• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Girlfriend's A Geek GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
This sounds amusing, so thanks for the heads-up! I'm somewhat of a Yen Press fan, so I'll be sure to check this out.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, this hit home hard. Anime hyper I have a close male friend who I confuse endlessly with my BL and yaoi blabber, and he tries his darnedest to understand. Poor thing. Anime hyper

Seeing Yen Press as the publisher was what made me ultimately decide to buy this. The plot itself sounds great (on top of being reminiscent to me), but Yen Press is just an excellent company. Next chance I get, it's mine. Very Happy
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
I've been curious about this for a while. I've seen the pre-orders for this on TRSI, and next time there is a Yen Press sale, I'll have to get it then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, I loved the first volume.
It's pretty damn hilarious. And I feel so sorry for the guy lol.

But I'm sort of iffy with the title change. I still think 'fujoshi' would have fitted better. When people think of geek, they think of videogames, comic books, sci-fi & all that jazz. Not yaoi or BL.

Just saying.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I think they were trying to find a term that casual readers would recognise. If they'd called it "My Girlfriend is a Rotten Woman" or something like that it would sound weird (in fact it would sound like it like "I'm Dating a Horrible Person").

I suppose they could have called it "My Girlfriend likes Guy on Guy" but then it probably sounds a lot bawdier than in actually is.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
"My Girlfriend is a Fangirl", perhaps?
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I adore this manga, being a fujoshi who loves manga about other fujoshi.
I'm looking forward to the release of the light novels as well. Very Happy
Myznomer

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
But I'm sort of iffy with the title change. I still think 'fujoshi' would have fitted better. When people think of geek, they think of videogames, comic books, sci-fi & all that jazz. Not yaoi or BL.

I concur. I think they could have just kept it "Fujoshi Kanojo" and had a blurb on the back to translate it. I think the Japanese name rolls off the tongue better. In addition, formatting "Geek" in digital letters on the cover doesn't help keep things clear.

Translation faux pas aside, this is a great story, and I agree with the review: it's so natural, so real. No ham-fisted comedy or trite misunderstandings. There's genuine, human interaction going on.
IlarSeregil

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
This is so great manga! I adore it! Wink
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quote
Sounds very similar to the now-abandoned Media Blasters manga "Fujoshi Rumi," which made me laugh out loud a LOT. I miss that manga, so I guess I'll try this one out.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
I agree that, to me at least, the meaning of "fujoshi" doesn't really carry over to "geek." I would guess that anyone interested in this premise would know what a fujoshi is and if they don't they may be in for a surprise when the titular girlfriend isn't the kind of "geek" most people associate with the term (sci-fi, comics, etc., like BunnyCupCakes mentioned above). Title nitpicking aside though, the positive review and others' comments in this thread (not to mention Rize Shinba's participation) have convinced me to give this a go so I added it to my Amazon order last night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:

Just saying.

Agreed. I thought this was entirely different based off of the title. I thought this would end up being more comparable to my life, but apparently not so much. Razz

Edit: Though, in all fairness, many US anime fans don't really know the term fujoshi. Heck, I was in Japan last week. Pretty much everywhere that fujoshi stuff was labeled in both English and Japanese, it was called in English something along the lines of "comics for women" or "dojinshi for women" (it was always, of course, shounen-ai/yaoi types of things, therefore, for fujoshi).
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This is now on my list of things to look for at the anime convention this weekend, along with a crapload of CMX titles. Good review, although I kinda wish it had been more about a true girl geek, over a fujoshi (I mean, they even put the title in that calculator font). Still, sounds good enough to try.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
When I was at Borders I read the back and decided to pick it up. I did not find the title too misleading since it did say Fujoshi and to me that is a geek, but than again being a geek my self that could be why. I think the title works because we consider anyone who gets that into works of fiction to be a geek. Does anybody know when vol 2 is coming out? The book didn't give a date and niether does rightstuf.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Does anybody know when vol 2 is coming out? The book didn't give a date and niether does rightstuf.

Yen Press' web page lists a November 2010 release for volume 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2