• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: Monster Collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Hey!! I bought this years before CMX went under. Where are my brownie points Smile

And yes, I love this series, as well as Culdcept and Suikoden III. It's hard to describe whats so great about them, but you've achieved that. I hope more people pick them up.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorites!! I love Itoh's art - there's a real sense of movement to the action scenes, and the poses feel dynamic. Story-wise it feels more like an illustrated fantasy novel than a game tie-in. I remember reading it, looking over to my shelf, and thinking, "Suck it, Lodoss!" Wink
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
it IS a pretty good manga. I read the scanlations of the first few volumes back before it was licensed just because I heard there was a gryphon in it and was very surprised at how much I actually liked it and how entertaining it actually was. I'd started reading it expecting just to be able to tell some friends who really like gryphons just how often the gryphon showed up, but wound up recommending it to several friends as an entertaining read in general.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I was just recently writing up a blurb for how good this series was, and I was comparing some scanlations I found online with the CMX version. From the scanlations I saw, which weren't ripped from the CMX edition directly, it appears there was no censorship in the early volumes.

Not 100% certain, since it is not the Japanese originals, but I'm fairly confident this was uncensored.

I'll add that the CMX translation is also funnier than what I saw online.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
I was just recently writing up a blurb for how good this series was, and I was comparing some scanlations I found online with the CMX version. From the scanlations I saw, which weren't ripped from the CMX edition directly, it appears there was no censorship in the early volumes.

Not 100% certain, since it is not the Japanese originals, but I'm fairly confident this was uncensored.

Thats good to know. But I find it kinda funny that just last week I discovered this series, thought it looked interesting, and plan to order it soon. And then this weeks 1000 Manga was about it!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:

Thanks for the information! So... my guess that it might have been censored was totally baseless. (What a relief!) Maybe I can go back and edit the article.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I thought I was pretty much finished with getting all the CMX series I had missed buying before the shutdown, but maybe I should add this one to the "to buy" list Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
Y'know I'm going to have to start reading this column more often. I'm happy for this new section covering various titles. Often some mainstream and some often overlooked that deserve mention.
I really enjoyed this segment on 'Monster Collection'. Didn't expect to see it being covered this way except in a way of reviews. Being a collector of import manga from the past years. Monster Collection was one of the first newer import titles of the 2000's that I purchased for myself. The second was 'Chr(o)no Crusade'. The third was 'Sonic Wizard'. I remember being introduced to this title by a friend who picked it up on a whim. As he was a big fan of fantasy, wolves/werewovles and a judge of a good story. And I was a sucker for good and sometimes stylistic art. I immediately fell in love with 'Sei Itoh's design. His name I would learn it, remember it, engrave it into my palms while continuing seek out other works by him. And there are quite a few if you can find them. In the last vol of 'MC', a few characters from his previous works make cameo appearances. His style contains a lot of ancient Asian influence. I'm not talking so much about Japanese or Chinese tapestries, I'm talking about the design found in 'Buddhist' iconography. It's a myriad of Christian, Hindu, Buddhist' characters in design. His attention to detail is incredible as well. But MC is a fun read. After purchasing the rest of the series I was surprised that DC Comic's CMX line decided on bringing it over. Didn't expect it.Though I wish that CMX had kept format similar to the original. His work doesn't deserve to be squashed and printed on cheap paper. I say this because I had recommended the title to our library's collection years ago. Because his work is a good reference for "line" study. And it circulates A LOT. I was happy to see it localized but I was not pleased at the quality at which it was printed. The binding is poor. Over a period of time the cover will rip and fall off due to constant use. That's the only beef I have against CMX's printing of this title. If you're a fan of his works I highly recommend checking out some other titles by him. You'll see what I was talking about. He seems better suited to these types of stories.

-ZANMAKENDEN it's a 2 vol. story originally printed as 4 volumes. Now it's compiled into 2 large formats. It's that big. Lots of 'Sei Itoh' goodness. However due to it's release may be hard to find now. If you can find it used then pick it up.

-RAGOUDEN which is a 2 vol. story. Again hard to find. Used if possible.

-Kouya ni Kemono Doukokusu which is an older series which ran from 89-2000, but has been reprinted in 2004. It's still currently available. Most of what came from there shows up in his later works.

-Dragon Roars This was a fun story that was done while he worked on 'MC'. It was released just in time for the 'Year of the Golden Dragon' in 2000. I thought that it would be ported since 'MC' made it over.

He's still working on various titles. Yamigarishi Kimaira Tenryuu hen (2010) being his current project. In the past he's worked on some mateial for the 'MC' games as well as a few 'Slayers' comics.

I hope to see other titles like this reviewed. Like 'Aoi Ohmori's 'Phantom Wizard' or 'Soul Gadget Radiant'.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Monster Collection sounds really interesting. Perhaps I'll add this to my "To Buy" list as well. A lot of the newer manga out right now doesn't interest me.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
You're not getting a ton of replies, so I thought I might as well say that while I often don't have a lot to comment on with this column, I really, really love reading it! Thanks to some obscure finds in used books stores, I've become more and more interested in older manga. Please don't quit any time soon!
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
ABCBTom wrote:

Thanks for the information! So... my guess that it might have been censored was totally baseless. (What a relief!) Maybe I can go back and edit the article.

I went back and checked because I started second guessing myself. The two women are blown out of the springs due to the force of lizard man's landing. Switch to Cuervo, who hears the noise, and as we cut back to the two women, they're wearing magical towels that they got from somewhere unspecified. Since this occurs in the Japanese version as well, there's only one conclusion: These are living towels that Kasche summoned.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Now this is what I like to see! Monster Collection 160% surpassed my expectations when I bought and read the CMX release, and I'm glad to see Jason cover a title like this.

For thsoe who are wondering what CMX titles are worth getting before they become potentially hard to find, this is definitely one to get!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it circulates A LOT. I was happy to see it localized but I was not pleased at the quality at which it was printed. The binding is poor. Over a period of time the cover will rip and fall off due to constant use. That's the only beef I have against CMX's printing of this title.

It would be weird if a library book with high circulation didn't look like crap, right? Smile
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm another person who just recently acquired this series (like, in the last couple of weeks)! I hope I end up enjoying it as much as I did this column. Smile

One question, though... Jason writes that Monster Collection ran in the more adult-oriented Comic Dragon. Is that still a shounen magazine, or is it seinen?
Elexin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I meant to ask before but never did. Am I just being incredibly blind or is there no 'easy' way to get to all the 'entries' in this series of columns?
It doesn't seem to be listed under any of the 'view' categories (though it is one of the many listed in the colums section, once you go to the individual months) but it really should be. It would be easier to find missed entries, and more people might actually find it and read it if it were more obviously situated Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2