• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
I'm a little confused with the time and stuff, so forgive me if this is too late and just ignore it Smile

Group D-17

Aoi Sakuraba & Kaoru Hanabishi from Ai Yori Aoshi
vs.
William Jones & Emma from Victorian Romance Emma

Since I have seen neither anime, I will vote for Jones and Emma because I feel more like watching that series ^^

Group D-18

Roy Mustang & Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Misuzu Kamio & Yukito Kunisaki from Air

I don't like Air a lot after the first episode, so my vote goes to Mustang and Hughes. Their relationship is absolutely convincing as a long, enduring friendship, and both remain likable, even though their methods, the things they have done, may be harsh.

Group D-19

Yusuke Urameshi & Keiko Yukimura from Yu Yu Hakusho
vs.
Nana “Hachiko” Komatsu & Nana Ozaki from Nana

Same as with Emma, only this time with Nana

Group D-20

Shana & Yuji Sakai from Shakugan no Shana
vs.
San & Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke

No-brainer, Ashitaka and San win this completely - I mean, what exactly is the relationship between Yuji and Shana? I didn't like the series a lot, and the failed attempts at relating the characters were totally ridiciulous.

Group D-21

Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon
vs.
Rihoko “Rico” & Masane Amaha from Witchblade

Tuxedo Mask...mhm...nice childhood memories Smile Having watched it in the horrible German dub didn't hurt a lot, so go Sailor Moon!

Group D-22

Yomiko Readman & Nancy Makuhari from Read or Die
vs.
Kaoru Kamiya & Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin

Due to (still!) not having seen Kenshin, my vote goes to Yomiko and Nancy - the German dub managed to make both characters really, really likable Smile

Group D-23

Ginji Amano & Ban Mido from GetBackers
vs.
Jose & Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl

Even though Jose and Henrietta don't have a normal relationship, it remains believable and is ultimately nearly heartbreaking.

Group D-24

Yukino Miyazawa & Souichiro Arima from His & Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)
vs.
Kyon & Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

This is a hard one - the weirdness of Haruhi and the sarcasm of Kyon against the sweet, sometimes difficult relationship of Yukino and Souichiro. In the end, Kyon and Haruhi's relationship still seems distant, with both not having a real "bond" - or at least, no credible one. The bond in Kare Kano is obvious from the first episode onwards and remains believable. Go for Arima and Miyazawa!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
If there's still time to get it in before the round closes, I offer to change my Haruhi/Kyon vote in D-24 to Arima/Yukino in exchange for a change of Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask to Masane/Rihoko in D-21, which should, by my count, make both even. Despite my arguments about D-24, I feel so much more strongly about Masane/Rihoko that I'm willing to cut a deal at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If there's still time to get it in before the round closes, I offer to change my Haruhi/Kyon vote in D-24 to Arima/Yukino in exchange for a change of Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask to Masane/Rihoko in D-21, which should, by my count, make both even. Despite my arguments about D-24, I feel so much more strongly about Masane/Rihoko that I'm willing to cut a deal at this point.

Remember you have to change your original vote post to make it official.

sorry everyone bout last night. frentymon was missing and I still haven't seen him around this morning.

In the interest of keeping everything moving along, if he still hasn't updated by this afternoon, I will end the round and post the next one. So you still have to time to change votes/vote, but there is no set time of when it will end, it could end at any time today.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I will join Key and be willing to change a vote and will extend it to apply to any duos minus Ban/Ginji and Aoi/Kaoru. Masane and Rihoko deserve to win this round hands down and Id be willing to change a vote to see this happen. So be it changing my Haruhi
(which along with Key's would put Kare Kano in the lead. How about folks? Anyone wanna take advantage of our offers?
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'll take you up on that. I'm changing my vote from Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask to Masane/Rihoko in exchange for Key supporting Yukino and Souichiro
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Key wrote:

I'll take you up on that. I'm changing my vote from Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask to Masane/Rihoko in exchange for Key supporting Yukino and Souichiro

I have reciprocated on this in my original vote post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else want to join Murph? My vote would put them in the lead if I switch. I already asked my friend and they said it was alright since in the next bracket coming up there's a couple they want to win more anyway. So I have no reservations about switching my vote but the clock is ticking.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Well i think i can say i've seen it all.
I thought the goal of this little game was to vote for best duos, and based on arguments and/or counter arguments to choose the best one you think should win out of a given pair.

Didn't know the game was gonna turn into a "who can have more under-the-table-deals wins the match" game. Not that anyone cares im sure, but i think it's pretty pathetic.

Well, suffice to say this will be my last post. Enjoy your game, if you can even call it that anymore.
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed! Check here for results.

I'll post the next round soon. Mini-game update later tonight.
ccdx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group A is now closed.

Video clips have finally arrived! I've decided to switch from .mov quicktime format to a much most compatible format for everyone, flash.

If you are able to view videos on youtube, then you should easily be able to watch these. Just a quick note: some of the clips are quite large in file size and are up to 5 minutes long. I just couldn't bring myself to make a 1 minute clip of an example of good duoness. It just doesn't work. Good duo clips need more context. Anyway, enjoy.

Group A-25

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato
Score: 14-3

Group A-26

Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Rosette Christopher & Chrono
Score: 12-5

Group A-27

Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada
Score: 10-7

Group A-28

Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Shuji & Chise from Saikano [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Jinto Lin & Lafiel
Score: 11-4-2

Last edited by ccdx on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Group A-25

vs.

I really, really need to watch more anime...but that would require me to be a multi-millionaire. Putting that aside, I'm going to go with Belldandy & Keiichi mainly because a spoiler[a girl and her motorcycle] just doesn't do it for me.

Group A-26

vs.

Rosette & Chrono. A great couple would do anything for each other.

Group A-27

vs.

I have changed my vote to Yomi & Tomo due to velocet's argument for them.

Group A-28

vs.
vs.

3 to chose from...and I'm going to go with Jinto & Lafiel. I think that I'm going to have to get that anime now!

Thanks for the video clips, ccdx. Those helped immensely.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Group A-25
Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: All the reasons have been stated before. In short they simply support each other without question. Both grow as individuals and as a couple as time progresses. They help each other through thick and thin and love each other without fail. Kei supports her because of her kindness to her friends and family and Bell sees an inner strength inside of Keiichi. They are one of the strongest duos in anime IMO.

Group A-26
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
Reason:I simply think Rosette and Chrono are the stronger duo here. Despite being a demon himself Rosette only sees Chrono as her friend and partner and he is willing to sacrifice himself for her.

Group A-27
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
Reason: Tomo & Yomi may be cute and fun but honestly they should not have made it this far. They don't compare to Takumi and Ayumi on any level really and should not move on any further.

Group A-28
Shuji & Chise from Saikano
Reason: I hate this match up. This suck major bawls. Both Shuji/Chise and Jinto/Lafiel should move on. I don't know who to vote for right now. I mean both are equally deserving IMO. One is a true romantic couple while the other is one of the best examples of true friends. Both shows are made as wonderful as they are by these pairs. Arrgghhh. I suppose I'll give my vote to Chise/Shuji given their fate and that it's more tear jerking. My vote could be swayed back and forth here though heh.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Well i think i can say i've seen it all.
I thought the goal of this little game was to vote for best duos, and based on arguments and/or counter arguments to choose the best one you think should win out of a given pair.

Didn't know the game was gonna turn into a "who can have more under-the-table-deals wins the match" game. Not that anyone cares im sure, but i think it's pretty pathetic.

Oh, come on. It's not like this was the first time this has been done in this (or previous) tournaments, and there was hardly anything "under-the-table" about what I did or psycho 101 was trying to do; I thought we made it quite clear what we were doing. Wink

Seriously, though, all that really happened is that I encouraged someone else to change their vote in favor of a duo that really deserved to advance and changed my vote on a match-up that I said from the beginning I was ambivalent about. Why should it matter that a deal was involved? And the result? Ban & Genji will have even less of a chance in group D-28 (will they even get votes?) and it sets up a choice in D-27 just as horrible to split apart as the one in A-28 is going to be. Who's going to lose more votes from Ruroni Kenshin duo being thrown into the mix: Sailor Moon/TM or Masane/Riko? Or will they beat both? It will certainly be interesting to watch!

Anyway, onto the current round:

Group A-25

vs.

Kino and Hermes had a good run, but they are far, far out of their league here. Belldandy and Keiichi are, in every way, a superior duo.

Group A-26

vs.

The ardent arguments in favor of Renji and Chihiro make this one a potentially interesting match-up, but Rosette and Christopher are, by far, the strongest competition they've yet faced. They are from a series widely-known to current audiences, have an unquestionably tight and mutually dependent relationship the whole series, and have a nearly unbeatable final scene together. This one won't be the blow-out that the Chrono Crusade duo's previous match-ups were, but I can't see the ef duo pulling this one off. (And besides, Chihiro's blatant moeness vaguely irritates me.)

Group A-27

vs.

I've been trying to vote out this AD duo since the tournament started (since I don't consider them a duo at all) so I'm sure as hell not going to start voting for them here. Strong or not, Takumi and Ayumi get my vote.

Group A-28

vs.
vs.

Ugh, the Pick From Hell part 2. Any of these duos could advance to the fourth round without seeming out of place, and well-representative clips were chosen for all three. I favored Horo and Lawrence over Shuji and Chise last round, so the Saikano duo is out of consideration first. That pits my new favorite duo vs. one of my long-established favorite duos. I really hate to choose between them, but I think I have to give Jinto and Lafiel the very slight edge here. As the clip shows, Jinto is the only person who gets to call her just "Lafiel," which alone speaks to the special nature of their relationship - and it only grows from here.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Group A-25

vs.

Kino and Hermes
The reason didn't changed since previous round I don't like Belldandy

Group A-26

vs.

Rosette Christopher&Chrono
I wanted to watch ef, really but this girl has so awfully sweet voice that I am afraid I die from diabetes before I end it.

Group A-27

vs.

Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara
These two had a healthier relationship

Group A-28

vs.
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars [ Video Clip ][/quote]

Horo&Craft Lawrence
I have seen some Saikano and they aren't stronger than Horo&Lawrence IMO I'm unfamiliar with Crest of the Stars so Horo&Lawrence get my vote.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:

FWIW, I kind of agree with you. I didn't participate in the last contest, but this vote selling wasn't going on in the one before that and it doesn't sit right with me. It's not worth making it against the rules or anything because that would just drive it to PM and wouldn't stop it. I've already had one person try to convince me to make a behind the scenes deal via PM and I didn't particularly appreciate it.

But like you said, it's unlikely anyone really cares what we think on the matter. And besides, it's an internet anime popularity contest. I don't think it's worth getting too worked up about.

Group A-25

Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey

I don't care if I'm the only one who ends up voting for them, and I certainly don't expect to convince anyone that the AMG pair isn't "in every way a superior duo" Rolling Eyes, but I'll vote for characters with some substance to them over what I consider a couple of pleasant fluff characters any day. I've always seen Belldandy as the otaku's wet dream and not as a particularly believable character. Yeah, the powerful goddess achieves her ultimate dream by playing house with some average Joe? Riiiiight. Maybe I'm too cynical to appreciate the series but it doesn't really work for me.

On the other hand you have a pair that supports each other as they travel through the world, learning as they go, helping each other to deal with all sorts of situations from downright dangerous to just odd. They are certainly not your typical duo, and that uniqueness is part of what I like about them. I love that line about one providing the balance and the other the speed. Kino and Hermes have a true partnership. And although it's not the sole reason I support them, the fact that they come from a vastly more interesting series doesn't hurt.

Group A-26

Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade

I'm still not that enthusiastic about Rosette and Chrono, but each round they seem to end up against competition that just doesn't measure up. I was glad to have a clip from ef to give a little bit more information, but I still think the Chrono Crusade pair is stronger.

Group A-27

***Vote change***

Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh

I haven't changed my opinion about Tomo and Yomi not really being much of a duo, but I knew nothing about H&C when I originally voted and later comments have convinced me to change that vote.

Group A-28

Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

I don't have the strong feelings about the Saikano pair that others seem to have, so this is an easy decision for me. The development of Jinto and Lafiel's relationship is a joy to watch, and unlike some others in the contest its progression makes sense and is actually plausible.

Last edited by ManOfRust on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 80