• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones Makes Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto Robot TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
That's quite a set of talents on display there. Considering that, I'm willing to bet there's going to be more to this series than just "a boy pilots a robot."

Looking forward to it.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, some great names working on the series. Can't help but expect a lot of the anime. Still, I hope the next title from Bones is Darker Than Black 3!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I'm very impressed by how distinct that mecha looks. It looks nothing like the Gundam-inspired mecha I've seen in the various Gundam series, Evangelion, Eureka 7, Code Geass, and the like. Long spindly fingers and a very pronounced long neck? I'd love to know who the mecha designer is for this show. I'm already interested in the show. Can't wait for more info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
Heh. An anime-original BONES anime is never so simple as "A Boy pilots a robot."

Gothicmade, Senki Legacies and now this. Is there some new resurgence of anime-original robot anime? I approve.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'd love to know who the mecha designer is for this show.

According to this update...
Quote:
Update: The domain star-driver.net has been registered by Aniplex.

... I wouldn't be surprised if Aniplex is the company responsible for it (Gurren Lagann, anyone?), and that sphere with a galaxy drawn within is another huge clue. If that's the case, it's gonna be great.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Ok, I may just end up watching this for the music now. I love Satoru Kousaki's music scores.

But that robot resign is kind of interesting to say the least.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I have to say, I'm very impressed by how distinct that mecha looks. It looks nothing like the Gundam-inspired mecha I've seen in the various Gundam series, Evangelion, Eureka 7, Code Geass, and the like. Long spindly fingers and a very pronounced long neck?

I'm surprised to hear you say that. The lanky, elongated eva designs look a whole lot more like this mecha to me than they do any of the Gundams which are far more more heavy set and boxy.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Gundam-inspired [...] Evangelion
Really.
Quote:
Long spindly fingers and a very pronounced long neck? I'd love to know who the mecha designer is for this show.
If the face were longer, it could pass for one of Nagano's Five star Stories/L-Gaim designs.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
Whoah, is that it's neck? That's rather unique. It's a rather elegant design, more alien than robot. I like it.

And here's hoping it turns out better than their most recent "boy with a robot" series. It took nine episodes, but Heroman finally lost its charm for me...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Well, now...we do dig giant robots. Should be orth a watch. Maybe even a simulcast.

garfield15 wrote:
Is there some new resurgence of anime-original robot anime? I approve.

Most mecha anime for a while now has been anime-original, or at least based on old manga that already got a previous adaptation. The genre seems to take more to animation than still images. (Eva doesn't count; it was a spinoff of the in-production anime for promotion.)

I can't find much info on the Mizuya sisters. Apparently, their style resembles Takeshi Obata's.
System7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
It seems that official website is now online.
http://www.star-driver.net

Source : Moonphase
Xenockky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Unique robo design definitely, but yeah, reminds me A LOT of Five Star Story designs... and even the pose is very similar to a poster I have of 5star stories featuring mecha with pilot in hand, long spindly fingers curled around her and elongated neck in full display. In any case, star-studded cast certainly inspire hope that this could be the next great mecha series... hopefully it steers clear of well-worn cliches. 1 thing for sure: with director of Soul Eater at the helm and Bones' studio, gonna be kick-ass battle scenes.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
Even if this ends up sucking, it's always nice to see anime that isn't an adaptation of some preexisting property.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
It's from BONES, so a 95% chance of it being awesome or at least good/great. Definitely will give it a watch.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
So goes this mean that mecha anime is making a comeback?
Bones working on one this is big news. And I just finished watching 'Le Chevalier D'Eon' another production by Bones this past weekend. I may have to keep my eye on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2