• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Group C-25

Edward & Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist [ Video Link ]

Though Bebop is by far the series I like better of these two, I think Ed and Al are a stronger duo than Spike and Jet.

Group C-26

Batou & Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: SAC [ Video Link ]

The major and Batou make a great team, and like others have said it's not in the major's nature to make an obvious outward showing of emotion. I think the bond these two have runs pretty deep, but you kind of have to see the whole series to get an appreciation for it since there's not any one obvious example you can point to and say that it exemplifies their relationship.

Group C-27

Yuji Kaidou & Marlene Angel from Blue Gender [ Video Link ]

Jessie and James are my favorite part of Pokemon but all the comments that have been made about Yuji and Marlene have convinced me that it's time for them to be blasting off agaaaaaain!

Group C-28

Christmas & Kurau from Kurau Phantom Memory [ Video Link ]

I never thought Millie and Meryl were a very strong pair to begin with, so this is an easy choice for me. I sure wish I had seen Kurau, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get the chance before this tournament is over. I will get to it eventually, though.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Group C-25

vs.
Spike Spiegal & Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop [ Video Link ]

Cowboy Bebeop is a great series. Part of what makes it so great is some of the interactions between Spike & Jet. They are a fairly good duo that deserve to have made it this far. But against Edward & Alphonse Elric, there is absolutely no way. What Ed & Al go through together in most any single episode, just crushes almost all other competition. I foresee them going on in this tournament a long ways, but just how far, that will be exciting to see.

Group C-26

Zagato & Princess Emeraude from Magic Knight Rayearth [ Video Link ]
vs.

I'm a little confused as to how Zagato & Princess Emeraude are even considered a duo. I found that clip after hours of searching in like episode 22 of 26 as they both have very little if any screen time together. When they are on screen together they are more or less enemies. The clip even is no exception to this. There is however some hint that Zagato secretly loves Emeraude or something... Batou & Motoko Kusanagi win by default here. They are in fact a duo, and not a bad one at that. Definitely not one of the strongest, but a decent one.

Group C-27

vs.
James & Jessie from Pokemon [ Video Link ]

Yuji Kaidou & Marlene Angel. Not much else to say on the subject...

Group C-28

Meryl Stryfe & Milly Thompson from Trigun [ Video Link ]
vs.

Christmas & Kurau crush their competition here. The more I see of Phantom Memory the better it gets and the more obvious it is to see how strong this duo really is. I'm still not 100% convinced they have what it takes to make it to the finals, but I look forward to finding out.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
There is however some hint that Zagato secretly loves Emeraude or something...

Um, it's far more than hinted. I'll quote from Wikipedia, since I don't remember the details well enough to reword:

spoiler[The Pillar of Cephiro must spend every waking moment of their existence praying for Cephiro's benefit, and when Princess Emeraude fell in love with Zagato the high priest, she was constantly thinking of him and not Cephiro. Because of this, Emeraude imprisoned herself in the 'water dungeon' (resembling a large peony in an underwater cavern beneath Zagato's court) with the idea that if she cannot see him, she will forget him and return to her duties as the Pillar without further distraction. Zagato, however, stays by her side; in despair, and knowing that her own death is the only way she can stop being the Pillar and leave Cephiro free to choose someone more suited, Emeraude summons the three girls from the outside world, but Zagato sends his henchmen to kill them so they can't reach her.

When this fails and the Magic Knights kill Zagato, Emeraude collapses under the tremendous weight of her own guilt and grief. Transforming into an older- and more sinister-looking version of herself, she breaks free from the water prison. This form is only filled with anger and pure hatred for the Magic Knights for killing Zagato - forgetting it was she who summoned them in the first place.

Zagato's court begins to fall apart beneath her anger, and she dons her own Mashin and grabs Zagato's fallen sword. She begins to fight the Magic Knights in their Mashin and they see fleeting visions of the real Emeraude, who tells them of her plight and how she has realized that it would be better if she died than tried to rule Cephiro with a heart tainted with grief and regret. No one of Cephiro is allowed to kill the Pillar and the Pillar cannot will itself to die, so the "girls from another world" (the Magic Knights) are there solely for that purpose: to don the Mashin and kill the current Pillar of Cephiro, as death is the only way for the Pillar to abandon their duty.

The Knights resist at first, but tearfully give in when Emeraude begs them to send her to "where she may think only of Zagato" and be with him. Emeraude dies, using the last of her power to send them home, back to the exact moment they disappeared from Tokyo Tower. The last image of her they see is her purified adult self in Zagato's arms, smiling sweetly and thanking the Knights for granting her last wish.]

Given everything that they go through, calling into question their "duo-ness" is incomprehensible to me. Romantic couples are pretty clearly duos.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Hello, this is my first time voting in the tournament. I was kind of around during the nominations phase, but wasn't really on ANN that much since and it's great to see that the tournament is going strong.

Group C-25

I love Cowboy Bebop, but I feel that Ed and Al have a much deeper bond and stronger relationship. Maybe it is because I am very close to my own brother and sister that a sibling relationship to me is one that can be even more important than a romantic one.

Group C-26

Despite not having seen, Magic Knight Rayearth, I think I would have voted for the Major and Batou anyway. Though they are not really a romantic couple, nor are they the best of friends, their relationship is just different, but in a good way. They depend and rely on each other because of the work they do, and it seems that Batou has some feelings for the Major, including love and admiration for her skills.

Group C-27

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Pokemon hater. I actually love Jessie and James and watched the original Pokemon when it was on television. But I really like Yuji and Marlene's relationship in Blue Gender. At first they didn't get along and hated each other, and for them to end up being able to love each other in an environment when love doesn't happen, it's just all about fulfilling your instant desire, I think means a lot. Or maybe I'm just reading into it more than I should.

Group C-28

I have seen Trigun, and not Kurau Phantom Memory. But based on other's arguments and reading reviews of the series on ANN, it seems like Christmas and Kurau have a close bond with each other which is why I am voting for them.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Group C-25
Edward & Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
I felt that these two are a very strong duo.

Group C-26
Batou & Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Based on what people have said.

Group C-27
Yuji Kaidou & Marlene Angel from Blue Gender
I would go for the Pokemon pair but I’ve heard good things about this pair.

Group C-28
Christmas & Kurau from Kurau Phantom Memory
I like the story behind this pair more then the other.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group C is now closed.

Exact results will momentarily be posted here, but the short version is that, for the second group in a row, all four R3 duels were big blow-outs; the weakest winner still took 73% of the votes, and we saw the tournament's first clean sweep in C-28.

Somehow I don't think we'll see that happen again in Group D. It should be posted in a few minutes.

Last edited by Key on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Awww, Round 3, Group D was closed before voting...

I demand a recount! Wink
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group D is now closed.

All the ties last time left this bracket very messy. (Asterisks indicate the ones in the trios that tied last round.) Let's do our best to clean it up.

NOTICE: And don't forget that the rounds are now ending at midnight EST Wednesday (11 p.m. forum time Tuesdays) for those inclined to vote at the last minute - yes, I'm looking at you, JesuOtaku! Wink At least those late votes might actually count in this group. . .

Group D-25

Aoi Sakuraba & Kaoru Hanabishi from Ai Yori Aoshi [Video Clip]
vs.
Roy Mustang & Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist [Video Clip]

Winner: Aoi & Kaoru
Total: 22-4

Group D-26
Nana “Hachiko” Komatsu & Nana Ozaki from Nana [Video Clip]
vs.
*Shana & Yuji Sakai from Shakugan no Shana [Video Clip]
vs.
*San & Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke [Video Clip]

Winner: The two Nanas
Total: 20-3-3

Group D-27

*Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon [Video Clip]
vs.
*Rihoko “Rico” & Masane Amaha from Witchblade [Video Clip]
vs.
Kaoru Kamiya & Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin [Video Clip]

Winner: Kaoru & Kenshin
Total: 5-4-17

Group D-28

Ginji Amano & Ban Mido from GetBackers [Video Clip]
vs.
*Yukino Miyazawa & Souichiro Arima from His & Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) [Video Clip]
vs.
*Kyon & Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya [Video Clip]

Winner: Yukino & Souichiro
Total: 5-13-8

Last edited by Key on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I updated all brackets and the Mini-game scores: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Enjoy!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25

vs.

I'm going to go with the romantic couple in this group - Aoi & Kaoru

Group D-26
vs.
vs.

Tough one. But I'm going to go with San & Ashitaka

Group D-27

vs.
vs.

No question here. I'm sure all of you know how I'm going to vote here: Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask.

Group D-28

vs.
*Yukino Miyazawa & Souichiro Arima from His & Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) [Video Clip]
vs.

Urg...another one with 3 choices...meh...Ban & Ginji
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Now that I've taken care of the business side of things, guess I'll go ahead and vote. . .

Group D-25

vs.

This is the one match-up this group that shouldn't be a contest, but I think it'll end up being one anyway. For those inclined to vote against the AYA duo just because they dislike Aoi and what she seems to stand for, let me ask you two questions:
1) Does your dislike for the individual character actually diminish how tight and loving they are as a duo?
2) As interesting and popular as Roy and Maes are, are they really strongly-established enough as a duo to merit advancing to the 4th round?

Yeah, Roy and Maes are certainly friends who interact well with each other, and one has definitely pledged to do everything possible to help the other one succeed, but how much do they actually interact with each other? Are they truly inseparable, like Aoi and Kaoru are? Did those two make their series the smash hit that it was primarily because of how strong and committed they were as a couple (and how right they look together), like Aoi and Kaoru did?

Really, there's only one correct choice here, and it's Aoi and Kaoru. If you don't believe me, then watch the first 3-1/2 episodes of Ai Yori Aoshi and then try to deny to me that they aren't one of anime's strongest couples.

Group D-26
vs.
vs.

Actually this one should be fairly clear-cut, too. Shana/Yuji and San/Ashitaka are both respectable but not especially strong duos who advanced only because they had the good fortune to run into a duo no stronger than themselves last round; certainly neither is deserving of making it to the fourth round. The two Nanas, OTOH, are a strong friendship duo, with a tight-knit relationship well worthy of advancing again.

Group D-27

vs.
vs.

This is where it gets truly ugly, because all three of these duos are strong enough to merit fourth round appearances but only one is going to make it. My suspicion is that the Witchblade duo is going to come out on the shortest end here because both other extremely well-established series have camps of passionate supporters, but I'm still voting for Masane and Rihoko anyway. The provided clip, taken from the latter part of episode 1, shows an excellent example of why they deserve to advance. Their struggle to stay together, the way they later look out for each other, the familial love that is plain anytime you see them together, the way literally everything Masane does in the series is motivated in some way by her daughter, and the powerhouse scenes between the two of them late in the series all speak strongly enough in their favor to warrant considering them even over an iconic romantic duo like Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask or the strong relationship Kaoru and Kenshin form.

Group D-28

vs.
vs.

Another mess, but a slightly simpler one since Ginji and Ban can, I think, be immediately eliminated from serious contention; the few votes they drain off will probably determine the winner between the other two, however. Between the Kare Kano and MoHS duos, I think they come out about even on the strength of their merits. One is one of the best examples of the natural-feeling development of a teenage romance; the other is a fun-to-watch duo full of implied mutual feelings who power their series with their interactions and antics. This time I will give the slight advantage to Yukino and Arima, but I won't be disappointed if Kyon and Haruhi pull off a victory here.
guet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Group D-25

vs.

Voting for: Aoi Sakuraba & Kaoru Hanabishi

Reason: The video clip was enough to persuade me. I like Maes/Roy, but they needed more screentime to be serious competetors at this point.

Group D-26
vs.
vs.

Voting for: San & Ashitaka

Reason: I beleive Key that the "Nana's" are strong, but the clip shown was not enough to persuade me. If others have strong arguments as well, and it looks like the match will be close, I may come back and change my vote.

Group D-27

vs.
vs.

Voting for: Kaoru Kamiya & Kenshin Himura.

Reason: In my opinion this is the strongest pair in the bracket. This is also the toughest competition they could face. I have seen at least some of all three shows, and I can see the votes going three ways on this one. Kenshin and Kaoru have a relationship that works well no matter how you look at it.

Group D-28

vs.
vs.

Voting for:Kyon & Haruhi Suzumiya

Reason: I think I actually voted against Kyon and Hauruhi last round, but the clip made me remember what is so good about these two. Just because there wasn't as much development between the two as some of the other pairs, it does not mean they don't function very well together. This is one of the most entertaining pairs to watch, and that is reason enough for me to vote for them this time around.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Round 3 Group D is now open!

All the ties last time left this bracket very messy. (Asterisks indicate the ones in the trios that tied last round.) Let's do our best to clean it up.

NOTICE: And don't forget that the rounds are now ending at midnight EST Wednesday (11 p.m. forum time Tuesdays) for those inclined to vote at the last minute - yes, I'm looking at you, JesuOtaku! Wink At least those late votes might actually count in this group. . .

Oh, I got to vote last round! Very Happy I was simply making fun of your typo. Group D is now closed (before voting started...and now it's open!)

I'll vote after I watch all the clips.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Group D-25: Aoi Sakuraba and Kaoru Hanabishi (Ai Yori Aoshi)
Reason: As funny as it was for me to see Maes annoy the daylights out of Roy in FMA, the touching relationship between Aoi and Kaoru stood out for me more.

Group D-26: Hachi and Nana O. (Nana)
Reason: San and Ashitaka never really clicked for me as a true pairing. Shana and Yuji are a run-of-the-mill nice guy/ tsundere gal pairing. The Nanas have a strong friendship which has a huge influence on both of their lives as they press forward with their hardships, which is why I think their pairing is the strongest.

Group D-27: Kaoru Kamiya and Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Reason: It was a close race between these two and Usagi/ Mamoru for this decision. Rico and Masane's pairing seemed kind of unbelievable for me considering how irresponsible Rico was and Masane having to do everything for her 'mother.' Usagi/ Mamoru and Kaoru/ Kenshin are both classic anime pairings who have all their funny, dramatic, and touching moments. But, Kaoru/ Kenshin clicked more for me because of the depth and believability of their slowly developing relationship and the dangers both faced from Kenshin's rivals and enemies.

Group D-28: Yukino Miyazawa and Soichiro Arima (Kare Kano)
Reason: Being my all-time favorite anime pairing, I'm obligated to voting for them. I've never seen Getbackers so I can't comment on that pairing and Haruhi/ Kyon doesn't seem to click for me thanks to Haruhi's narcissism and Kyon's utter annoyance of Haruhi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
And we have our first shut-out of the tournament.

Group D-25
Aoi Sakuraba and Kaoru Hanabishi from Ai Yori Aoshi vs.
Roy Mustang and Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist vs.
Voting for: Aoi & Kaoru
Reason: Again, romantic over best buds.
Possibility for change: Slim

Group D-26
Nana Komatsu and Nana Ozaki from Nana vs.
Yuuji Sakai and Shana from Shakugan no Shana vs.
San & Ashitake from Princess Mononoke

Voting for: Nana & Nana
Reason: I found Shana and Yuuji's relationship tedious and annoying. The unethusiastic matchup against San and Ashitake indicates they're no better. Nana and Nana, however, leave a definite positive impression.
Possibility for change: No

Group D-27
Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon vs.
Masane and Rihoko from Witchblade vs.
Kenshin and Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin
Voting for: Kenshin & Kaoru
Reason: I'm not really sure.
Possibility for change: Yes

Group D-28
Ban Midou and Ginji Amano from Getbackers vs.
Souichi Arima and Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano vs.
Kyon and Haruhi from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Voting for: Souichi & Yukino
Reason: The romantic aspect of a relationship is the one to which I give the most weight. That, combined with Souichiro and Yukino drawing each other out of their shells make them my choice here. I'm not voting for Kyon and Haruhi because they spend most of the series acting like they hate each other. I might be swayed to support Ban & Ginji due to their complete devotion to each other, willingness to risk life and limb, and vague empathic connection they share.
Possibility for change: Slim
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 80