• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
ANN Best Duo Tournament Frontpage

This frontpage contains: link to the Main Bracket Page, Duo Guide for the current round, an Index, and the Rules and Guidelines.

Links

ANN Best Duo Tournament Main Bracket Page

This link contains: The entirety of the tournament bracket, a much more aesthetically pleasing representation of results of each round, as well as current Mini-game results.

Group B Duos Guide

This link contains a guide to the duos of the current round, intended to provide a synopsis and guide to each duo in the current round to give people a better voting sense, as well as attempt to minimize random voting and "coin flipping".

Index

Nominations

Part I instructions
Part II instructions
Part III instructions

Prelims

Final Elimination list
Final Process instructions
Mini-Game (Closed)

Round 1

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 2

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 3

GroupA
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 4

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 5

Group A&B
Group C&D

Round 6

Semi-Final

Round 7

Final

Rules and Guidelines

The rules remain largely unchanged from the previous tournament. Here they are:

1. Anyone can vote. One reason some people don't participate is they don't realize they can. Basically, as long as you're signed up and able to post, you're allowed to vote. You don't need to have X number of posts, been here for X amount of time, or have participated in any of the previous rounds - if you want to participate at any point in the tournament, you can. Also, there is no commitment involved! You can enter the tournament and vote for a round whenever you feel like, leave whenever you feel like, vote for one round and never come back (although we hope you stick around longer...), etc.
2. No list posts. This is already a rule of ANN anyway, and it also applies for this tournament. For each group, please tell us why you voted for the duo you did. It doesn't have to be long; a sentence or two for each will do.
3. You must vote for a character in every group. Basically, you must vote in every single bracket in each round you choose to participate. If you have absolutely no clue for a particular group, then go by Key's guide (preferable), the pictures, do a little research, flip a coin, anything that works.
4. You are allowed to change your votes before the time is up. In fact, you are encouraged to change your votes if you feel like you've been convinced one way or another, or have changed your mind. Until the round is closed, you may change your vote in any group at your leisure. However, if you do so, you must indicate such when you edit your post in an obvious way. What's "obvious" is up to your own judgement (preferably red text, bold, or both, but something like ********Vote Change******** wiill generally catch my attention; however, simply "(Vote Change)" or something like that probably won't.) When I'm scanning the pages for last minute vote changes, if you don't indicate a vote change, chances are I won't catch it.
5. Please don't quote character avatars. (Only applies to Round 3 and up). They take up a lot of bandwidth and can make the page load a lot slower for some people.
6. Time limit for each round is one week. I've changed this from the "2 day window rule". Rounds will now begin on Tuesday and end on the following Tuesday, 10:00 PM PST.
7. All of ANN's forum rules also apply here. You can find them here.
8. Have fun!

Last edited by frentymon on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:41 am; edited 47 times in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A is now closed.

Okay, the tournament finally starts. Check the first post for all the info you might need including all the rules and guidelines, good luck, and get voting!

Group A-1

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
vs.
Teresa & Clare from Claymore

Winner: Keiichi & Belldandy
Score: 27-3

Group A-2

Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
vs.
Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura from Marmalade Boy

Winner: Tsubasa & Hikaru
Score: 19-11

Group A-3

Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
vs.
Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku

Winner: Vash & Wolfwood

Group A-4

Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
vs.
Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian from Baccano!

Winner: Kino & Hermes
Score: 20-10

Group A-5

Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
vs.
Karin Maaka & Kenta Usui from Karin

Winner: Rosette & Chrono
Score: 26-4

Group A-6

Ahiru & Fakir from Princess Tutu
vs.
Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass

Winner: Lelouch & CC
Score: 18-12

Group A-7

Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
vs.
Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico

Winner: Renji & Chihiro

Group A-8

Utena & Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket

Winner: Utena & Anthy

Group A-9

Ash & Pikachu from Pokemon
vs.
Ross Sylibus & Naomi Armitage from Armitage III

Winner: Ash & Pikachu

Group A-10

Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
vs.
Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh

Winner: Tomo & Yomi
Score: 17-13

Group A-11

Robin & Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
vs.
Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk

Winner: Robin & Amon
Score: 16-14

Group A-12

Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
vs.
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover

Winner: Mayama & Ayu

Group A-13

Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou from Mahoromatic
vs.
Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf

Winner: Horo & Lawrence

Group A-14

Shuji & Chise from Saikano
vs.
Lavie Head & Claus Valca from Last Exile

Winner: Shuji & Chise

Group A-15

Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
vs.
Seita & Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies

Winner: Van & Hitomi
Score: 22-8

Group A-16

Excel & Hyatt from Excel Saga
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

Winner: Jinto & Lafiel

Last edited by frentymon on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Template

Since these seemed to have helped in previous tournaments, I figured I'd make another one. You don't have to use this, but it's there if you need it.

Template wrote:

Group A-1
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-2
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-3
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-4
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-5
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-6
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-7
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-8
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-9
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-10
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-11
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-12
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-13
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-14
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-15
Voting for:
Reason:

Group A-16
Voting for:
Reason:

Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy and Keiichi from Ah! My Goddess.
Reason:While I'm not the biggest fan of the series, this pair is one of the most memorable romantic couples from the romantic comedy genre, in my opinion.

Group A-2
Voting for: Miki & Yuu from Marmalade Boy
Reason: A week from now my vote would likely be different (I'm only through the first episode of Figure 17 currently), but for now, I'm most familiar with this older shoujo pairing, and while their series was over dramatic, the pairing was sweet and fun. They were interesting to watch as they grew closer, and while a little...umm...different, their spoiler[decision to be together, even if it meant they were committing incest] suggests their love was stronger than they could contain.

Group A-3
Voting for: Wolfwood and Vash from Trigun
Reason: While they were often opposed in their philosophies, when they worked together they could manage just about anything. Their teamwork really stood out early in Wolfwood's introduction into the series.

Group A-4
Voting for: Kino & Heres from Kino's Journey
Reason: Well, as someone who nominated this pair (I think I may have been the first), it seems only right I vote for them. But there's more to it than that. Hermes was Kino's sounding board. She could speak, get his very simplistic response, and work out her own feelings out of that. Their relationship was symbiotic, and played out in a gentle, realistic manner--particularly given it's a girl and her motorcycle.

Group A-5
Voting for: Rosette & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
Reason: I haven't seen either of these series, but I own Chrono Crusade, so I'll use that as my decision for who to vote for.

Group A-6
Voting for: Ahiru and Fakir from Princess Tutu
Reason: Watching these two grow from rivals into a friendship that touched the heart was one of my favorite points of the wonderful Princess Tutu series. They were bound together by fate, and managed to work through all of their own demons in order to aid the other to solve the mess they were in. Truly an excellent pair.

Group A-7
Voting for: Akito and Yurika from Martian Successor Nadesico
Reason: Haven't seen either series, but I'm going to vote for the one with a few more years on it. I'm biased, what can I say.

Group A-8
Voting for: Utena and Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
Reason: It's all up to personal interpretation when it comes to these two. Some say their relationship is purely platonic, others (like me!) say it's romantic, but regardless, you have two young women put together in a bizarre situation who manage to fight through simply because they have one another. Other motivations exist, but fall to the wayside. All that matters is their dear, dear friendship.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash and Pikachu from Pokemon
Reason: Haven't see either series, but come on, even I know who those two are. They're like peanut butter and jelly. Sure you can have one without the other, but it just isn't quite as good.

Group A-10 *VOTE CHANGED*
Voting for: Otani and Risa from Lovely Complex
Reason: I originally went with Tomo and Yomi simply due to familiarity, but quite frankly, they aren't really that good of a duo, and it really sounds like Otani and Risa are.

Group A-11
Voting for: Robin and Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
Reason: Haven't seen either series. Simply going off the fact that Robin is a very pretty character. I'm so superficial when I can't make a decision.

Group A-12
Voting for: Shigure and Hatori from Fruits Basket
Reason: While I really don't think Shigure and Hatori are shown as that strong of a pair, I firmly believe that what Yamada and Mayama had was a very unhealthy relationship and I cannot bring myself to vote for them. Stalking is not cool. Obsessing over a stalker is also not cool, particularly when he doesn't treat you all that well to begin with. I really don't see how these two got into the tournament...

Group A-13
Voting for: Suguru and Mahoro from Mahoromantic
Reason: We'll just call this a coin-flip and leave it at that.

Group A-14
Voting for: Lavie and Claus from Last Exile
Reason: Haven't seen either series, but those two are just adorable!

Group A-15
Voting for: Van & Hitomi from Vision of Escaflowne
Reason: While I haven't seen Escaflowne, I don't know, I just can't really bring myself to vote for Seita and Setsuko. I can't really put my finger on why either. Something just didn't quite settle right for me with them. It didn't feel much like a partnership as much as two little kids living the same bad life in the same area. While the love was clearly there, it wasn't really a partnership as I see it.

Group A-16
Voting for: Excel and Hyatt from Excel Saga
Reason: As much as I'm not really a fan of the series (it has its moments, but overall, not well liked in my household), I can't help but admit that Excel and Hyatt together formed a great comic duo, playing off of one another in a way that kept me giggling even when the rest of the cast (which I generally disliked) showed up.

Last edited by Mylene on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Keiichi Morisato & Belldandy from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: A classic duo. They are a well recognized pair and are pretty much the epitome of romantic couples.

Group A-2
Voting for: Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
Reason: I nominated these two, so that's one reason. Also, the show's main focus is the development of the two as they rely on each other to overcome situations/obstacles. Tsubasa couldn't change without Hikaru.

Group A-3
Voting for: Vash the Stampede & Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun
Reason: I'm not particularly interested in either pair, so these two win by the flip of a coin (i.e. random choice).

Group A-4
Voting for: Isaac Dian & Miria Harvent from Baccano!
Reason: Dang, I feel that both pairs should move forward (group each one with one of the others from A-5). But in the end, I haven't seen enough of Kino's Journey to really get a feel for the relationship there. Isaac and Miria on the other hand are quite possibly one of the most hilarious duos ever. Completely inseparable.

Group A-5
Voting for: Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
Reason: I know a bit about the show and feel that these two have a fairly strong bond. That, and I haven't seen Karin.

Group A-6
Voting for: Ahiru & Fakir from Princess Tutu
Reason: This group was probably the hardest for me to decide, because I've seen neither series well enough to know the characters. The one I've seen more is Lelouch and C.C., though I've never really considered them as that huge of a pair. Ahiru and Fakir seem stronger.

Group A-7
Voting for: Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories.
Reason: I felt the series focused on their relationship more than it did any of the others. Chihiro really couldn't be with anyone else but Renji, especially considering her condition.

Group A-8
Voting for: Utena & Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
Reason: I haven't seen enough of Fruits Basket to know the other pair, and although I haven't seen Utena at all, Utena and Anthy are a classic pairing. I've almost never seen one without the other.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash & Pikachu from Pokemon
Reason: Can you seriously argue against this one? I like the way Mylene put it: these two are like peanut butter and jelly, an inseparable team. I'm not a fan of peanut butter, but at least I'll admit that it's weird not to have the two together.

Group A-10
Voting for: Atsuhi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
Reason: Because their situation is rather hilarious. I love Tomo and Yomi, but I don't really feel that they should make it past this round.

Group A-11
Voting for: Robin & Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
Reason: Another hard one. I couldn't decide which pair I thought should move on, so I went with the series I've seen completely.

Group A-12
Voting for: Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
Reason: Went for these two because they seem like a stronger pair. Really, it's a random shot.

Group A-13
Voting for: Lawrence Craft & Horo from Spice and Wolf
Reason: These two made the show. Witty conversations and plot scheming all made for a fun adventure. Any other duo riding in a wagon discussing economics would probably be boring.

Group A-14
Voting for: Claus Valca & Lavie Head from Last Exile
Reason: This one was very tough. I figure both are very recognizable, but I decided to go with the series I have seen. Claus and Lavie are a tream -- one can't fly (well) without the other.

Group A-15
Voting for: Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
Reason: I feel these two are the stronger pair and should move on, though I'm not as enthusiastic about this vote as some others.

Group A-16 *VOTE CHANGE*
Voting for: Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars
Reason: Was persuaded by Key. I wasn't exactly happy with my Excel Saga vote anyway.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Teresa & Clare from Claymore
Reason: toss a coin, I don't know too much about these series.

Group A-2
Voting for: Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura from Marmalade Boy
Reason: Haven't seen either series, toss a coin.

Group A-3
Voting for: Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku
Reason: Like above.

Group A-4
Voting for: Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
Reason: At last, characters I know Smile Miria and Isaac were funny duo but I like Kino and Hermes relatinship better.

Group A-5
Reason: I'm not familiar with Karin so I vote in favour of couple I know.

Group A-6
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass
Reason: I'm in a quandary, I would like to see both couple go further but unfortunetely they meet very early.... I choose Lelouch Lamperouge & CC because I prefer this darker type of relationship.

Group A-7
Voting for: Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico
Reason: I'm not familiar with both, toss a coin.

Group A-8
Reason: Certainly, relationship between Utena & Anthy was better developed and because of that I found it more interesting than Ayame & Shigure relationship.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ross Sylibus & Naomi Armitage from Armitage III
Reason: Because Ash annoys me

Group A-10 VOTE CHANGED
Voting for: Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
Reason: I originally voted for Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh.

Group A-11
Reason: I'm not familiar with Basilisk

Group A-12
Voting for: Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
Reason: No competition, I don't like Mayama and I prefer Ayumi with Nomiya I always thought of Mayama as a nuisance besides what she saw in this stalker.

Group A-13
Voting for: Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf
Reason: One reason I don't know Mahoromatic, but even if I know it still would be very difficult to beat Horo and Lawrence.

Group A-14
Voting for: Lavie Head & Claus Valca from Last Exile
Reason: I'm going with the one I'm familiar with.

Group A-15
Reason: Like above

Group A-16
Reason: toss a coin.

Last edited by Aylinn on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: I just tossed a coin, besides the picture looks funny.

Group A-2
Reason: I love both of them and they are inseperable. Hikaru always takes care of Tsubasa.

Group A-3
Reason: It looks like they are deeply in love.

Group A-4
Reason: They have traveled different places they were truly a partner.

Group A-5
Voting for: Karin Maaka & Kenta Usui from Karin
Reason: I'm liking the picture.

Group A-6
Reason: I really wanted to watch this series and I've heard great deal about this. So I'm voting for them.

Group A-7
Voting for: Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
Reason: They are my favourite couple and their love story is just heartfelt.

Group A-8
Voting for: Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket
Reason: It's because out of the two I've seen this one. No particular reason.

Group A-9
Reason: Of course I don't deny that they are the most ultimate buddy of all the anime I've seen. They have trained very hard LoL! (And they still tries to be a master.)

Group A-10
Voting for: Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
Reason: Nothing really, but this one is on my plan to read list.

Group A-11
Voting for: Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk
Reason: I'm familiar with this series cause I've seen the series a couple of times.

Group A-12
Reason: No need to vote for the another one cause I had already voted for the other pair from Furuba..... Besides this series is romance I guess.

Group A-13
Voting for: Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou from Mahoromatic
Reason: This is a tough one since I've seen some of the episodes for each series....... But I'll go with Mahoromatic cause nothing beats fanservice.

Group A-14
Voting for: Shuji & Chise from Saikano
Reason: Because it looks like everyone who've seen this shed tears at the end...... I wanted to watch the anime as well.

Group A-15
Voting for: Seita & Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies
Reason: I salute and idolized these kids cause of what happened to them. I surely don't know what to do if something like that happens to me. I liked the series....

Group A-16
Reason: Because they look as if they get along together. Haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy and Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: I’ve been following the manga more than the anime, but they’re still a very sweet, romantic couple. Plus, Claymore is at a disadvantage here because I’ve yet to see it.

Group A-2
Reason: I haven’t seen either, but the premise of Marmalade Boy intrigues me more than Figure 17.

Group A-3
Reason: I haven’t seen either (again), but I’ve read very good things about Maison Ikkoku and have always wanted to check it out.

Group A-4
Voting for: Hermes and Kino from Kino’s Journey
Reason: Like Mylene said, they’re symbiotic. Each sees life and their travels in a different, yet complimentary, way and each gives the other something to think about in every conversation.

Group A-5
Voting for: Karin and Kenta from Karin
Reason: I like their chemistry. I like how they work to support each other in their own unique ways.

Group A-6
Voting for: Ahiru and Fakir from Princess Tutu
Reason: Another pair I haven’t seen. Everybody talks so highly of Princess Tutu, I’ll use that as my reason.

Group A-7
Voting for: Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef – a tale of memories
Reason: Haven’t seen either series, but reading Ko’s answer makes me lean in this direction.

Group A-8
Voting for: Ayame and Shigure from Fruits Basket
Reason: Well, I’m a Furuba fan, what can I say? I love their shounen-ai greetings and how they play off each other for comedy.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash and Pikachu from Pokeman
Reason: They’re inseparable. You can’t think of one and not the other.

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh
Reason: Tomo annoys me to no end, and I’ve often wondered why Yomi continues to hang around with her. But, their love-hate relationship is always entertaining.

Group A-11
Reason: I haven’t seen much of either series, so I’m blindly picking a pair here.

Group A-12
Voting for: Shigure and Hatori from Fruits Basket
Reason: Going with Fruits Basket again. These two are a good team. Shigure often tries to loosen up the way to serious Hatori, and Hatori often serves as Shigure’s conscience.

Group A-13
Voting for: Lawrence and Horo from Spice and Wolf
Reason: Their interaction made the series what it is. They’re comfortable around each other and able to speak their minds.

Group A-14
Voting for: Claus and Lavie from Last Exile
Reason: They’re a good team, both in a vanship and in life.

Group A-15
Reason: They’re mutually supportive and protective. I also enjoyed how their story played out for its highs and lows.

Group A-16
Reason: Their partnership made this series. Between Excel’s hyperactivity and Hyatt’s near non-existent energy, they’re a good balance.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
A-1
Belldandy and Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Because they are so cute and had an extremely innocent bond. “classic,” as was said before.

A-2
Miki and Yuu from Marmalade Boy
Because it was corny but had its moments, and I haven’t seen Figure 17

A-3
Nicholas and Vash from Trigun
Because you can’t really beat these two, especially in a fight

A-4
Miria and Harvent from Baccano!
Because I haven’t seen either series and one “person” in the other pair is a motorcycle

A-5
Rosette and Chrono from Chrono Crusade
Because her life is in his hands and they are incredibly sweet and I haven’t seen Karin

A-6
Lelouch and C.C. from Code Geass
Because you can tell these two are going to follow each other to the grave. She’s like his other half and knows everything about him, all his dirty secrets and still loves him.

A-7
Renji and Chihiro from ef~a tale of memories
Because I’ve only seen Martian Successor, but I’ve heard so much about the poignancy of ef, and combining that with the fact that Yurika and Akito can come off as a bit silly, I’m giving my vote to ef

A-8
Utena and Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
Because I know nothing about this show but one of them is obvs the protagonist, and Ayame and Shigure aren’t a particularly strong couple in Fruits basket.

A-9
Ross and Naomi from Armitage III
Because I prefer human pairs

A-10
Otani and Risa from LoveCom
Because I LOVE THIS SHOW and because even after poking around about Azumanga Daioh which I have not seen, I couldn’t figure out who the main “pairs” were so I didn’t vote for any Azumanga Daoih pairs in the whole tournament. Oh well *sigh*

A-11
Gennosuke and Oboro from Basilisk
Because they are protagonist lovers while Robin and Amon’s status was quite ambiguous for most of the series.

A-12
Takumi and Ayumi from Honey & Clover
Because again I didn’t think the Fruits Basket pairing was strong enough

A-13
Horo and Lawrence from Spice and Wolf
Because how cute were they?

A-14
Lavie and Claus from Last Exile
Because I haven’t seen either show but heard more about this one.

A-15
Seita and Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies
Because I have seen both and didn’t feel that the connection between Van and Hitomi was as strong as that between Seita and Setsuko.

A-16
changed my vote to Jinto and Lafiel
the heavy campaigning done here has convinced me that these two are a much stronger couple

Phew, done

Laughing

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Reason: The attraction between the two is undeniable, and I have not seen Claymore to compare.

Group A-2
Reason: Well... of the 2 series, Marmalade Boy is the only one I've even heard of =) So, it gets the vote.

Group A-3
Voting for: Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede
Reason: These are two characters I have heard people talking about even before I enjoyed watching anime. To make such an impression, they have to be a pretty popular duo.

Group A-4
Voting for: Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian from Baccano!
Reason: Of the 2, Baccano! is the only one I am familiar with.

Group A-5
Voting for: Karin Maaka & Kenta Usui from Karin
Reason: This was a tough one. Not only am I not familiar with either series, but both choices include a character who's name is also in the title of the anime! I have changed my vote, as I began watching Karin over the last couple days, and I find no fault with them as a couple. I am still unfamiliar with Chrono Crusade.

Group A-6
Reason: I've seen a lot newswise about Lelouch, and to me exposure = importance.

Group A-7
Voting for: Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
Reason: I'm only familiar with ef, so ef gets the vote. (Plus Martian Successor Nadesico just flat out sounds silly.)

Group A-8
Voting for: Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket Reason: Another tough one. An anime I've seen (FB) vs. a character who's name is in the title of the anime. To be fair, I went with the only one I've seen.

Group A-9
Reason: Ash and Pikachu have been an anime duo for the ages. Everyone knows Pokemon, even if they don't watch anime.

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh
Reason: I still have no idea what the heck Azumanga Daioh is about, but I see it everywhere and all the shelves in the dvd collection photo thread have Azumanga Daioh, so there must be something to it =) I'll have to look into that one.

Group A-11
Voting for: Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk
Reason: I haven't seen either, but Basilisk seems to be pretty popular. And it's a good chance that a popular series will have good pairs of characters.

Group A-12
Reason: I just don't see Shigure & Hatori as an especially strong duo.

Group A-13
Voting for: Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf
Reason: I've never heard of Mahoromatic before

Group A-14
Reason: Ugh... I've never seen or heard of either of these. I went with those two because Claus reminds me of Santa Claus.

Group A-15
Voting for: Seita & Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies
Reason: Grave of the Fireflies gets a bit of an advantage in this tournament I feel, since it's difficult to compare such a realistic anime against so many clearly fictional characters. Those two are going to be tough to beat.

Group A-16
Voting for: Excel & Hyatt from Excel Saga
Reason: Never seen them, so I have to rely on my "Character's name in the title of the anime" strategy

Last edited by Bluebeard on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy and Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: They’re still a very sweet, romantic couple. Good pair.

Group A-2
Reason: Thought that the other duo was a bit too corny and cliched.
Group A-3
Voting for: Vash the Stampede & Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun
Reason: I am going purely on the popularity of this series.

Group A-4
Voting for: Hermes and Kino from Kino’s Journey
Reason: A very complementary pair. Although their perspectives differ, both Kino and Hermes helps the other live on.

Group A-5
Voting for: Chrono & Rosette Christopher from Chrono Crusade
Reason: Purely based off the popularity of the series.

Group A-6
Reason: Although, their relationship seems jaded; they are very much in tough situation together. They also come from a popular shonen series with high user ratings.
Group A-7
Voting for:Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef ~a tale of memories
Reason: Haven't seen the other series.

Group A-8
Voting for: Ayame and Shigure from Fruits Basket
Reason: Well, I’m a Furuba fan, what can I say? I love their shounen-ai greetings and how they play off each other for comedy.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash and Pikachu from Pokemon
Reason: An inseparable duo with very strong name recognition. Unfortunately, some anime fans dismiss the duo purely because the show is aimed for a younger audience.

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh
Reason: They have opposite personalties and they hate each others guts, but their rivalry makes them a good duo.

Group A-11
Reason: I haven’t seen much of either series, so I’m blindly picking a pair here.

Group A-12
Reason: I have heard great thing about this series. I haven't seen it, but it is on my wish list.
Group A-13
Voting for: Lawrence and Horo from Spice and Wolf
Reason: Broader appeal than its echhi competitor.

Group A-14
Voting for: Shuji & Chise from Saikano
Reason: Didn't know much about either series.

Group A-15
Reason: They are very supportive of each other.

Group A-16
Reason: Their partnership made this series. Between Excel’s craziness and Hyatt’s calmness, they’re good counters to each other.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Reason: One of the classic anime pairs, it's hard to vote against them.

Group A-2
Reason: A great duo from a wonderful series. Tsubasa and Hikaru help each other to grow throughout the series, each in her own way.

Group A-3
Voting for: Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
Reason: Definitely not one of the stronger duos in the tournament (in my opinion) but good enough to make it out of the first round.

Group A-4
Reason: It's hard to imagine one without the other. As Kino travels the world trying to make sense of it all, Hermes serves as a friend and confidant, gives an alternate viewpoint on things, and of course is the one that carries Kino on their journeys.

Group A-5
Reason: I know nothing about Karin but Rosette and Chrono are, I think, worthy of a vote.

Group A-6
Reason: I'm really struggling to get through Princess Tutu right now, but even without having finished I can see the potential of the growing relationship between Ahiru and Fakir. Add in that I know nothing about Code Geass and they get my vote.

Group A-7
Voting for: Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico
Reason: After all they go through, in the end it seems Akito and Yurika were just meant to be together.

Group A-8
Reason: I've never seen Utena, but even I have heard of this pairing. I also don't think Shigure and Ayame are much of a duo.

Group A-9
Reason: I do like Armitage, but Ash and Pikachu are such an iconic duo that I can't choose Ross and Naomi over them.

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh
Reason: Tomo and Yomi's longtime friendship gets my vote here.

Group A-11
Reason: This is a case of voting for the series I have seen over the one I know nothing about.

Group A-12
Voting for: Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
Reason: I don't think Shigure and Hatori are that great of a pair, but Mylene's reasoning on this one won me over.

Group A-13
Voting for: Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou from Mahoromatic
Reason: Schoolboy and cute android maid? Well, OK.

Group A-14
Reason: Claus and Lavie have such a sweet relationship. They draw strength from each other that helps them to get through all the challenges they must overcome.

Group A-15
Reason: I'm going with Van and Hitomi. Escaflowne is an epic fantasy adventure, and they are at the center of it all.

Group A-16
Reason: Not only are Jinto and Lafiel a great team with their strengths complimenting each other, but their relationship is really what makes Crest of the Stars such a great show.

Last edited by ManOfRust on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
guet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
Group A-1

Teresa & Clare from Claymore
Reason: I have only seen Claymore, plus this was a good pair.

Group A-2

Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
Reason: Picture... I have seen neither series.

Group A-3

Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
Reason: A preacher that kills, and a gunman that doesn't. One of my all time favorite action pairs.

Group A-4

Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian from Baccano
Reason: I have seen neither series, So am going with suggestions made later in the thread.

Group A-5

Reason: Although this isn't the deepest series out there, I enjoyed it, and these two are deserving of the vote.

Group A-6

Reason: Every tournament needs a guy with a god complex and a chick with green hair.

Group A-7

Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
Reason: I have only seen Nadesico, but it seems that ef is the stronger story, and to be honest, I kinda feel sorry for Akito now that I think about it a bit

Group A-8

Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket
Reason: Coin toss, have seen neither.

Group A-9

Reason:It's been years since I have seen this, but I still remember getting a bit choked up with the line "My father gave me wings". Plus Keifer Sutherland doing voice work is full of win.

Group A-10

Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
Reason: Although azumanga is a show about high school girls that I am actually not ashamed to admit I like. I don't think these two are the stongest pair in the show, and others seem to think that the other two in this bracket deserve to move on.

Group A-11

Robin & Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
Reason: I have seen both, but honestly, I could not vote for the the pair from basilisk. One reason, I had several issues with the show, the second reason.... Eyebrows.

Group A-12

Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
Reason: I have seen neither, and I voted for a pair from fruits basket earlier, so these two get my vote by default.

Group A-13

Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf
Reason: I believe these two deserve a shot in the final rounds, as mostly an action fan, the fact that I was hooked on this show based on their interactions alone speaks volumes for these two.

Group A-14

Lavie Head & Claus Valca from Last Exile
Reason: Great pair, great show.

Group A-15

Reason: Have only seen Escalowne.

Group A-16
Reason: Changed vote due to later posts that say this is the stronger pair.

Edit: Changed votes for A4, A7, A10 and A16, due to people's arguments.

Last edited by guet on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: As others have said these 2 are one of the most prolific examples of a true couple in any sense of the word. Their relationship puts almost all others to shame and it's damn near impossible to not vote for them if you know anything about the show. Plus as this was my first manga ever and I am a complete OMG fanboy they must continue on!

Group A-2
Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura from Marmalade Boy
Reason: I think both couple honestly have an equal reason to move on so it was tough to choose between the two. But I think miki and Yuu can go further in the tournament and are just a bit stronger as a duo so I cast my vote for them.

Group A-3
Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku
Reason: In my mind these 2 are a much stronger pair then Vash and Wolfwood. I doubt they'll win but I can't bring myself to vote for Vash and Wolfwood when I know Kyoko and Yusaku are the stronger pair.

Group A-4
Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
Reason: While hermes is not "real" per se the relationship shared with Kino is another example I think of a truly good couple/duo. I think they're one of the strongest duo's in the tournament and if nothing else they definitely deserve to move on to the next round if not further.

Group A-5
Reason: Karin and Kenta are nice and cute but they are just outclasses by the bond between Rosette and Chrono. I challenge anyone to watch the ending of that series and not vote for them in this grouping. it's simply a no brainer IMHO.

Group A-6
Reason: I found myself struggling to decide between the two as I like both pairs. So I used the age old method of coin flipping and Lelouch and CC won. I'll feel bad no matter who gets voted off so best to make this vote short and sweet.

Group A-7
Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico
Reason: The relationship starts slowly but towards the middle and end their relationship is what keeps the show going and directly influences the plot and ending of the series. Plus as a mecha fanboy and die hard fan of Dai (he should've won dammit lol) I have to vote for Nadesico.

Group A-8
Utena & Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
Reason: As good of a couple as Ayame & Shigure are I think there are better ones in the series. Plus, they're up against another one of the heavy weights of the couples we have in this tournament. I honestly can't see them beating Anthy and Utena nor do I think they should. They simply are outclassed as a couple here so my vote goes for Utena. Plus the show is a classic.

Group A-9
Reason: Despite how iconic Ash & Pikachu may be I cannot bring myself to vote for them, given that one doesn't even have any real blastid lines, over Ross and Naomi. I mean he helps her to understand life and change herself entirely, and spoiler[they start a family]. A boy and the equivalent of his pet dog simply don't do it for me. Plus if Pikachu ever got rabies it's all over for Ash heh.

Group A-10
Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh

Reason: i love the show and these two just are a riot. Plus they've been friends since they were little so you can't help but vote for that kind of long lasting friendship. Plus they're both human heh.

Group A-11
Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk
Reason: Robin and Amon are a ambiguous duo, even in just a platonic sense, for most of the damn show. There's no real connection until MUCH later on. In Basilisk it's all about the relationship between Oboro and Gennosuke and how they're supposed to get married and how that relationship will endure the war between their clans. I mean they both spoiler[die for each other at the end]. So that easily puts them over Amon and Robin.

Group A-12
Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
Reason: I said earlier there were better suited duos in Fruit's Basket that should move on, this is one of them. Plus it's a better choice/duo for Shigure in itself as well. So if Shigure is going to move on this is the pair in which he should move on with.

Group A-13
Suguru and Mahoro from Mahoromantic
Reason: because I have not seen almost anything of Spice & Wolf and because I always thought Mahoro and Suguru were cute together. Plus I have a weakness for maids. What can I say?

Group A-14
Shuji & Chise from Saikano
Reason: Both are great couples but Shuji and Chise are the 2nd strongest couple in this round IMO. I mean the show was just full of drama and difficulties for these 2. This is one of the couples that went through the most heart ache and drama of any in the tournament. The hardships they face are staggering and their bond is stronger then most in this tournament. All those voting against them who have not seen the show should watch 2 episodes and then tell me they should not win. Better yet, watch the ending and then tell me that. If they don't go on to the next round it will be a crime.

Group A-15
Reason: Not a big fan of either couple honestly but I think Van and Hitomi stand a better chance at moving on further in the tournament so they get my vote.

Group A-16
Reason: While Excel & Hyatt are a great duo they simply pale in comparison to the bonds and friendship between Jinto and Lafiel. Hyatt and Excel just can't compare to them and this is another case of one couple simply outclassing the other by a good measure.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
A-9
Ross and Naomi from Armitage III
Because I prefer human pairs

Something seems odd about this quote.

Bluebeard, you have seen everything I have not while I have seen everything you have not (with a few titles overlapping) on this list!

Here are my choices:

Group A-1
Belldandy & Keiichi
This couple seem to define many of todays romance with otherworldly shows. There are many moments in Air and Kanon which remind me of Ah My Goddess.

Group A-2
Tsubasa & Hikaru
Hikaru is the perfect compliment for Tsubasa.

Group A-3
Godai & Kyoko
The Maison couple overcome some real hardships in their 96 episode run. There are times where it looked really bad for Godai, who manages to always pull through.

Group A-4
Hermes & Kino
Kino and Hermes seem to have such a strong bond. I wasn't even sure if other people besides Kino could even hear Hermes for a good portion of the series.

Group A-5
Rosetta & Chrono
The Karin couple is cute, but can't compete with the Chrono couple. All I will say is the last episode is what will keep me voting for this couple until most likely near the end. Those who have finished this series surely will know what I mean.

Group A-6
Lelouch &CC
Since Geass is forthcoming to R1 I have yet to see it. On the other hand I'm still in the process of watching Tutu and so far I really hate Fakir. I'll try to finish Tutu soon so I can have a better view of these two. Seeing everyones post makes me believe that their relationship is much like Sora and Layla's.

Group A-7
Akito & Yurika
There is something very innocent about these two characters.

Group A-8
Ayame & Shigure
I tend to like the older Sohma family members in Fruits Basket and love how they play off each other.

Group A-9
Ross & Naomi
I love the happy domestic life that these two share. They are not young crushes like most of the romantic couples seen here. I can't believe Pokemon is the only R1 series listed in Group A that I don't own (or have seen for that matter).

Group A-10
Tomo & Yomi
My favorite eye catch from the series is Tomo wearing Yomi's glasses.

Group A-11
Robin & Amon
I like how their relationship was handled in the series. A typical schoolgirl crush would have felt so out of place in this series. I actually prefer Gennosuke & Akeginu over Oboro. Still a tough call.

Group A-12
Shigure & Hatori
Once again I really like these three older Sohma's. These two are the ones I identify the most (I love Hatori's backstory) with from the series.

Group A-13
Horo & Craft Lawrence
Since Spice and Wolf has yet to get an R1 release this is a blind pick. I really didn't care for the Mahoro couple and the last episode eliminated made me really dislike Suguru. Plus I need to prove that I'm not just copying Psycho's answers!

Group A-14
Lavie & Claus
There is something about best friends' kids becoming best friends that really rings well for me. They are great business partners, and friends with the perks of practically being family. I agree that they are just adorable! I just felt sorry for the Saikano couple more than anything else.

Group A-15
Van & Hitomi
I suppose this is the closet romantic in me triumphing over the realist.

Group A-16
Jinto & Lafiel
This is the hardest choice from this round. Excel is one of my all time favorite characters, and her pairing with Hyatt was great for comical relief and amazin OP credits sequence. When it comes down to it the emotional connection between Jinto and Lafiel is so much stronger and significant. What begins as a cute cultural exchange in Crest really grows into a strong bond by Banner of the Stars II.

I'm a bit surprised at how many people made decisions by coin toss. People can change their answers before the next round if what others post can influence them, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 80