAT's scary!!
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Yumeiro Pâtissière?? Never heard of it. Then again I don't keep up with the currently airing stuff. Sounds interesting though, kinda cute. Sounds like something Rightstuf would license. Murder-suicide Zac? Wow...guess that totally isn't your show. I like some girly things like Petite Princess Yucie and Princess Tutu, but I TOTALLY get what you mean, sometimes a show just feels like it has nothing for yah, totally childish and girly, and nothing there. Some shows have nothing that adults would like at all. Still if I ever watch it, I'll be the judge on that Razz .

Justin can put himself in the mind of a 14 year old little girl who loves cake? Shocked I learn something new every podcast Wink .

Justin, yes the Lord of the Ring films are incredbly boring Wink . I was forced to watch all three in the movie threaters, and it was a terrible experience.

Fooly Cooly - My all time favorite series. I'm so happy that Funi's saving that. Even though I already own the original release, I'll be double dipping on that.

Big brakeout hit that touches the mainstream? Death Note would count I think, doesn't it? That was after FMA.

Justin: Night Shift Nurses was fun? LOL

Also it's not "Doggie Poo", but Anime Network has streaming rights to "The Boy Who Wanted to be a Bear" . So I'm guessing that ones already taken, and that goes hand and hand with Doggie Poo as the weird world animation CPM got into (well also their Korean stuff). Personally I want to see "Doggie Poo". I hope they get that too. It made a whole group of people watching it at a con cry. Now I can't imagine a lot of people actually would go to such a screening, but I do hear good things about it. It's easy to make fun of it, but I hear it's actually decent.

I bought almost all the singles for Case Closed, and I bought the seasons as they were coming out. Well I still need to get the last season. Sorry but I'm not that rich, that I can buy everything. But I truly supported that series as much as I can. I even have double dipped (in singles) on the first and second volumes, because Funi started to re-release the show again. There was no way I could have poored anymore cash into that. I cry because if Funimation doesn't release anymore season sets that will be a real shame. It's such a great show. I don't want to see it stop coming out Sad .

Anyway great podcast guys! Hope to see some Media Blasters, Bandai and Section 23 folks on one of your podcasts in the future. You already did Geneon and Rightstuf. Very interesting podcast.

Last edited by Prede on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
The Big Windup news was disappointing to hear. I should have bought them when they came out... Not that my single purchase would have made them get the 2nd season, but still. At least I wouldn't feel as bad. They still might get it in 2 years or so (wishful thinking)...

And before people start pitching (pun!) shows FUNi should co produce... A Dresdren Files anime would be awesome!
krelyan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

No no ... I mean, when I watch on my fiance's tv - 50 inch flat screen. I mean, blu-ray is a little crisper, but it isn't night and day, really (between a blu-ray and a dvd). The blu-ray player makes the dvd's look a bit crisper, though (or maybe it's just the giant tv) ... I mean, I can actually marathon a subtitled show without feeling like my eyes are going to bleed afterwards Very Happy

Anyway ... want to see a HUGE difference? Pop in an old VHS - now THAT's scary!!

That's because the TV or player is upscaling the DVD. Trying running the DVD player through the standard A/V cables and then comparing the difference. Smile
AJtheFourth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
The Big Windup news was disappointing to hear. I should have bought them when they came out... Not that my single purchase would have made them get the 2nd season, but still. At least I wouldn't feel as bad. They still might get it in 2 years or so (wishful thinking)...

I agree! As soon as I noticed a mention of Big Windup! in the show notes, it became the part of the podcast I looked forward to the most, only to be disappointed by the news. I bought the entire series and it's been my most beloved and successful 'force-lend' to friends. It's sad that, not only does this mean that we will never see the upcoming second season licensed in the U.S., but recent sports gems like Cross Game will also never be licensed.

Sad...

(edit=forgot to attribute quote, whoops!)

Last edited by AJtheFourth on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Very interesting and informative podcast. Zac, Justin, this podcast has quickly become the "go-to" source for info on all things anime. Like the Larry King Live of anime if you will. I meant that comparison to be in stature/respectability as opposed to content/relevance.

And to those pitching a fit about the current roll out riot spoiler[Lance said there are more titles to announce after this current week, so try and calm down.]
Justp94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
I Sure as hell hope FUNI doesn't go to the sub only direction! I was made that Nozomi did it.. But after i heard that interview i understand why... and like the FUNi people said.. Poeple just cant wait for the box sets.. Even though i do prefer box sets.. LOL I really do hope if not this year.. that next year they liscense for Case Closed.. it is a show that u can watch at anytime.. when a friend comes over.. with ur family.. anytime.... OH Thanks Guys for another great Interview!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid for what they're going to do to FLCL when they create the Blu-Ray version.

From most FLCL fans, let me say....please just a straight upscale. Don't filter it.

Otherwise, thanks for coming on the podcast guys, and thanks for this weeks episode Justin/Zac

edit: Oh, and please include the original dub on the discs. I realize that it may not be possible due to licensing, but it'll be a shame if the nostalgic dub is gone.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Zac: "Arizona is the worst place [for weather]"

I hope no one from T.H.E.M. was offended. Wink

"nothing there for me"

I'm hoping CR uploads Bartender already myself...

"I didn't think Cromartie worked dubbed"

Actually, I thought the dub was funnier than the sub on that one, because the American side had a better voice cast.

"Can't go back to LOTR"

The multiple endings in ROTK were the final straw, eh? Laughing

"If he's only producing"

So does this mean you anticipate the Del Toro Hobbit?

Justin: "blood pressure"

Take care of your diet and weight, dude.

"boring as hell"

The Two Towers has always been worthless to me, even in book form.

"I hated [LOTR]"

But what about Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, and Dead-Alive?

(Lance) [It's all about] effective marketing."

Speaking of the opposite, did DB:E hurt your bottom line?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys for getting a blu-ray quality question on the show.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Oh, and please include the original dub on the discs. I realize that it may not be possible due to licensing, but it'll be a shame if the nostalgic dub is gone.

Nostalgia nothing, it's an excellent dub by all rights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13