• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Surveyed on Anime, Manga, Other Cultural Exports

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
Dragonball and One Piece kicks butt at the stats yet again. Razz
chronium

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
I have a small problem with the article itself. the line:
Quote:
Only 29.0% of the respondents had heard of the term,

The term this percentage of people is referring too is not mentioned until after this line is stated or is it referring to "Cool Japan" that paragraph is just confusing.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
I have a small problem with the article itself. the line:
Quote:
Only 29.0% of the respondents had heard of the term,

The term this percentage of people is referring too is not mentioned until after this line is stated or is it referring to "Cool Japan" that paragraph is just confusing.

Ah, it's referring to the term "Cool Japan," which was mentioned in the sentence before it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Really surprised at all the Yamato fans. I love the series myself, but they do get that it got changed for U.S. sensibilities, right? I also thought there were more female fans of Eva, but I guess only if you count the otaku.
holy_

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Gogo DBZ, Gundam, and Eva Laughing
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
I have been saying for a long time that the Japanese companies need to be more global with their anime, they should already offer the new shows with English subtitles so we can import them, and let the American companies worry about dubbing them, I know a very few amount of shows are released in R2 format with subs, and sometimes with english audio, ghost in the shell has been released on bluray in japan with both the English dub and subtitles, but why not here? and sorry 644.00USD for a 5 bluray disc set for clannad with an English subtitles track, ouch!!! lower that price a little and sell it globally, you might sell more

we all know they will have to lower their price a little if they plan on selling more anime globally, and if they raise the price, it will hurt them more.

and if they want to make it more profitable, then just offer one format with subtitles, I would say since blu-ray in japan is compatible with bluray in America, then subtitle the blu-rays and not the DVDs, not only will anime fans have to upgrade to a newer format, it will make more money for the Japanese companies, let funimation worry about the DVDs and adding an English audio track
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
I love Detective Conan and Lupin III, but sadly, both do not sell well in the states Sad...
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
Woah, Lupin III and Detective Conan are fun series, but they certainly do not represent Japan internationally (especially not anymore).

I was expecting most of the responders to say Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach to everything.

Gundam and Evangelion are cool, but I dunno where Doeraemon came from (internationally that is).

Last edited by Gasero on Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Woah, Lupin III and Detective Conan are fun series, but they certainly do not represent Japan internationally (especially not anymore).

I was expecting most of the responders to say Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach to everything.

Gundam and Evangelion are cool, but I dunno where Doeraemon came from.
It's a classic in Japan(Doraemon). Bleach and Naruto are popular here but they aren't that strong in Japan.

I do think it's sad the responders from the survey think anime is the best medium to represent Japan. I'd rather films and literature to better represent the country, not to mention its storied history and scenery.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
I love Detective Conan and Lupin III, but sadly, both do not sell well in the states Sad...
I agree!

Detective Conan was hampered with a semi-forced name change to start things off. Then funi released the DVDs out of order. The fact that it was shown at the worst possible time on Cartoon Network didn't help, either. As for Lupin III, older anime series don't get too much of a nod from stateside fans.

With anime/manga being a big part of Japan's pop-culture, it's not too surprising that they ranked as highly as they did.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Gasero wrote:

Gundam and Evangelion are cool, but I dunno where Doeraemon came from.
It's a classic in Japan(Doraemon). Bleach and Naruto are popular here but they aren't that strong in Japan.

I do think it's sad the responders from the survey think anime is the best medium to represent Japan. I'd rather films and literature to better represent the country, not to mention its storied history and scenery.

No offense, but most live action films from Japan are really bad. Part of it is the fact they concentrate more on celebrities to sell stuff than actual talent (which shows in the music too...ugg some "artists" don't know how to stay on key...), another part of it is the smaller pool of people to choose actors and such from, and let's not forget budget too. I know there are some "gems" out of all of their films, but they just don't stack up internationally against most other countries. I know I'll get a response from SOMEONE about how "American movies are bad too" but let's face it, most Japanese films are worse than most bad American movies. I know when it comes to actors someone will go "there are bad actors in Hollywood too" and my response to that is, even MOST of the bad actors in Hollywood do better than most Japanese actors.

I agree with animation and manga being their choices, as most places worldwide it is either very childish, superheroes, or humor. Most of the anime and manga stories, even the ones written for children, have more character development and story development and are not tied to the superhero genre to make it sell to adults. With anime, the voice acting tends to have more time and effort put into even the small titles, where as in other countries it's not always the case (however, American voice acting efforts have gotten better over the years and most voice over jobs are done quite well these days, only a few bad titles instead of like in the past only having a few DECENT titles).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I have been saying for a long time that the Japanese companies need to be more global with their anime, they should already offer the new shows with English subtitles so we can import them...

I am not personally concerned by any need for amendments to their own domestic market, if indeed there is any, rather the requirement for greater flexibility when dealing with foreign entities interested in obtaining licences. There exist a handful of countries, of which the United States is a prominent member, for whom the size of the local anime market enables the licence fees for a vast multitude of series to be afforded; said series being of varying degrees of popularity. In comparision, limited fanbases elsewhere only permit the obtaining of titles bearing "universal appeal", often at prices significantly greater than those corresponding to the same releases in R1.

Now, I admit this is a lacklustre attempt to tacitly express my own local dissatisfactions under the faux veil of universality, but I nonetheless consider the following question to be of relevance to the matter under current consideration: Does the current business model for dealing with foreign entities suffice for "Cool Japan"—if considered as a phenomenon designed for commercial gain—to be a concept resonant with a number of non-Japanese consumers large enough to ensure sustainable profits from foreign sales considered holistically?

I assume that, in virtue of the relative size and strength of the R1 market, this may be answered in the affirmative by some. It may be the case that the current model, boosted by sales in key territories such as R1, does not warrant any rethinking on how anime is exported. (Again, I can but apologise for the personal sentiments implicit in the foregoing considerations.)
Still, it remains possible that an increase in the size of profit-making fanbases may be established by i) a reduction of up-front licence fees, ii) the dispelling of the fears of reverse-importation and iii) the introduction of alternative means by which Japanese companies are reimbursed for foreign sales. Whether this corresponds to a plausibility, especially in the eyes of Japanese rights-holders, is something of which one can only remain sceptical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
keikanki

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
ANN needs to upgrade to Office 2010. So shiny... Very Happy

bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
The part where they ask about anime by age group is kind of neat because you can see what each generation clearly grew up with (Gundam, then Dragonball, now One Piece).
roesnail

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Is the Yamoto franchise is bigger than the macross franchise in japan?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2