• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Tournament Proposals - Results!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Please see this post for information on voting.

EDIT #2: Please see this post for voting results.

First, I feel I must apologize to our regular players for not getting to this back after the Fall Preview Guide, like I had originally said; it certainly was not my intent for us to have three months of down time. Unfortunately this unexpectedly ended up being the most hectic August-November period I've probably had since my senior year of college - and that was 18 years ago. But that's more under control now and I should have more time the rest of this month to get our next tournament set up.

Whatever we end up doing, the time frame is going to be a bit tighter on this one. The goal is to have this upcoming tournament ready to start by no later than January 3rd, as that's about the time that the Winter Preview Guide work will hit for me. That means we're only going to have about a week total to discuss ideas and then vote (if needed) and a week and a half after that to assemble the roster of participants.

For those who have not participated in our forum tournaments before, these are bracketed single elimination tournaments which set characters or groups within a certain criteria against each other head-to-head. Discussing the relative merits of characters within the given categories is at least half the fun, but there is a long tradition of serious evaluation of merits, too. The category used and the roster of participants are both chosen by general vote; this is the first stage.

PAST TOURNAMENTS
These categories have been used before, so neither they nor any idea very similar to them is eligible to be used again:

Best Supporting Character (2010)

Best Team/Organization (2009-2010)

Best Hero/Heroine (2009)

Most Clever/Intelligent Character (2008-2009)

Best Duo (2008)

Most Evil Character (2007-2008)

Crazy Character (2006-2007)

Moe Character (2005-2006)

PROPOSALS
We have the weekend to discuss this and propose other ideas. Unless we come to a consensus prior to then, we will go to a vote sometime Monday evening (EST).

Towards the end of the last tournament I suggested that I might have a solution to the conflict between the long-standing desire by some to have a Biggest Bad-Ass tournament and the exclusionary nature of the subject matter (its pool of contenders would mostly draw from action-oriented titles). I have given this a lot of thought and propose that we meld the Bad-Ass concept into a more general Coolest Character contest. Bad-Asses are inherently cool, after all, but coolness certainly isn't limited to action figures; it also applies to those who can impress with their style and overwhelm with their charm. The suave ladies' man with sparkling beauty from a shoujo series might also fall into this category, as might the character who remains calm, collected, and in control in even the most adverse situations. It would certainly be a category broad enough to be available to plentiful discussion and we shouldn't have much trouble coming up with a sufficient-sized field of contestants. If there are concerns about the Bad-Ass subgroup dominating, we could divide the field into Bad-Ass and non-Bad-Ass Groups.

We will, of course, also consider other reasonable proposals. Do keep in mind, though, that any proposed idea must be broad enough to leave room for plentiful discussion and a wide range of participants from across a wide range of anime titles. Ideas which do not do this will not be allowed to go to a vote.

EDIT: A bit of reformatting

Last edited by Key on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
I am still all for the badass tourney, though your coolest character proposal would definitely widen the field. I'm also for the badass and non badass field split. However, with half the field amount for pure badass or non-badass, I would suggest only allowing two characters max per series instead of the normal three if we were to do this and split the field like that. Or maybe two max per field side with the three max total. I just feel like the normal three would mean getting flooded with popular shonen and might have characters from lesser known series drop by the wayside because of room issues.

Also, Best old character was floating around last time. Not sure how "old" would be defined though, old for anime is, like Ginko or Taichi Keaton's age (mid 30s) and older but in real life I don't think a lot of 30 year olds consider themselves to be "really old" like anime characters tend to have you think. Like, would it be limited only to those with greying hair or what?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
My proposition is The Best Rivals, it’s broad, it has a wide range of anime titles. Rivals can be found in all genres: action series, for example: Lulu – Suzaku and in shoujo, for example: Yuu and Ginta from Marmalade Boy, etc. There should be tension between rivals that would make viewers to be on the edge of the seat. It can be two enemies that hate each with a passion or two rivals that respect each other, for example: Hikaru and Akira from Hikaru no Go.

I am ok with the idea of the coolest character if the field is evenly divided into two subgroups. Two questions about the coolest character, are non-human characters that can speak allowed? I think that Madara from Natsume Yuujinchou is an ideal candidate. Another question is, are series from this fall season allowed? I ask because I would nominate Takuto form Star Driver for having the most fabulous and coolest transformation scene in the galaxy.... anime.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Two questions about the coolest character, are non-human characters that can speak allowed? I think that Madara from Natsume Yuujinchou is an ideal candidate.

I see no reason to limit "coolest character" to human (or even humanoid) characters; in fact, I can think of a couple of cases where AIs might reasonably qualify. Almost any character which has a distinct identity, personality, and mode of communication could at least be considered.

Quote:
Another question is, are series from this fall season allowed?

By the time we start the game the Fall TV season will be over, so since the requirement has always been that at least one full season's worth of material must be available, any Fall season series will be eligible regardless of what category we eventually run with.

Concerning Best Old Character, my concern there is how we define that. If we define it as "obvious senior citizens" then our options will be very limited, as there just aren't that many characters that age out there who have substantial roles. If we set any other age requirement, the problem becomes determing how old some characters are. There's also the issue of how immortal or otherwise long-lived characters who don't look old should fit here; consider Eclair and Lumiere from Kiddy Grade, Mina Tepes in Dance in the Vampire Bund, or Evangeline in Negima, for instance. And what criteria would the characters be judged upon anyway?

Best Rivals is more viable and something I might be interested in doing at some point, though I am a bit concerned about not having enough good options. That could be more interesting and feasible if not just limited to individual rivalries (SNT Gatchaman vs. Galactor, for instance).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit....haha, damn--would ya look at that! I wasn't a lurker of this board at the time the Best Hero/Heroine contest was held, so I had no idea who had won, but I couldn't be happier that Shu(my favorite character from my favorite series) tied for the win. Very Happy Heh, I'm just really glad to hear that. Nice job, people. Cool

More on topic, though, it's funny that this topic popped up today since I was just wondering when the next tourney was gonna start yesterday. Anyway, if I had to pick something to go with for the next tourney, I'd personally go with the aforementioned Best Badass/Coolest Character thing. Suprised that hasn't already been done, and seeing what the fanbase considers to be "cool/badass," since I'm sure the definition of it differs between most of us, would be interesting.

So, yeah. I'd go with that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the Bad-ass category and even better with a "Coolest" character tourney.

I have a couple other suggestions though.
Instead of Best Old Character I think Best Mentor would provide a wider category that includes the majority of older characters and includes teachers and Sempais of all ages.

But I do think there is an age specific category that would work and provide a wide variety of characters, and that's the one on the opposite end of the spectrum, Best Kid/Child Character. I'm not exactly sure where the cut-off should be, (pre-teen or Middle-school or lower- as long as the character is mainly a "child" for the majority of the series) but it would be a category to cover child prodigies, precosious trouble-makers, card tourney players, younger siblings, scary kids, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Anyway, if I had to pick something to go with for the next tourney, I'd personally go with the aforementioned Best Badass/Coolest Character thing. Suprised that hasn't already been done, and seeing what the fanbase considers to be "cool/badass," since I'm sure the definition of it differs between most of us, would be interesting.

It never gets done because while there is a vocal faction who actively campaign for it, there is another larger faction who although don't rail against it in the nominations thread will vote it down with their negative vote in the voting phase. So what usually happens is you'll have the badass group who probably has the largest following along with 3-5 other choices, but most of the people who support one of the 3-5 do not want a bad ass tourney, so the second most populated group wins the nominations. But that's the way it is supposed to work. The idea is to find a tournament that is the most appealing to the most people. (I also suspect that the people who support the BA tourney are more inclined to still participate in another one, whereas many of those who supported another tournament would be unwilling to participate if BA won. I seem to remember some voters saying this flat out, but I might be mistaken.)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
It never gets done because while there is a vocal faction who actively campaign for it, there is another larger faction who although don't rail against it in the nominations thread will vote it down with their negative vote in the voting phase.

This isn't quite the case. I still have records of previous votes, and even without the negative points, Badass still would have been second (which it was anyway). In the tournament selection before that Badass would have only tied for second had their been no negative votes, and prior to that, Badass came in third, and there were no down votes at all for that one.

Anyway, I like the idea of a coolest character tournament, although I'm not sure I like that a potential future Badass tournament will be blocked because of it. While characters like Alucard and Spike Speigel will, I imagine, still fare very well, I think I'd vote against nominations for characters like Guts or Dark Schneider, who are kind of massive jerks.

Regarding potential lack of entrants for a Best Old Character, well, people have been suggesting we cut down a round of the tournament to keep it flowing quicker, so if it wins and we just don't get that big of a qualifying list, we can try out how a shorter tournament fairs.

Also, I want to make aware well ahead of time that I will again host a mini-game with the usual spectacular prizes (Up to $150 worth of stuff of your choosing!). Details will come once the tournament itself chosen and populated.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so our bloc is just the loudest. That's similar to what I said. Smile (I think some of this topic's supporters have moved on with their lives, so it probably won't happen this time either.)

Anyway, I sat the last tournament and a half out because I felt like those two tournaments' topics were too nebulous. I just want this tournament to have a clearly defined topic. I don't think Old Person will work, it just doesn't make much sense to me. Who is better, Coach Kamagawa or Chief Aramaki? One is a good teacher/trainerand the is a good planner/strategist, but they don't really have any common traits, other than that they are old. If the only thing tying the field together is their age, then it just becomes who is older, which I find silly.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
My nominations:
Best Teacher: Applied to persons who teach at schools, academies, or other class settings. This should also be a short contest, especially since it's this close to the holidays.

Best Space Vehicle: Do we really need to limit to people? I'd like to know if the winner turns out to be a mecha unit (space ability required) or a starship.

Best Background: How much do you all really notice? Let's find out.

Well, I'm tapped.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I think Coolest Character definitely is a good option that incorporates Badass as well as appealing to those who have voted against that tournament in the past.

I think Mentor might be a better option than older character (though they encompass very similar things) mainly because there is more there to actually judge (teaching style and effectiveness and stuff like that). This could involve teachers as well as other characters in a mentor-role.

I don't have any other ideas at the moment but those two are definitely ones that I would support.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I think Best Mentor would be a good way to combine aspects of Best Old Person with Best Teacher into one tournament, although it could also have "Sempai" type characters as well. It should be relatively easy to judge and will almost certainly engender some good discussion. I'll vote for it when the time comes.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
To tap into some of PetrifiedJello's suggestions, how about Best Vehicle? We could have some Mach 5 mania or Lagoon love in that one. How about Best Weapon? Would you take Vash's pistol or Ichigo's Zangretsu? What about Best School? Would you rather attend Ouran, or would you take classes in Academy City? Or what about Best Catchphrase? Do you "Believe It!" or do you ask "Who the hell do you think I am?!"
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
What about something more outside the box? Something like Anime Character Most Likely to _____, or Best use of _____ in an Anime, or Best _____ Scene in an Anime?

For the first one it would assume the character was a real person in the real world, so the topic would be something like ...Become President, but less lame. This one along with the third blank is probably better suited to a short tournament.

The second one... I don't know what I'm thinking here, but this is a safe place to suggest ideas, right?

The obvious choice to fill in the third blank is Death, but perhaps something much less spoilerific.

I also think a Most Skilled (with weapon of choice) might be fun. Is Goemon better with his sword than Vash is with his gun than Lafiel is with her Basroil than Azuma is with his bat than Ed with his Alchemy than Ed is with her computer? I think this one could foster some entertaining hypotheticals and arguments.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
In the manner of some other left-field suggestions, what about Best (or most memorable) hairstyle? Or perhaps Best (or most memorable) eyes? To anyone new to anime they're the most distinctive things.

Seriously, though. I suspect Coolest / Biggest Badass Character is likely to get up. Even if it's the more generic "coolest" I think the tournament will likely become a de facto "biggest badass" contest.

That brings me to my question. What exactly is a "badass"? It's an American term that is gaining currency here in Australia but isn't yet widespread.

Can a "good" character be a badass? Is Batou from Ghost in the Shell a badass? If so, what makes him a badass? Is it his propensity to shoot first before asking questions that makes him a badass?

Is a badass an ambiguous character? Is Mireille Bouquet from Noir a badass? If so, is it because she'll shoot you without blinking?

Can a villain be a badass? Is the Count from Gankutsuou a badass? Is it because he is all-round cool despite being a thoroughly frightening piece of work?

Better yet, when is a villain not a badass?

I suppose the nomination process would sort it out but I'd like to read people's opinions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4