• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - OveraChivers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I skipped ahead to the moé part because I knoiw my priorities, and I just want to register my opinion that I would totally watch Zac's hypothetical Moé Moé Ice Cream Cone (or was that Moé Moé Ice Cream Kyun, an even cuter name?).

I'd imagine a lot of the promotional art would feature sticky, melted vanilla ice cream on their faces and fingers. Because they work in an ice cream shop, so that would logically be what that substance is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Let me guess: Moe is evil and is killing the anime industry, and Zac hates it.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Let me guess. You're only here to talk about how evil and wrong Zac is for not having exactly the same tastes that you do, and for commenting on a trend that IS in fact causing the anime industry to stagnate.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

More like moe is dumbing down the industry and a lot of people hate it.

WOOHOO! MOVIE TALK! *hugs Zac!*
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I also loved How to Train Your Dragon, which I don't see so much as a "Dreamworks" film as it is a Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois film that just so happens to have been made at Dreamworks and not Disney (where they made Lilo & Stitch, which I still to this day vastly prefer to Spirited Away). Everything in the film was funny for the sake of itself with no real pop-culture references that I noticed other than a couple of vague allusions to Dungeons & Dragons, and I liked how Toothless looked somewhat like a dragon version of Stitch, though with an infusion of Pokémon DNA.

I saw How to Train Your Dragon in 2D by choice and didn't feel like I was missing anything. I don't see in 3D very well in real life and watching 3D on a big screen just gives me a massive headache. I don't have anything against 3D as a viewing option for people that can handle it just so long as I still have the option of watching every film in theatres in 2D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't know this whole podcast kinda depressed me abit with all the doom and gloom.

And when you even try to get OUT of the doom and gloom Chi had a hard time coming up with a positive.

Well another great show regardless.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, no Heat Guy J reference? The streak has been broken!

But seriously, this interview has got to rank up there with the Geneon interview for pound for pound raw info nerdy anime fans love to hear. Hearing about moe-ified Hannah Montana set off the red alert in my brain as soon as I heard it, but couldn't K-on be viewed as a proto-Montana program?

And hearing about US dramas impacting Japanese artists makes me feel optimistic that once the moe boom is over, we might get some solid quality work that could appeal to us and attract fans like it did in the old days.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Moe styled infused with dry gag comedy that's almost impossible to understand to foreigners was the topic of discussion and yet there wasn't a single mention of the top selling anime of 2009 which fit that bill perfectly?

Very interesting cast, the best one in a long time, although I have started zoning out to the doom and gloom forecasts
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Geez, does everything have to turn into an anti-moe rant for Zac? Rolling Eyes You could just hear him leading the topic that way.

The idea that the future of anime is Japanese studios animating American properties and making religious videos is both scary and ridiculous.

Last edited by Ojamajo LimePie on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
mabber36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I skipped ahead to the moé part because I knoiw my priorities, and I just want to register my opinion that I would totally watch Zac's hypothetical Moé Moé Ice Cream Cone (or was that Moé Moé Ice Cream Kyun, an even cuter name?).

I'd imagine a lot of the promotional art would feature sticky, melted vanilla ice cream on their faces and fingers. Because they work in an ice cream shop, so that would logically be what that substance is.

Fund it!!!!

and insulting Burn Notice? really?
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

Let me guess. You're only here to talk about how evil and wrong Zac is for not having exactly the same tastes that you do, and for commenting on a trend that IS in fact causing the anime industry to stagnate.

No, his point was about how predictable Zac's reaction was once the topic went to moe.
Tell me einhorn, was merr incorrect in what he said?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I really like this kid's energy. I hope y'all have him on again. Cool
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes Chi, anime has gone downhill, and it does scare me, but I'll get through it. At least I'm not in denial.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Got halfway through the ANNCast before I had to leave work. Debating if I should hold off until Monday to finish it. I've found my highest productivity comes when I'm listening to ANNCast for some reason. Great episode this week so far; I found it fascinating how convoluted Japanese business is.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Super interesting this week, thanks to Chi for giving us some insight.

hm...Moe Hannah Montana initially frightened me, but then I remembered I'm a Creamy Mami fan, so it didn't seem so weird Anime hyper
I mean, they do the "I'm just an ordinary girl but I'm secretly a super star singer!" plot in magical girl shows aimed at kids all the time (or used to), I don't really see why they'd even need to make it for otaku in the first place. Because I think if the characters were cute enough on their own, otaku would probably be intrigued anyway? I dunno. I probably don't know what I'm talking about

I guess it could work. Its hard to imagine, but I just think if they don't exploit the girls too much and throw in like 3 or 4 likable male characters in it, it wouldn't be so bad.

...have Japanese Public Relations people (or whoever) tried surveying otaku, or even the normal anime consumer, to see how they view moe or what they'd like to see more of? I know their scared that moe's dying, but I don't see how it could hurt to get some other opinions. (or if they have, have Otaku just said "It's fine D: don't change it!"?)

It's kindof frustrating that things aren't working properly just because of a little fear of culture change. I mean I understand the Japanese CEO's point of view, but...I guess that's just how it goes.

and as soon as he said "religious anime" I immediately thought of Super Book too :/ thank you for channeling my "what the-? really? why?" reaction Justin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6