• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Announces Gatchaman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
10 episodes per DVD for $15 a pop? I've never heard of such a deal before. That's certainly the most episodes on one DVD I've ever heard of for a legit R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope ADV has/had enough of a sense of humor to get Casey Kasem. I know Megas XLR did when they did their G-Force parody.

Crotchedy old anime fans, rejoice!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
No, the individual DVDs have 5 episodes on them. The first box will have the first two volumes (meaning ten episodes total) and a bonus disk.

Quote:
Gatchaman: Collector’s Box Vol. 1 ($44.98 SRP) is a three disc DVD-only release containing the first two volumes (The Legend Begins, Meteors and Monsters) with ten complete episodes presented in English 2.0 and Japanese 2.0 with English subtitles along with a bonus DVD jam-packed with extra features and special behind the scenes looks at the series. Volume one and two extras include: clean opening and closing animation, episode commentary, Gatchaman Karaoke, and ADV previews. The bonus extras DVD includes: Ken, the Eagle profile, character sketches: Ken, episode sketches, interviews with the English staff and cast, and audition footage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
No ADV is re-dubing it compleatly. David Williams said so himself on the AoDVD forum.
Erufu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a really good price! But, considering how old the series is, the licensing deal was probably pretty cheap because all the licensing money the original company recieves is pure profit. I would love for older anime to follow in this trend.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
5 eps for $15 of one of the most influental anime's ever, redubbed?

I'm sold. Only way to make it better is to add Alex Ross artwork for the boxes, after seeing the covers he did for the BOTP comics.

Oh wait...

http://www.destroy-all-monsters.com/images/gatchaman.jpg

Very Happy Very Happy
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
I remember watching Battle of the Planets as a kid. Now, I'm looking forward to watching the real series Gatchaman in the original Japanese.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
No ADV is re-dubing it compleatly. David Williams said so himself on the AoDVD forum.

That's awesome. I hope they'll show it on TAN On-demand. They're showing Battle of the Planets right now, so hopefully they will later put on the Gatchaman redub on later.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's a gorgeous cover! Alex Ross is the MAN!!!

So they're releasing Gatchman? Shocked Whoa, KAKKOI!! Very Happy

It's funny because i thought that the other 'Gatchaman' collection was the series. Of course it turns out that it was the OVAs that were done awhile back. I had wanted to request that series for my college library's anime collection. Just to get some older anime titles in. It's a good thing that I found out. Laughing

But it's good that ADVfilms is putting out the original series. So of course they are going to get a new cast, because this is not the 'Battle of the Planets' version or the 'G-Force' version. Personally I liked the 'BOTP' version because,

1) it kept the original music, and 2) because it's the first series I watched back in the late 70's along with 'Speed Racer', 'Space Giants'(Magma Taishi), 'Godzilla', 'Gamera', 'Johnny Socko (Giant Robo)' and some 'Ultraman'.

Hell, this may be worth getting. I'll finally get the chance to see the real show in it's entirety.

Now I wonder if they'll consider releasing 'Gatchaman series 2' and series 3?
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope if this sells well that ADV will Get Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman Fighter

and then Hurricane Polymar, Space Knight Tekkaman, and Jinzo Nigen Casshan!

I love Tatsunoko Superheroes Smile
H-man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
*Sniff!*

I'd never thought I'd live to see the day that the entire uncut series would be released stateside!
Jaina Solo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is the kind of news that makes a person join a forum just to throw in their two cents, so here I am. LoL.

First off, OMFG, the news of Gatchaman being released in its entirety (uncut, subbed and redubbed) in America literally almost made me wet my pants. My jaw certainly dropped as far as it could reach.

This makes me very, very happy! About 10 years ago, Cartoon Network was born. At the time, they had none of their own original cartoons so they aired old 70's and 80's cartoons like Josie and the Pussy Cats and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids. Those were the glory days of CN, in my opinion.

They also aired a show called G-Force at 11:00 pm every weeknight that I became addicted to. At the time, I was ten years old, but by God, I stayed up every night to watch G-Force (and 11 pm is pretty late for a ten year old). I was obsessed with G-Force (yes, I'm a G-Force hogie, BotP was before my time)--it was my first true introduction to the world of Anime. I cried when they cancelled it. I have a diary entry that I wrote when they cancelled G-Force, wailing at the unfairity of G-Force being cancelled. I certainly never forgot about my favorite show of all time.

So now you can see the gravity of this news, at least to me. I've been waiting patiently for this to happen, never getting my hopes too high because I figured getting BotP on DVD would be the best we could get. At first, upon reading that ADV was the one releasing it, I was a little miffed. I'm still angry at how they handled the whole Neon Genesis Evangelion thing, releasing and re-releasing 50 different DVDs and suckering us all into handing over our money. But from what I've read, I'm willing to give them another try, especially for Gatchaman, which I've wanted to see in its entirety for ten long years. Woo-hoo!!!

And that's my two cents. Anime hyper

P.S. Not to mention the bad-a$$iest cover art EVER!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1