• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Makes English Evangelion Tourism Map, Poster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I was aware of these tourism maps, though I'm happy to see they are now being translated into English.

Before you get your hopes up, there really isn't much in Hakone that was also in the "Tokyo-3" of the TV series: the idea was that the *new* city "Tokyo-3" was built in what used to be Hakone...but Hakone doesn't exactly have retractable skyscrapers or Eva launch points Smile

Bits and pieces of the "old city" (the northern edge of Tokyo-3 ) look a bit more normal and from original-Hakone, but again...there really isn't much to see.

Probably the biggest similarity is just the landscape itself: Gainax actually made sure that the skyline for the surrounding mountains matched depending on where they put the "camera", and yes you can see Mt. Fuji fairly prominently...and Lake Ashi itself. But that's just landscape.

Trivia: in episode 4, Shinji runs away to the surrounding mountain trails, and we briefly see him sitting *in front of* the guard-rail for a steep cliff: it's actually a famous real-life suicide spot in Hakone (Anno has described Shinji as too weak-willed to even successfully commit suicide; the unspoken implication was that he tried to kill himself but chickened out).

Other than that..."Tokyo-3 Junior High School" is actually sort of a mix between the design of Hakone's Junior High School and High School itself. It's not exactly the same but you can tell they combined them.

Probably the one building that appears in real-life Hakone as it does in the series, is the train station itself (seen when Shinji runs away in episode 4, also episode 19)...though there has been some reconstruction lately so while *at the time* in 1995 that's what it looked like, it's been 15 years so its not quite the same anymore.

In all seriousness, *don't* plan a trip to Japan purely to visit "the real-life Tokyo-3" because it's fictitious...I mean, do you expect to see the full "Nerv Headquarters" building and retractable skyscrapers?

If you're *already* on a trip to Japan and happen to be in the Mount Fuji area, I would think its worth an afternoon to swing by and just go "oh look, there's Lake Ashi, and you can see Mt. Fuji from here"....but most of the "setting" for Eva hasn't really been built in real life. Except the schools, but what are they going to do, let a random unknown foreign wander around inside a school with children?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
thats cool I need to get me one of those maps some how
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Trivia: in episode 4, Shinji runs away to the surrounding mountain trails, and we briefly see him sitting *in front of* the guard-rail for a steep cliff: it's actually a famous real-life suicide spot in Hakone (Anno has described Shinji as too weak-willed to even successfully commit suicide; the unspoken implication was that he tried to kill himself but chickened out).

You learn something every day. In light of this, I suppose many fans such as myself weren't quite aware of the extent to which Shinji wanted to escape from his problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else find it ironic how we've been getting a lot of news on Evangelion the past few days? The release date of 2.22, the Live Action movie update, this? I wonder if that means anything at all...

On topic, though, really cool. I actually want this! Anime hyper
mckg1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Thats way cool. I'll have to check these places out when i cisit Japan!
mckg1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
"Visit" lol Typo Embarassed
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
Anyone else find it ironic how we've been getting a lot of news on Evangelion the past few days? The release date of 2.22, the Live Action movie update, this? I wonder if that means anything at all...

It means that the Third Impact is about to happen. We'd better take shelter. Where's Nerv when we need them. Don't panic *slap*. For god's sake Shinji, if you run this time we're all dead, all dead. Don't worry, all we gotta do is to implant our genes into cockroaches.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Da Games Elite wrote:

It means that the Third Impact is about to happen. We'd better take shelter. Where's Nerv when we need them. Don't panic *slap*. For god's sake Shinji, if you run this time we're all dead, all dead. Don't worry, all we gotta do is to implant our genes into cockroaches.

And don't let me tell you, if you watch this week's Hanamaru Youchien Ep. 5, there are a bunch of Evangelion references.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
It looks like we're going off-subject here. (Somehow people goes off-tangent when it comes to Evangelion...)
Sure I want to Hakone area for Evangelion related scenery, but I would love to visit other parts of Japan as well. I want to see either Tenchi Muyo or Lucky Star shrine. The site I want to see most is the neighborhood where "Girl who leapt through time" was based from.

Good thing about Anime scenery tour is that traveler can describe his trips to anyone without sounding weird. You could just say, "Oh this is their downtown" without mentioning the anime title. Any fans can go visit Akihabara, but visiting the area feels like almost being a part of the show that you like.

Anyway, it looks like Japan really is starving for tourist money. Going far to print English tourist maps to attract visitors to some non-metropolitan areas... By the way, any "True Tears" fan here? Toyama is gearing up for tourism.

I just found this video clip of actual Anime scenery sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnhdeWMl8A4

Sites:Kamichu, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Manabi Straight, Chocotto Sister, Kujibiki Unbalance, Azumanga Daioh, Air

More sites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-c783SIoRw

For Haruhi fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0AWXx4uWcE
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Damn. That Eva map is so much cooler than the one I got in Akihabara. They were doing some kinda promo with Lord of the Rings Online of all things. Plus I didn't find an English one. Pretty much had friends staying in Japan as tour guides anyway.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
In all seriousness, *don't* plan a trip to Japan purely to visit "the real-life Tokyo-3" because it's fictitious...

I'm not sure what to make of a post like this... either that the author is seriously underestimating people's intelligence by suggesting that there are people who would believe that Tokyo-3 exists, or that there are people who do believe that Tokyo-3 is an actual location...

Truth is folks, Tokyo-3 doesn't exist... yet. Not for another five years folks. Very Happy

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1