• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
NOTE: This tournament has now officially concluded. Click here for the final results.

What is a hero? The dictionary says it's a figure endowed with great courage and strength who performs bold exploits, as that is the interpretation most common in classic literature. The label "hero" has also commonly been applied to those who perform great deeds for the benefit of others, often at the risk or sacrifice of their life, such as the pilot who valiantly guided a commercial airliner into a non-fatal landing on a river or a firefighter who boldly rushes into a burning building to save a child. In more recent times it can refer to someone who is idolized and/or venerated as an inspiration. Sports figures fall into this category, but it could also be teachers or even parents. But who and what makes the best hero in anime? That is what this tournament will determine.

Everyone does, of course, have their own definition of what it means to be a hero, but for purposes of this tournament heroes are characters who, through actions or by example, prove themselves worthy of honor and respect. They might perform great deeds, protect people, save lives, act for the well-being of all, or just generally serve as an inspiration to others, and in any case offer an appeal above and beyond their personality quirks and determination. Please use this as a guideline when deciding who to vote for in each match-up, rather than just voting for your favorite or the most popular. If you aren’t familiar with a character in a match-up, check out the Guide provided below. There’s no excuse for uninformed decisions!

NOTE: Since this tournament is being run on an English-language site based in North America, official English spellings, title translations, and naming conventions will be observed in any case where it matters.

Tournament Rules/Standards:
1. This is a single elimination tournament using a standard advancement bracket.
2. Advancement is determined by receiving a plurality of votes in a given match-up. In the event of a tie, all tying participants advance.
3. The field is divided into four lettered Groups, each representing one of the four major branches of the bracket. Until Round 5, one Group at a time will be voted on for each round.
4. Each voting phase will last exactly one week, beginning and ending at 11 p.m. Monday forum time, which is GMT-6. (This will be changed to midnight Tuesday if the forum clock ever gets adjusted for DST.) No votes posted after the cut-off time will be accepted, even if an official end to the round hasn’t been announced.
5. Anyone who is a registered forum member in good standing (i.e. you aren’t currently banned) is allowed to vote, regardless of whether or not you’ve participated in any previous round or group. However, you must vote for all match-ups in a particular week or none of your votes will be counted.
6. With the beginning of Round 3, providing reasons for your votes is now required, as not everyone is going to know every character and convincing arguments have proven to be a major factor in past tournaments.
7. Key is the final arbiter of the tournament unless he specifically passes on authority to someone else.
8. Please note that this is a tournament strictly for anime characters. Deeds/characterizations offered in manga, novels, or games which go beyond what is shown in the anime version are inadmissible for consideration.
9. Changing votes is allowed, in which case you must both correct the vote in your original post and put up a new post indicating that you have changed a vote (and which one). Any vote change must be justified, and any form of vote trading is forbidden.

References
Since voters are not expected to know everyone going in, a Guide which briefly describes each character is being provided. This is broken down by characters and is linked via the name of the character in the set-up post for each round. Relevant video clips will also be linked to participants beginning with Round 3, and pictures will be linked on all character postings. Also, the summarized tournament bracket is linked here.

Tourney Pairings (Excel spreadsheet)

Cumulative Group A Guide

Round Links
Round 1
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 2
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 3
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 4
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 5 (Group Finals)
Groups A&B
Groups C&D

Round 6
Semifinals

Round 7
Finals

Last edited by Key on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 24 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A is now closed.

Time to start eliminating some dead weight. A couple of these match-ups could be particularly interesting.

Guide: Group A Guide

Group A-1
Yuuki Tokugawa, E’s Otherwise
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Winner: Hakuoro
Total: 32-6

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic

Winner: Kazuki
Total: 25-13

Group A-3
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Winner: Pacifica
Total: 24-14

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise
vs.
Mamoru Kusanagi, Blue Seed

Winner: Kenshin
Total: 37-1

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Tie
Total: 19-19

Group A-6
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster
vs.
Yusuke Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho

Winner: Dr. Tenma
Total: 31-7

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Winner: Clare
Total: 22-16

Group A-8
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Robin Sena, Witch Hunter Robin

Winner: Siegfried
Total: 23-15

Group A-9
Goku, Dragonball franchise
vs.
Nanoha Takamichi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise

Winner: Goku
Total: 29-9

Group A-10
Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Winner: Hibiki

Group A-11
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Winner: Hikaru
Total: 32-6

Group A-12
Karasu, Noein – to your other self
vs.
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise

Winner: Karasu

Group A-13
Renton Thurston, Eureka 7
vs.
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There

Winner: Shu
Total: 31-7

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Winner: Sakura
Total: 23-15

Group A-15
Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi
vs.
Gourry Gabriev, Slayers franchise

Winner: Gourry
Total: 21-17

Group A-16
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon
vs.
Allison Whittington, Allison and Lillia

Winner: Usagi
Total: 24-14

Last edited by Key on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

I finally gave in and watched Utawarerumono and just fell in love with this series. So my vote has got to go to Hakuroro for being the man that he was and the man that he became.

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

As much as I'm a fan of xxxholic I just can't bring myself to vote for Watanuki so my vote goes to Kazuki

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

While many people think that Pacifica is a spoiled brat who everyone esle has to take care of, I still think that she's a Hero because she does do what she needs to do, she makes friends of people who want to kill her and she succeeds.

Group A-4
vs.

I've got to go with Kenshin because here is a man who after doing so many things wrong, tried to fix what he had done and to become a better man.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Toboe gets my vote here because even though he was "hated" he did his best to protect the man who wanted to kill him the most.

Group A-6
vs.

Yusuke get my vote because it does take a lot of strength and courage to change yourself and become a better person the way he did.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Mai because all she wanted to do was go to school and make sure that her brother got better. But when she found out that she now had to protect not only her school but the world as well, she pulled up her socks and did it, no matter how much it cost her.

Group A-8
vs.

Robin because she too, discovered things about herself and her past and didn't allow it to break her. She continued and helped to protect those that she came to care about.

Group A-9
vs.

I still haven't watched the series yet but I'm going to vote for Nanoha.

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Hibiki because the kid just tried his darnedest do take care of his new friends and protect the universe.

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Hikaru is another girl who was flung into a stituation that she wasn't prepared for, but did the best that she could under the circumstances...even when it broke her heart to do what she had to do.

Group A-12
vs.

Lafiel because she had a goal in mind but eventually chose a different path because of her friendship with others.

Group A-13
vs.

Renton, just because.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

Sakura for the same reasons as Mai and Hikaru - she was unprepared but pulled up her socks and did what she had to do even if it hurt.

Group A-15
vs.

Gourry just because.

Group A-16
vs.

Usagi (like anyone had doubts that I wouldn't vote for her!) Again, Usagi is another girl who wasn't prepared for the role that she stumbled into, but, even though she whined and cried about it - often, she pulled up her socks and did what she had to do. Yes, she had the other Senshi to help, but in the end, it was her and only her, by herself, taking care of the bad guys. And she did it with her chin up and as hard as she could.
guet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Voting for: Hakuoro
Reason: Not knowing his past, Hakuoro manages to lead a rebellion, protect those he cares for, and doesn't hesitate to make personal sacrifices.

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

Voting for: Kasuki Muto

Reason: While by no means as strong a contender as Kenshin, I believe Kasuki has what it takes to get past this round.

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Voting for: Jil

Reason: Although Pacifica has impressive determination, and is probably the favorite to move on in this match, I think Jil showed quite a bit more growth, and his change from a worthless guardian to a skilled climber and leader gives him a slight edge here.

Group A-4
vs.

Voting for: Kenshin

Reason: Probably the strongest entry in all of group A. Kenshin fits the idea of a hero like few can. He inspires, protects, and makes a personal journey of redemption. The fact that he even feels the need to redeem his sins speaks volumes for his character, as the lives he took were in combat and never with malice as a reason.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Voting for: Saya

Reason: I didn't like Saya's character for much of Blood+ (Kai in my mind would have made a stronger entry). However, other than one major moment in the series Toboe really didn't seem all that heroic, at times he even comes off as cowardly and meek. I give Saya the slight edge in what is probably one of the weaker matchups this round.

Group A-6
vs.

Voting for: Dr. Tenma

Reason: Yusuke is a great character, but against Tenma, he is just outclassed. Despite all the chaos in his life Dr. Tenma never once stops helping others and doing what is right.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Voting for: Clare

Reason: A close matchup here, but Clare's actions in the holy city tipped the scales for me.

Group A-8
vs.

Voting for: Seigfried

Reason: I'm only about a dozen episodes into his series at the moment, but Robin never came off as all that heroic. It's been a while since I've seen her series, so if others comments are strong I may change this vote, as its one of the few this round I'm not sure of.

Group A-9
vs.

Voting for: Goku

Reason: For all it's faults, if there is one thing DBZ did right, it's setting up the shounen hero to save the day just in the nick of time. Many of the heros in this tournament owe quite a bit to Goku, he should go a few rounds at least.

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Voting for: Hibiki Tokai

Reason: He was able to work with a gender he knew nothing about, develop respect from others and save a bunch of lives. Good enough in my book, but again it's been a while, so this vote is open for change.

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Voting for: Van Flyheight

Reason: Neither one stood out much while I was filling in my bracket, slight edge to Van.

Group A-12
vs.

Voting for: Karasu

Reason: It takes a strong hero type to break away from what you know and make sacrifices in order to protect someone.

Group A-13
vs.

Voting for: Shu

Reason: let's face it, as great a character as Renton is, he has many more non-heroic moments than Shu.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

Voting for: Yuji Kaido

Reason: Standing up for what is right, depite being told differently, and never giving up protecting what matters.

Group A-15
vs.

Voting for: Gourry

Reason: He may be comic relief, but the guy is a simple swordsman that can save the world with the best of the magic users.

Group A-16
vs.

Voting for: Usagi

Reason: She's the female version of Goku.

Off topic: I forgot how long these first rounds take to fill out...

Last edited by guet on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Voting for: Yuuki Tokugawa
Reason: I'm big on charity
Possibility of change: Slim

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

Voting for: Kimihiro Watanuki
Reason: Guide
Possibility of change: Possible

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Voting for: Pacifica
Possibility of change: Unlikely

Group A-4
vs.

Voting for: Kenshin Himura
Reason: The reverse-blade sword
Possibility of change: None

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Voting for: Toboe
Reason: Guide; specifically, his kindness

Group A-6
vs.

Voting for: Kenzou Tenma
Reason: Where to begin? He gets tempted, tested, emotionally tortured, and still does not give in to the dark side. And then... spoiler[Doctors Without Borders.] Enough said.
Possibility of change: Zero

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Voting for: Clare
Reason: Not a My-HiMe fan

Group A-8
vs.

Voting for: Siegfried

Group A-9
vs.

Voting for: GOKU!!!!
Reason: There are over 9000... But, jokes aside, he is a truly epic, heroic character.

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Voting for: Keisei Tagami
Possibility of change: Unlikely

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Voting for: Hikaru Shidou

Group A-12
vs.

Voting for: Karasu

Group A-13
vs.

Voting for: Renton Thurston

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

Voting for: Yuji Kaido
Reason: There is no possible light in which I will see a ten-year-old girl as heroic. There just isn't.
Possibility of change: None.

Group A-15
vs.

Voting for: Minamoto
Reason: Guide. Will check out the anime.
Possibility of change: Slim.

Group A-16
vs.

Voting for: Allison Whittington
Reason: Anything but Sailor Moon
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with a lot of these characters, so I'm going off of guide entries and also the discussions of them during the nomination process for some match ups.

Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

My Vote: Hakuoro
From my understanding, Hakuoro has quite a few impressive and herioc deeds to his name. I was fairly impressed with what I read about him, and he sounds like an all around good person.

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

My Vote: Kazuki Muto
Kazuki sounds somewhat interesting. He's a shounen hero, with many of the typicial good traits those guys tend to have, but perhaps a bit more humble than many of them.

Watanuki sounds like a nice guy, but I recall a lot of arguments specifically made against him as a true hero. I think Kazuki probably fits the hero mold a bit more.

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

My Vote: Pacifica Casull
When Pacifica was first nominated, I was somewhat surprised, as she wasn't a character that came to my mind when thinking about this tournament. But in the debate over her in the nomination process, I realized I had forgotten a fair amount about Scrapped Princess.

Thrust into a situation like that of Pacifica, I think most people would have done far worse, especially considering that she is essentially a normal 16 year old girl in a world full of incredibly skilled swordsmen and superpowered mages. The courage Pacifica shows at several points in the series, such as when she is willing to give up her arm with no hesitation, is definitely commendable. I think she deserves to go on this round.

Yah, Jil's not a bad candidate either, but I have to vote against him.

Group A-4
vs.

My Vote: Kenshin Himura
This one is a fairly easy choice, even though I haven't seen either series. Kenshin seems a very good choice: risks his life to protect others, fights alongside former rivals, fights without killing his foes and sticks to his morals and vow... A very good candidate from everything I have heard about him.

Sorry Kusanagi, but I don't think you can compete against him.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

My Vote: Toboe
I don't know why, but Saya never really struck me as that "herioc" during the show. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I'm having to wrack my brain to remember exactly why. Maybe it's partially because she struggled so much to deal with the situations and her own internal issues. This is perfectly understandable given what she was thrust into, but many other anime characters go through similar things and manage to overcome them much better. Perhaps that's unrealistic, but even so, I find it hard to vote for Sata against Toboe.

Toboe may not be perfect. but he's living in a world that's gone completely to hell, can't fully coexist with humans without issues, is looked down on by his fellow wolves, is weak by their standards... and doesn't give up, encourages his fellows, and shows surprising feats of bravery.

Group A-6
vs.

My Vote: Dr. Kenzou Tenma
Tenma is one of the most compassionate anime characters I've ever seen. Over the course of Monster, he encounters quite a few people, and the effect he has on a lot of them is remarkable. There's a very good reason why everyone at the hospital where he works grows to love him. Sure, he's a doctor, and its their job to save lives, but for Tenma it is way more than just a job.

Even when forced to go on the run, he continues to help people at every opportunity, going out of his way to do so at times. From the way he interacts with people, you can tell that this is a man who truly has a pure and good heart. And he is a man who acts on his beliefs, a man who doesn't just let a good heart rot with inaction, but puts his morals into practice all the time.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

My Vote: Clare
Of course, this is a vote for Clare. Mai... Mai sounds like a decent candidate, but in my mind, Clare is highly underated and deserves to move on several rounds at least. The guide entry describes some of the reasons why. Clare is a woman who has every reason to be bitter and uncaring. Everyone she knew or cared about as a child is gone, she's a half-monster who risks becoming a monster every day, most normal humans fear and/or hate her...

Yet it becomes clear that her initial coldness towards some people is not because she doesn't care. At a time when she barely knows Raki, she saves his life after finding him alone and near death, and her true character shines through: a Yoma who watches the scene is incredibly surprised by the look of care on her face, something he would have never expected to see on a claymore.

Clare often risks her life for others, going beyond what is needed or required. It doesn't matter if they hate her, it doesn't matter if they had tried to kill her earlier, she will still take heavy wounds to protect them from Yoma. This, despite the fact that the very reason she became a claymore was to avenge a certain person... when it comes down to it, Clare will throw away her life (and any chance at revenge) in an instant, all to protect others.

Group A-8
vs.

My Vote: Robin Sena
Not an easy choice due to my lack of familiarity, but from what I read, Robin seems the better candidate, while it's questionable if Siegfried even belongs in this tournament.

Group A-9
vs.

My vote: Goku
How can I not vote for him? The archetype for many a shounen hero, with all the quirks and flaws and good traits that became cliches later on, Goku is definitely deserving to be here.
And as a rather amusing line from the guide points out how Goku sacraficed his life to help others... more than once.

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

My vote: Hibiki Tokai
I'm familiar with Kensei. I'm not familiar with Hibiki. But even so, the arguements for him in the nomination round were more than enough to convince me he deserves to go on. Kensei's a good guy and a worthy candidate, but I just don't think he can compete.

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

My vote: Hikaru Shidou
Based on what I've read, she definitely deserves to be here. A regular girl who gets sucked into another world and forced to deal with some horrible things, she performs quite admirably I believe. And from what I've read about some of the things she goes through... definitely deserves to go on.

Group A-12
vs.

My vote: Karasu
This is almost more a vote against Lafiel than a vote for Karasu. Sorry, but during the nomination process, I found the arguments against her more convincing than those for her, and nothing since than has changed that. Karasu may not be a perfect choice either, but he does manage quite a few herioc feats and proves to be a much nicer guy than he initially seems, so he gets my vote.

Group A-13
vs.

My vote: Shu Maritani
I like Renton. I do. But he is completely and utterly outclassed here. Bot Shu and Renton are superficially similiar, as both are young boys who find themselves in very unpleasant situations at times. But look at how they react to what they go through.

Renton chooses to go on the Gekko State and get involved, and he struggles a lot to figure out a way to deal with the things he is faced with. It's understandable, but it holds him back a lot for the earlier parts of the series. He has many examples of unherioc moments.

Shu is forcably brought into a completely alien world. He had no choice, no way to opt out. He faces utter hell, things that would probably make most adults break down completely. And he endures. He doesn't give up, doesn't compromise, and continues to fight for what he believes in, in both actions and words.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

My vote: Sakura Kinomoto
Based on what I've read, I have to give this vote to Sakura. A young girl faced with a very daunting task.

Group A-15
vs.

My Vote: Minamoto no Hikaru
This one is close, but I was pretty impressed with some of the arguments for Minamoto in the nomination round, so he gets the vote.

Group A-16
vs.

My vote: Usagi Tsukino
Can I really vote against Sailer Moon? Smile Ok, I could, I mean, I've never even seen the show, but I'm fairly certain she deserves to go on to the next round, based on what I've read.

EDIT: Key didn't post it in the rules, but if I recall correctly from last tournament, if you want to change your vote, you need to make a post stating that he did so and what you changed it to. Don't just edit your post, or it can be overlooked.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Hakuoro he was able to protect help the people from the village.

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

Kimihiro Watanuki this guy go so far to help others.

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Pacifica Casull I admire that she was not annoyed at the whole word.

Group A-4
vs.

Kenshin Himura I have never seen a lot of episodes of Ruroni Kenshin TV but I remember he was always trying to protect and help the weak

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Saya guide

Group A-6
vs.

Dr. Kenzou Tenma Johan plays with him but he manges to have clean hands.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Mai Tokiha What a difficult choice! I'm neither a fan of My-HiME which I want to forget, nor a fan of Claymore, Clare was as interesting as a pylon.

Group A-8
vs.

Kircheis
He was always protecting Rainhard, especially when they were younger but he does more then that Kircheis make sure that Rainhard does not go too far. Moreover, he tries to help the weaker whenever he can.

Group A-9
vs.

Goku guide

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Hibiki Tokai guide

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Hikaru Shidou
She fights for what she believes and eventually spoiler[she changes Cephiro]

Group A-12
vs.

Lafiel
She is a weak contestant but her opponent is not stronger.

Group A-13
vs.

Shu Maritani
This boy goes through hell but doesn't stop help others

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

Yuji Kaido
It seems he is a better choice

Group A-15
vs.

Minamoto no Hikaru Gourry is a comic relief

Group A-16
vs.
Allison Whittington, Allison and Lillia[/quote]

Allison Whittington I would vote for anyone but Usagi

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
I must admit to not being entirely comfortable with voting for characters about whom I have no first hand or very detailed third hand knowledge, but since it is required...

Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Vote: Yuuki Tokugawa, E's Otherwise
Reason: Yuuki sounds like a reasonably heroic person. Hakuoro from the guide sounds like a borderline anti-hero whose good deeds outweigh bad ones by a contested margin. Is it just the write-up?

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

Vote: Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
Reason: Although Kazuki and Buso Renkin can be considered, to some extent, hyperbolic parodies of shounen heroes, I believe it to be an affectionate parody that does not necessarily detract from the mold. The result is that Kazuki is quite heroic, if somewhat amusing in his heroics.

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Vote: Jil, The Tower of Druaga
Reason: I do not consider Pacifica a hero. Her ability to make friends among her enemies is thoroughly undermined by the fact that the enemies in question spoiler[were the result of an ancient program to produce guardians for her.] Despite being in a parody, I believe the classic fantasy hero is more deserving.

Group A-4
vs.

Vote: Kenshin Himura, Rouroni Kenshin

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Vote: Toboe, Wolf's Rain

Group A-6
vs.

Vote: Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster
Reason: A difficult choice, since both sound like anti-heroes. It happens that I am more familiar with Yusuke's thuggish behavior that he never lost, despite volunteering to save the world.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Vote: Mai Tokiha, My-Hime
Reason: First, I will address why I admire Mai so much. I must thank the Giant and his loyal fans for reminding me in time to make this edit. I hope that it is not too late.

It is often mentioned that Mai does not waiver in the face of adversity. She struggles and copes with her trials while maintaining a hopeful and cheerful outlook, making the best of life has to offer in her circumstance. It may come across as odd, then, that I find the above not the best testament to her nobility of character. Her fortitude in the face of difficulty, while admirable, is a lesser aspect compared to her fortitude in the face of temptation.

The first temptation to which she is presented is spoiler[power, the ancient agent of corruption of which the likes of money and position are merely facets.] She was presented with this temptation spoiler[when she embraced the power of the Hime, as Nagi told her that the power of the Hime can be used in whatever way she liked.] Nor is the above merely a bluff, as spoiler[a fellow Hime, Nao, falls into abuse of the power for her own profit with no more punishment than possibly being confronted by other Hime.] Mai, despite having great power, does not abuse it, calling upon it only when it became necessary to protect Fuka. Her last temptation is not at all a formulaic routine but a natural consequence of a character meticulously and consistently established over the course of the series.

With great power comes great responsibility, but what happens if the responsibility has been removed? What if a person is shown that she is not responsible for her actions, however horrifying they may be? Such is spoiler[the point of the Hime Festival.] They are drilled with the doctrine spoiler["You must fight each other; it is your destiny."] With machinations, Nagi spoiler[spurs many Hime to strike first.] With his success, spoiler["she started it"] and "I did what had to be done" become tempting excuses. There was an attempt to systematically remove the responsibility for their actions--in consequence as well as morally--from the shoulders of the Hime, spoiler[yet Mai does not give into brutality.]

Mai is a noble and admirable character; well painted over the course of a character-centric series; willing and able to help her friends in need.

Next, I'll consider how Mai and Clare compare. Mai is a kind girl who cares for her friends, classmates, and family. Only under the greatest pressure does her maternal and protective behavior crack, and even then she quickly regains her reason. She is not afraid to show her platonic love, and it manifests both in little things from daily life and in her willingness to fight against seemingly insurmountable odds when great danger threatens the academy. Contrast this with Clare, whose camaraderie with her fellow claymores is of a cold peership, manifests in belligerence among her fellows, and flares up in rage against enemies. There is little question but that Mai has the better personality of the two.

Now let us compare their motivations. Although Clare slays demons, it is at the command of an extortionist organization. She merely uses her job as a means of improving her powers and seeking revenge. The hidden and burning hatred that serves as her personal motivation taints almost all of her deeds that may be considered heroic. Contrast this with Mai, who fought to protect her brother, friends, and classmates. Both faced enemies who are threatening to them, but how could a woman who kills as a means to seek revenge compare with a protector?

Last, let us compare their deeds. The youma that Clare slays is comparable to the Childs [sic] that Mai fights, ranging from fodder to threatening. Both have faced great enemies and stood their ground, spoiler[and came through great trials.] In terms of raw power, I don't think the foes they faced are direct comparable--Claymore's fighters use mainly cold weapons and carapace, while My-Hime's fighters use long range energy weapons as well as melee. I do not see a clear advantage to either. This leaves the decision to the former two factors, and they point to Mai being the better hero.

Group A-8
vs.

Vote: Robin Sena, Witch Hunter Robin

Group A-9
vs.

Vote: Nanoha, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Reason: Much of Goku's heroic accomplishments are undermined by the late DBZ suggestion that he is merely channeling his Saiyan battlelust to defense, and his native urge does get in the way of his efforts. Much of DB is undermined by his blissful ignorance of morality. Iconic though he might be, I cannot vote for such a character over a character who is clearly motivated to defend the weak and rescue the innocent.

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Vote: Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Vote: Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth

Group A-12
vs.

Vote: Karasu, Noein

Group A-13
vs.

Vote: Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There
Reason: Interestingly, I find these two characters to be quite similar, at least from Shu's description, which gives him a slight edge over Renton. Specifically, Renton appears to be the less mature of the two in attitude.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

Vote: Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
Reason: A case of adversity making the hero, I think.

Group A-15
vs.

Vote: Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi

Group A-16
vs.

Vote: Allison Whittington, Allison & Lillia

Anybody want to take a wild guess as to which match interested me the most?

Karasu, Noein's description seems to contain a major spoiler in the parenthetical expression, and the Encyclopedia entry makes it seem that the fact is not taken for granted as a premise of the series.

Last edited by BES Null Core on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Reason: As has been mentioned not knowing his past and who he is he pushes forward and does all he can to protect those he cares for and seek justice for others.

Group A-2
Voting for: Kazuki Muto
Reason: While not a big hero in my book Kazuki does show more heroic qualities then Watanuki IMO. Neither are that strong in terms of heroism IMO but Kazuki has enough to beat out Watanuki.

Group A-3
Voting For: Pacifica Casull
Reason: Despite virtually EVERYONE almost wanting to kill her she stills act kind to people. many those who would prob turn on her given the chance. She faces her fate head on and I think so easily go into the next round.

Group A-4
Voting For: Kenshin Himura franchise
Reason: The man is almost the epitome of a hero. Sure he didn't start out as one. But he spends the majority of his life helping those he can to make up for his past deeds. He vows to never kill again, despite the horrors those he faces would do to him and his loved ones. He would sacrifice all he is and has for those he cares about as well. He also is very humble about his acts of heroism and has virtually no ego at all.

Group A-5
Voting For: Toboe
Reason: Don't think either is very heroic per se. They both do heroic things but I think often due to the circumstances surrounding them and not from a true desire too. But between the two I think Toboe has more heroic qualities about him then Saya.

Group A-6
Voting For: Dr. Kenzou Tenma
Reason: Yusuke does display some very heroic feats. However is almost all of them IMO he only does so because he has to. Because due to circumstances, like people being kidnapped, he has to act heroically. He doesn't chose to simply because it's in his nature. he may be a good guy and have heroic moments but he does not show any real true heroism in my book. Dr Tenma shows at least enough to win this round hands down in my book.

Group A-7
Voting For: Mai Tokiha
Reason: While Clare may through the course of the show come to show heroic moments I don't think she can compare to Mai in terms of heroism. From the very start Mai tries to help anyone and everyone. She tries to not fight at all and help everyone even those trying to hurt her or worse. Even at the end spoiler[after her brother has died she embraces Mikoto and tells her she loves her and cares for her. Mikoto who inadvertently was the one who cause Takumi's death. ]That to me is true heroism. Clare just doesn't stack up.

Group A-8
Voting For: Siegfried Kircheis
Reason: Robin is no hero at all. She only fights other witches as it's her job. Even at the end she only fights against the orginization because she has to for survival. She really never shows any true signs of heroism in the show. Not compared to some of the other characters. Siegfried however shows many real signs of heroism in comparison. Plus it doesn't hurt that Heroes is in the actual title of the show he hails from lol. Just saying heh. Wink

Group A-9
Voting For: Goku
Reason: Can you really find a better example of a hero? Seriously. Hate the show or think it's stupid no one can deny this man is a heroes hero. From the age of a small boy he is constantly fighting evil he doesn't have to. He goes from one battle to the next fighting people to protect his loved ones, and the entire planet constantly. He shows all his enemies mercy at one point or another and shows more forgiveness then any real human ever would. He's almost always smiling and just that dang happy and peppy. All other Shonen Jump heroes since I think have simply paled in comparison in terms of true heroism. spoiler[He dies (multiple times) in the process of being a hero as well. yet despite dying and being revived time after time he keeps on doing it.] Hate the show all ya want but you cannot deny Goku is almost the living embodiment of what makes a person a hero.

Group A-10
Keisei Tagami
Reason: I'm not very thrilled about either moving on honestly. But the reasons put forth in the nomination process to me are stronger for Keisei so that's where my vote is going.

Group A-11
Voting For: Hikaru Shidou
Reason: I think Hikaru showed real heroism despite the situation she found herself in. She could have decided not to fight or do anything but chose to help her class mates (who became friends) and through the course of the show showed real heroism in times when she didn't need to. She was always the kindest and most upbeat of them all pushing them to help people. Maybe not the strongest in the tournament but strong enough to win this round.

Group A-12
Voting For: Lafiel
Reason: Despite it being her job as a soldier there are several instances she shows real heroism beyond the duties she's charged with. Simply doing your job also does not exclude someone from being a hero I think. I mean would you say a firefighter is not heroic and just doing their job? Not toting Lafiel into that sort of RL example, just making a point. She also often shows more heroism when it comes to Jinto. spoiler[Especially later one in season 2 of Banner of the Stars when he's captured. She like others may not be the most heroic but enough so to win this first round IMO.]

Group A-13
Voting For: Renton Thurston
Reason: Much like some of the other strong contenders Renton just exudes heroism. He may not do many of the heroic deeds of others but heroism is not just about deeds. It's about personality, mind set, and the reasoning behind the person's actions. In those areas Renton has heroism in spades I think. He constantly does what he can to help Eureka and the Gecko despite the fact he never asked to be put into this kind of war like situation. For a boy his age he is constantly pushed into situations he should not have to endure. Yet through them all he never loses his desire to help people and stop the fighting if possible. He does all that he can simply to be there for those he cares about. Renton is the hero Holland wishes he could be.

Group A-14
Voting For: Yuji Kaido
Reason: Yuji is much like Renton though a few years older. He's thrust into a war he never asked for nor wanted. In Yuji's case he wakes up after being asleep to supposedly fix a disease. Yet he awaken to hell basically. Monsters that have killed most of the Earth's population. He's forced to fight for his life and those of the friends he makes from the very start. And despite all people, like Marlene tell him, he constantly fights for others. spoiler[Like in the beginning when he is determined to help those group of survivors down on Earth despite the protests of Marlene.]

Group A-15
Voting for: Minamoto
Reason: Another situation where I think both candidates are on par with each other (and I have no real vested interest in the winner) but one character shows just enough more heroic qualities to win. So Minamoto gets the vote.

Group A-16
Voting for: Usagi Tsukino
Reason: If Goku is a prime example of male heroism Usagi (I still call her Serena dammit lol) is a prime example of female heroism. She constantly, despite being whiny and annoying often, puts herself out there to protect her friends and loved ones. She fights evil because it's the right thing to do in her mind. Not just because she has to. Would be nice is meatball head shut up more often, but it doesn't detract from her heroic qualities heh.
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Reason: Truly justice minded -- this man only cares about justice being served, and he doesn't seem the least bit concerned about what happens to himself.

Group A-2
Voting for: Kazuki Muto
Reason: Kazuki has all of the aspects of a hero, but exaggerated to a degree that seems absurd at times. The end result is humorous and very heroic. The exaggerated nature of his character may do him in, and it's a shame he has a tough next round opponent.

Group A-3
Voting For: Pacifica Casull
Reason: She acts kind even though everyone around her seems to have it out for her. She isn't the most heroic when it really counts, but I think she is strong enough to win the first round.

Group A-4
Voting For: Kenshin Himura franchise
Reason: Kenhsin is the cream of the crop when it comes to heroes. While it's true that Kenhsin may not have started out as a hero, his end result speaks for itself. He has dedicated his entire life in order to atone for his past deeds. He swears to never kill again, despite the many dangers he faces. He is willing to sacrifice himself in order for the sake of good, and he has one of the most heroic personalities that I have ever encountered -- without a trace of an arrogant ego.

Group A-5
Voting For: Saya
Reason: Guide. I doubt either will go far. And the comments haven't really persuaded me much either.

Group A-6
Voting For: Dr. Kenzou Tenma
Reason: Altruistic, incorruptible, selfless -- Tenma has many things going for him. Tenma is by far one of the most caring characters that I know; it's shame that he has such a unfairly placed burden levied upon him. While it's true that Tenma cheated on his tests and did the other bad things described in the guide, these things do not define his character and are for the most part irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. In fact, his friends are shocked when they discover this; they thought he had a perfect moral character.

Group A-7
Voting For: Clare
Reason: Very tough choice. I give Clare the edge even though it takes her time to truly show off her heroic nature.

Group A-8
Voting For: Siegfried Kircheis
Reason: Robin isn't that heroic. Most of her actions are prompted by survival instincts and not by heroism.

Group A-9
Voting For: Goku
Reason: Goku may be simple minded and reckless, but he has enough heroism in him to get pass this round.

Group A-10
Voting for:Hibiki
Reason: Both are extremely weak; I do not think either one deserves to move on. The guide gives Hibiki a slight edge.

Group A-11
Voting For: Hikaru Shidou
Reason: Not only is she always optimistic and upbeat, she has actions that back up her heroic personality.

Group A-12
Voting For: Karasu
Reason: Lafiel has too much just doing her job aspect in her for me to vote for her. I don't know much about Karasu, but what from I heard he has at the very least a slight edge.

Group A-13
Voting For: Shu
Reason: Renton exudes heroism, but he also exudes too much non-heroism as well. And it's not like Shu needs a easy opponent to win either. Shu proves himself so many more times in the hero department with far less drawbacks when compared to Renton.

Group A-14
Voting For: Sakura
Reason: While nothing compared to Sailor Moon, I believe that she has enough heart in her character in order to at least get past this round despite the shortcomings that come from her expected immaturity.

Group A-15
Voting for: Gourry
Reason: Though he is comic relief, I still give him a slight edge. Neither choice is very strong.

Group A-16
Voting for: Usagi Tsukino
Reason: I can't vote against Sailor Moon yet. She may be whiny at times, but her heart is in the right place.

Last edited by Olliff on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Yuuki Tokugawa, E’s Otherwise

Reasons: Guide

Group A-2
Voting for: Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic

Reasons: I nominated him.

Btw, if we're going with this word order, you may want to shift where he is in the guide, because right now he's listed by Watanuki, not Kimihiro.

Group A-3
Voting for: Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess

Group A-4
Voting for: Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise

Reasons: I've heard enough about this guy to know he's a very strong contender.

Group A-5
Voting for: Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Reasons: I'm not sure I expect him to win, but I not only like him a lot more than Saya but think he is very heroic too, in his own way.

Group A-6
Voting for: Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster

Reasons: Another one I've heard enough about to vote for without knowing.

Group A-7
Voting for: Clare, Claymore

Group A-8
Voting for: Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Reasons: Because I don't like Robin and don't find her very heroic.

Group A-9
Voting: Goku, Dragonball franchise

Group A-10
Voting for: Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Group A-11
Voting for: Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth

Reasons: Guide (plus I know this one, at least the manga)

Group A-12
Voting for: Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise

Another case where it was a little confusing to figure out where she was in the guide, since she's under Lafiel there (with the longer name in parentheses).

Group A-13
Voting for: Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There

Group A-14
Voting for: Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Reasons: Because she's adorable. In the first round, this is a valid reason.

Group A-15
Voting for: Gourry Gabriev, Slayers franchise

Group A-16
Voting for: Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon

Reasons: Because she's Sailor Moon.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

I think Hakuoro is a strong contender, at least for the first few rounds. His quietly competent concern for his people (his in more than one sense) creates an aura of solemn heroism about him.

Group A-2

Somehow, Buso Renkin has never captivated me, and a large part of that is the rather two-dimensional nature of the characters, in my opinion. I find it hard to support any BR character as a hero, since they just lack verisimilitude. On the other hand, my (admittedly limited) knowledge of xxxHolic gives me good resason to vote for Watanuki. So that's the way I'll roll.

Group A-3

I'll go with a classic anime heroine, here.

Group A-4

I expect Kenshin to go far, and I have no qualms about voting for him at this stage.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +

Hmm... this is even money, for me. Based on superficial preference only, and a narrow difference at that, I'll go with Saya.

Group A-6

A very, very tough call. Intelligent and credible heroic character vs. classic shounen hero? Arrghh. Tough, tough call. I think, all things considered, I'll support Dr. Tenma. But it's tough.

Group A-7
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

I'll probably catch heat for saying this, but I sincerely dislike Claymore. The story, the characters, and the art. But that's not why I vote for Mai over Clare. I vote this way because Mai has a certain something about her, a willingness to fight to the bitter end, even when she loses nearly everything that she holds dear along the way.

Group A-8

No opinion. My trusty Penny Britannica says: Heads, Siegfried.

Group A-9

I'll go with the monkey-boy. Let him laugh while he can.

Yes, a large part of my reasons for that vote was to have an excuse to make a Buckaroo Banzai joke... so sue me.

Group A-10

Decisions, decisions... no, I can't decide. Penny says: Keisei.

Group A-11

Hikaru is far from the show-stealer in MKR (spoilers avoided, just barely), but she doe present a convincing image of heroism, given her background. I'll give her a weak vote of approval.

Group A-12

Honestly, Lafiel is almost a no-starter in this contest. But I simply can't see Karasu as a hero. There are way too many complications in the situation to call him a clear hero. So, by default, Lafiel gets my vote.

Group A-13

Absolutely no contest: Shu is a hero among heroes.

Group A-14

Almost even money, but I have a slight preference for Sakura.

Group A-15

Again, I really have no preference. I'll go with Minamoto.

Group A-16

Hard choice, but I do love Allison, even though she is sometimes more offbeat than heroic.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, last semester I didn't have an 8am followed directly by a 3 hour lab so I'd usually vote around midnight or whenever the list went up.

A-1: Hakuoro
guide

A-2: Watanuki Kimihiro
coin toss

A-3: Pacifica Casull
guide

A-4: Mamoru Kusanagi
one for the underdog

A-5: Toboe
i forget why...

A-6: Dr. Kenzou Tenma
Eh, I always felt that Yusuke was more a main character while Kuwabara got the sense of actual justice. And Dr. Tenma is a doctor, he stops all the time to do "makeshift" operations

A-7: Clare
I think I saw the first two episodes or so of Claymore ages ago, but I'll go for Clare

A-8: Robin Sena
I've been meaning to watch Witch Hunter Robin, but it's mostly because I felt that Kircheis simply had a heroic crowning moment of awesome rather than being heroic 24/7.

A-9: Goku
Sorry, going for Goku. I don't think he's any less heroic even though hell has a revolving door that is open to just about any Z-Warrior. He kept going even after using his free pass (due to deus ex machina other ways to make the door continue to revolve for him, like giving him consistent 1ups or something), but hey, gotta admit he used those 1ups well!

A-10: Keisei Tagami
Gotta go for a guy who is involved with orphens!

A-11 Van Flyheight
because i've seen Zoids.

A-12: Karasu
Lafiel had a lot of people against her in the prelims. I've only seen Crest of the Stars, but maybe she improves in Banner, I don't know. I'll go safe here with Karasu.

A-13: Shu Maritani
guide, his entry reminded me of Astro, but I will always be more impressed with Astro as Astro is a second class citizen (apologies if I said something wrong, haven't seen N&T,H&T)

A-14: Yuji Kaido
I always thought Sakura was a little too bubble and just kinda doing what Kero (and others) told her to do. I thought she rather lacked leadership per se.

A-15: Gourry Gabriev
guide

A-16: Allison Whittington
guide
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Hakuoro

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Kazuki Cool

Group A-3

Pacifica

Group A-4

Kenshin

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +

Saya :3

Group A-6

Tenma Idea

Group A-7
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Mai

Group A-8

Kircheis

Group A-9

Goku vs. Nanoha this early? Such a difficult decision... Sad

Goku

Group A-10
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Hibiki

Group A-11

Hikaru

Group A-12

Karasu

Group A-13

(Shu)^∞

Group A-14

Sakura Embarassed

Group A-15

Gourry

Group A-16

In the name of the moon, Usagi!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I've got a lot of time on my hands, so I guess I'll give detailed reasons for a lot of these.

Group A-1
vs.
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Vote: Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
Reason: Sorry if the write-up wasn't clear, but Hakuoro is not an anti-hero. He's almost too virtuous. His savagery in battle is attributed to, let's say, an "extra presence" camping out in his body. But he battles against the bad guys, has an incredible honor code, is very charismatic, takes a great bulk of responsibility on his shoulders and overall would deserve to win the whole tourney hands-down IF he had much of a personality or depth. Since he doesn't, (no one in the series does), he just deserves to fly a few rounds, and he should certainly take the first.

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
vs.

Vote: Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic
Reason: Watanuki doesn't really deserve to be in this tournament. But he deserves to be here FAR more than Kazuki. I don't even know why Kazuki is here. Kazuki is the stereotypical shonen hero from a fairly poor show, and the only reason he's here is because in addition to his temper and protagonistic fervor...he's also kind of funny and strange, which makes him likable. But that doesn't make him heroic, and although Watanuki is a whiny little goof-face, he has more of a heart for others and selfless giving nature than Kazuki, and I attribute that to heroism more than swinging alchemical weapons.

Still an incredibly weak matchup, maybe the worst. If you've seen Aquarion, Kazuki is pretty much a deviant of Apollo.

Group A-3
vs.
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Vote: Jil, The Tower of Druaga
Reason: I was always very "meh" on Pacifica, but after reading up on Jil and searching for clips, etc., I'm not only interested in seeing the show, but really wish he could go far here too! Definitely deserves to take this round for a good heart and sheer chutzpah, qualities that Pacifica possesses, but not to the extent that Jil does as a warrior (of sorts.)

Group A-4
vs.

Vote: Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin
Reason: This is absolutely no contest, and it's also the reason Jil, despite being a great dark horse, will not get past the next round. If you haven't enjoyed Kenshin yet, you need to. It's a quintessential anime, and Kenshin is THE quintessential hero.

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Vote: Saya, Blood +
Reason: Another weak group, another splitting of hairs to figure out who's best. I have a lot of favoritism toward Toboe, but the arguments against him are valid: he's not a very proactive character, and he can be meek and wishy-washy. His ever-flowing fountain of forgiveness and kindness is very admirable, but maybe doesn't fit the "hero" mold as well as Saya's struggles against foes she has a dastardly personal connection to, so for that reason, I have to give the slight nod to an arguable anti-hero.

Group A-6
vs.

Vote: Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster
Reason: No contest. Yusuke is the protagonist, but he's not hero material, he's borderline repugnant sometimes. He is good at heart for a street punk, but he becomes more and more wicked as the series goes on spoiler[until we find out he's a demon,] and then his behavior takes a turn for the really uncomfortable. Kuwabara is the real hero of the story, the "moral compass" figure, and that's precisely the reason he decides to stay out of the dark, twisted, and morally bankrupt last tournament arc. (That, and he isn't a demon, so he doesn't have much stock in the political struggle.)

Tenma, by contrast, should go very far in this tournament. He's incorruptible, but he's not a wuss either. I love that the series constantly portrays him as a caretaker, genuinely caring about the people he meets no matter their background, like where he bought disturbed Mr. Junkers the swedish clock to make him feel better. Then that image gets juxtaposed with the harsher realities: he's a fugitive on the run for a crime he didn't commit and he has to be uncouth sometimes, but that just proves he can be strong as well as sensitive, without taking lives as Johan ushers him to. Harrison Ford in The Fugitive comes to mind, but give him the heart of Mother Teresa or something.

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Vote: Mai Tokiha, My-Hime
Reason: Clare is a brave and strong individual. But she's also vengeful, hateful, entwined in a coalition of fiscally driven killers...yeah. She's inspiring compared to her fellow claymores, but that makes her an anti-hero at best. Appearances may be bad things to judge on, but I have to say it...just LOOK at her! She was clearly designed to be dark-chique menace-badass. If she's a hero, so is Faye Valentine, and they both belong in a badass tourney, not a hero tourney.

I'm not really familiar with Mai, but from what I've heard, she has many admirable qualities and is something of a protective figure, so she already wins hands-down against a cool and confident killer who just isn't a TOTAL douche.

Group A-8
vs.

Vote: Robin Sena, Witch Hunter Robin
Reason: Siegfried is a minor character with the personality/development of a cutting board and this is a weak grouping. Robin it is, although her heroism does not show until VERY late in the series when she has garnered the knowledge and ability to stand on her own and make her own decisions. At least she's not a cardboard hero/plot device character.

Group A-9
vs.

Vote: Goku, DBZ
Reason: This is mostly a vote of familiarity, but unlike his somewhat angsty shonen-hero son, Goku is a cheery and benevolent individual with a lot of admirable qualities besides being a "fighter for justice." To put it one way, I would never invite Naruto, Ichigo, Yusuke, Edward or Gohan over to my house for dinner, but I would have Goku over in a heartbeat, provided there was enough beef in the house for one Goku-sized appetizer. (Do we have five head of cattle in the freezer?) This greatly separates him from the typical shonen ilk while not taking away from how many baddies he can take down on gumption alone. (He doesn't have a tail, but he can blink and take down Napa? Um, what?) Definitely a quintessential hero, and he's actually likable/admirable and not snarky, which is a rarity in shonen.

Group A-10
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Vote: Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime
Reason: Hibiki is brave, but he's also the butt of a lot of jokes. While it may take a lot of bravery to be the only man in a world full of ladies and survive intact, it appears Keisei has the more impressive resume, and more character depth to boot.

Group A-11
vs.
Van Flyheight, Zoids

Vote: Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
Reason: Van Flyheight is a slightly less loud but entirely stereotypical shonen hero and I didn't see much in him even watching the show as a little goober, so going by the guide I give this Bud to Hikaru by default.

Group A-12
vs.

Vote: Karasu, Noein
Reason: I didn't get far enough into the show to see much in him...or much of him...but this is very much a vote against Lafiel who is a strong woman and kind of interesting, but not particularly heroic, philanthropic, or a moral rock in a sandstorm, anything of that nature. Interesting protagonist, but far removed from protecting the innocent, fighting for justice independently, etc.

Group A-13
vs.

Vote: Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There
Reason: Renton is a whiny baby with a few shining moments like trying to save the black girl in the wheelchair. The fact that Eureka 7 is a tribute to Neon Genesis Evangelion and Renton's character is strongly based on Shinji should speak volumes. He spends the large majority of the show (until maybe episodes in the 40s) mentally musing on why his life sucks and why no one understands him. He is incredibly immature, and good heart or not, has so many overwhelming moments of letting things go all to heck because of his emotional problems that I couldn't vote for him even if his competition wasn't...

...Shu, who deserves to go very far in this tournament. He has an uncompromised respect for human life, gives all his guts to protect the innocent, and the only thing he doesn't possess that many of these other heroes do is any powers whatsoever. All he has is an iron will, and he's fighting against a world dictatorship. He doesn't even have any allies, and the ones he does come across are quick to betray and divide. But Shu stands strong, and I could probably write paragraphs on it and will in later rounds.

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
vs.

Vote: Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
Reason: Sakura is cute, and one of the few little girls in anime I would love to babysit, but a hero? She has magical girl powers and she's a good chick. That's it. Yuji has real battles to fight, and soldier or not, he's surprisingly gentlemanlike when given the opportunity.

Group A-15
vs.

Vote: Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi
Reason: I want to vote for Gourry because he's one of my favorite characters, but he's quite outclassed by Hikaru. Gourry has a lot of "James" moments to Lina's "Jessie," while Hikaru's in a pretty dire struggle to save the nation in the place of her far more capable brother, with limited assistance along the way. (I think limited. I haven't seen very much of it, but Hikaru appears to have the short end of the stick a lot of the time.)

Group A-16
vs.

Vote: Allison Whittington, Allison & Lillia
Reason: Sailor Moon is sweet and all, but she does have a lot of "I'm just a teenage girl, la la la" moments. Shonen...heroine? She's a stereotype, so even though she's a "heroine," does she have a lot of real redeeming qualities, or is she another "fighter for justice" with a paper-thin personality and no Goku clause? Allison's picture alone made me smile, and after reading up on her, she's clearly a more developed and realistic hero than little Ms. Body Pillow, I'm afraid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 77