• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
For as much as people talk about who's in last place, maybe I need to institute a booby prize. And by booby prize, I mean I have the first disc of Samurai Gun.

Oh, I'm sure I can come up with something much worse than that to send out as a booby prize. Maybe my (watched exactly once, and with good reason) copy of the OVA Pure Love?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
For as much as people talk about who's in last place, maybe I need to institute a booby prize. And by booby prize, I mean I have the first disc of Samurai Gun.

Oh, I'm sure I can come up with something much worse than that to send out as a booby prize. Maybe my (watched exactly once, and with good reason) copy of the OVA Pure Love?

Sounds interesting. But it might present issues if the person who "won" it was under 18. Razz

Personnally, I'd suggest Garzey's Wing. I've never seen it, or even heard of it before this week, but the quotes from it in the latest Answerfans were hilarious.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

No thank you. The simple joy of being last is enough for me!

Laughing Razz
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17:

Hakuoro

Kazuki is too cheesy.

Group A-18:

Kenshin

Clear front runner.

Group A-19:

Tenma

Tenma is the clear winner, but at times he is indecisve. I wouldn't say he is conflicted in general, but in regards to Johan I would say he is.

Group A-20:

Siegfried
Proven by action and the fact he act as a conscience.
Group A-21:

Goku

Dull minded, but equally heroic.

Group A-22:

Karasu
Always favored protectors.

Group A-23:

Sakura
Group A-24:

Gourry

Unfortunately, this is the last round that I will vote for Sailor Moon. She has heart, courage, and good intentions but falls short in other areas.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
Gourry

Unfortunately, this is the last round that I will vote for Sailor Moon. She has heart, courage, and good intentions but falls short in other areas.

Wait, either I'm misundertanding you, or you just said that this round would be the last round you'd vote for Sailer Moon, but then voted against her.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
mow123 wrote:
Gourry

Wait, either I'm misundertanding you, or you just said that this round would be the last round you'd vote for Sailer Moon, but then voted against her.

Mow quoted someone else's post and forgot to change that last reason there. Easy mistake.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Hakuoro, Utawarerumono. From the guide.

Group A-18
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise

Kenshin. I haven't seen the franchise, but I want to now.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster

Dr. Tenma. It's a tossup for me. The guide makes Dr. Tenma seem more worthy of my vote.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Siegfried. Guide

Group A-21
Goku, Dragonball franchise
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Don't like Dragonball, but gotta give the edge to Goku here.

Group A-22
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
vs.
Karasu, Noein – to your other self

Karasu. He's trying to make up for his past mistakes by protecting the girl in this diminsion that he should have protected in his own.

Group A-23
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There
vs.
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Shu. Stands by his principles in the face of torture, conscription and death threads.

Group A-24
Gourry Gabriev, Slayers franchise
vs.
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon[/quote]

Usagi. Don't know either character well, so its a coin flip.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Coming in under the wire this time...

Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Hakuoro - For heroism both in war and in peacetime, and for having the intelligence to know when heroism is truly called for.

Group A-18
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.

Kenshin Himura - Pacifica has her strong suits, but I don't really feel that heroism is among them.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster

Dr. Kenzou Tenma - By virtue of being the greater of three meh's.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Siegfried Kircheis - I found the anime version of Clare to be more driven than heroic.

Group A-21
Goku, Dragonball franchise
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Goku - As much as I hate to admit it...

Group A-22
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
vs.

Hikaru Shidou

Group A-23
vs.
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Shu Maritani

Group A-24
vs.
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon

Usagi Tsukino
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that I'm the "fourth hand" that Dorcas_Aurelia was mentioning...

Group A-17
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Group A-18

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore

Group A-21
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Group A-22

Group A-23

Group A-24
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group A is now closed.

Final results can be found here. Only two of the matches were even remotely close: Hikaru withstood a late charge by Karasu to win by three votes, while Clare's eventual victory over Siegfried was tenuous until the end, resulting in another mere three-vote win. The other six matches were all decided by double-digit vote margins. Sadly, only 27 votes were recorded, the lowest total yet.

Now that we have one group in the bag for Round 2, it's time to start thinking about video clip recommendations for those who advanced. Several people clamored in the follow-up for the last tournament to use the strongest possible video clips early, but that can only happen if I get recommendations; ccdx and me haven't seen everything, after all, so in some cases we may not be good evaluators of what's strong evidence and what isn't for particular series. Clip recommendations must be no longer than five minutes and must include both an exact time stamp for the clip and a description of the scene's context. Message these to me offlist.

Next round will be up shortly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group B is now closed.

We have two ties to clean up from last round, so this time we actually have a field of 18 instead of a field of 16; somehow I think we won’t see ties again this round at the lower end of the bracket, though! I foresee a typical number of blow-outs, but we do have at least a few intriguing match-ups on line.

Also, a request: please be sure that you’re voting on your evaluation of the character and not your opinion of the title or and/director and/or genre. I tolerated this last round without saying much, but I don’t want to see these “I’m voting against xxxx because I hate Miyazaki works in general” kind of justifications in second-stage and later match-ups. Do note that justifications are not going to be required until next round, so if you’re voting against a character just for those reasons then you’re probably best off not giving a reason.

Group B-17
Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yūjin-Chō

Winner: The Elric brother
Total: 20-7

Group B-18
Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka
vs.
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun

Winner: Onizuka
Total: 23-4

Group B-19
Astro Boy, Astro Boy (Note: link is for original 1963 version)
vs.
Touma Kamijo, A Certain Magical Index (aka To Aru Majutsu no Index)

Winner: Astro Boy
Total: 15-12

Group B-20
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

Winner: Balsa
Total: 26-1

Group B-21
Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai
vs.
Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku

Winner: Shurei
Total: 15-12

Group B-22
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Winner: Utena
Total: 18-9

Group B-23
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket
vs.
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton

Winner: Keaton
Total: 2-7-18

Group B-24
Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Keiichi Maebara, When They Cry
vs.
Vash the Stampede, Trigun

Winner: Vash
Total: 4-10-13

Last edited by Key on Mon May 04, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, I can avoid doing work for a bit longer.

Group B-17
Voting for: Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Reasons: The guide does not convince me away from my initial, gut-reacting choice.

Group B-18
Voting for: Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka

Reasons: While I'm not entirely sure it's not the case for Onizuka as well, I don't really feel that Wolfwood is a great fit in this category.

Group B-19
Voting for: Astro Boy, Astro Boy

Reasons: He's classic and I never thought too much of the other series.

Group B-20
Voting for: Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

Reasons: Guide.

Group B-21
Voting for: Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku

Reasons: It would take a LOT for me to vote against Shurei.

Group B-22
Voting for: Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Reasons: Everything I've heard about her makes Utena sound like the definition of a heroic figure.

Group B-23
Voting for: Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Reasons: Sort of meh about this match-up and I know I voted for her in the tied match so I'll stick with Tohru.

Group B-24
Voting for: Vash the Stampede, Trigun

Reasons: Because he's a contender I would vote for over Shurei.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
vs.

Edward Elric. I'm not crazy about this pick, so it's subject to change if good arguments in favor of Natsume pop up.

Group B-18
vs.

Onizuka I didn't support Wolfwood last round, and Onizuka is a tougher opponent. I like what I hear about him.

Group B-19
vs.

This is the toughie for me. Astro Boy is one of the all-time classics, as well as one of the founding anime heroes, but he's up against one of the purest and truest heroes from any series released in the past year in Japan. Touma shows all of the bravado, altruism, and proactiveness expected of great heroes, and seems intent on proving that his biggest disadvantage can be turned into an advantage. That in of itself seems heroic to me. It's a close one, but I'll go with the fresher pick.

Group B-20
vs.
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

I really think Naruto should go farther than this, but I just can't vote for him over Balsa. She's one of the most impressive heroines to come along in many a year.

Group B-21
vs.

A somewhat hard one, as Kurenai certainly shows a lot of merit. I simply cannot vote for him over Shurei, however. What she accomplishes in her setting, and the example she sets while doing so, is nothing short of extraordinary. The same cannot be said of Kurenai.

Group B-22
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Noriko is certainly worthy to get at least this far, but Utena is one of the group's top competitors.

Group B-23
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
vs.

I honestly think Tohru deserves to be here, but probably no further, and I was just never that impressed with Roger Smith. Thus Taichi Keaton it is.

Group B-24
vs.
vs.
Vash the Stampede, Trigun

I'll give Vash the benefit of the doubt for at least one more around, although I don't consider him to be an overwhelmingly better pick than Shannon.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
New brackets and Mini-game scores posted at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Time for my video clips post.

As Key already mentioned starting in round 3 each character will have a 3-6 minute video clip showing a heroic scene from their respective series.

Key wrote:
Several people clamored in the follow-up for the last tournament to use the strongest possible video clips early

I not sure this is possible, as per what Key already said. Neither of us have seen every single series. It would be unfair to have one characters powerhouse heroic moment up against a scene I just happen to find after hours of searching. I'm being realistic in assuming that I will not get clip suggestions for every character seeing as I've only ever gotten like 15 clip suggestions for all previous tournaments combined.

That's not to say I don't value the clips suggestions I do get. They can potentially take hours off of the work I have to do. So, if you feel strongly that you'd like to support a certain character and prove to everyone else that they are the most heroic and know of a scene in the series that reflects this, please PM me with the following information:

1. The character (duh) ... (yes I have gotten clip suggestions without this vital first bit of information)

2. The episode # and rough time index of the scene. (Ex. from 11:45 - 14:25)

3. It was suggested that the clips be accompanied by a brief description of what is happening in the scene, so I need to know What is happening and if possible Why it is happening.

4. Feel free to suggest as many clips as possible. Multiple suggestions for the same character are encouraged as every clip each round will be new, as the character moves on.

5. Anything goes. Any part of the series is acceptable. Spoilers be damned. Just be aware veiwers that clips might or might not contain spoilers.

Please PM me ASAP with clip suggestions. Right now only Group A is done so clip suggestions for that group can start being suggested now.

That is all. thanks.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
vs.
My vote: Edward Elric
Hmm, this is a tough choice, as Natsume sounds like a pretty good candidate, but Ed, despite his flaws, is pretty strong as well. Going for Ed for now.

Group B-18
vs.
My vote: Eikichi Onizuka
Sorry Wolfwood, I voted for you last round, but you got a lot of flaws and issues, and Onizuka sounds like a stronger candidate than you by a fair degree.

Group B-19
vs.
My vote: Astro Boy
Hmm, two impressive sounding candidates, both from series I don't know. Going for Astro I guess. For now.

Group B-20
vs.
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
My vote: Balsa
An easy choice. Poor Naruto got the worst position of all the shounen heroes in this tournament, stuck facing Balsa in the second round. Naruto can be pretty heroic, yah, but I consider Balsa a candidate worthy of winning the whole tournament (though I'll still vote against her if Duck makes it that far). Naruto is not someone I consider deserving of winning the whole thing, so he loses here.

Group B-21
vs.
My vote: Shurei Kou/Hong
Both candidates sound very impressive, but Shurei gets my vote, if for nothing else than the fact that she's somewhat different from a lot of other candidates. Plus, as I've mentioned before, I was hearing good things about Shurei long before this tournament started. It's one thing when someone decides to comment on a character's heroism during a tournament about that very thing, but it's quite something else when they are so struck by the heroic qualities of a character that they decide to comment on it with no other prompting.

Group B-22
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.
My vote: Utena Tenjou
Utena sounds like one of the stronger characters in this bracket, a classic heroine that inspired traits in many heroines that would follow in later series. Like Shurei, she's someone I've heard great things about for a long time. Noriko, a seemingly strong candidate in her own rights, can't compete.

Group B-23
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
vs.
My vote: Taichi Keaton
Roger Smith, I already voted against when he went against Tohru, so obviously I'm not voting for him here. Between Tohru and Keaton, Keaton sounds like a stronger candidate.

Group B-24
vs.
vs.
Vash the Stampede, Trigun[/quote]
My vote: Keiichi Maebara
I was originally planning on voting for Vash at this stage, and I'm sure he will win regardless of what I do, but... in my arguments for Keiichi last round, I kind of convinced myself of his worth more than I realized. He deserves at least one vote here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 77