• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Rising Stars

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rio Takeuchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, Rising Stars of Manga Smile I've always wondered what it would be like to have my work published in it.

I guess good luck to the twenty finalist people. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
astra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I voted for haven. its sweet and kinda different from the other offerings. i liked most of them though Smile
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The real funny thing about all of this.. is ... It's not Manga lol just because you call it Manga doesn't make it so.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
The real funny thing about all of this.. is ... It's not Manga lol just because you call it Manga doesn't make it so.

"LOLOL, because it's not made in Japan, it's not manga OMG!!!1!" Manga and anime don't have to be made in Japan to be authentic; they just have to follow the general guidelines of the art form. (Admittedly, it is very hard to discern the line where something stops being official anime.) Korea also does anime and manga (er, manhwa), and some other Asian countries, though the reason it seems like only Japan has authentic manga is because 95% of it comes from that country. I point you to webcomics like Megatokyo as more-or-less authentic manga because of the art and storyline-feel it presents.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
BeyonderZ wrote:

"LOLOL, because it's not made in Japan, it's not manga OMG!!!1!" Manga and anime don't have to be made in Japan to be authentic; they just have to follow the general guidelines of the art form. (Admittedly, it is very hard to discern the line where something stops being official anime.) Korea also does anime and manga (er, manhwa), and some other Asian countries, though the reason it seems like only Japan has authentic manga is because 95% of it comes from that country. I point you to webcomics like Megatokyo as more-or-less authentic manga because of the art and storyline-feel it presents.

Wrong. Manga is, specifically, Japanese comics. Just because it's "manga-styled" doesn't make it manga. Megatokyo is manga-styled-- not a manga, and especially not an "authentic manga." It's not just about art form. Country of origin matters. This is why Korean comics are called manwha and not manga-- to differentiate. Likewise, this is why many people have adopted terms like "Amerimanga" to describe manga-styled comics from the US.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
No. I think the difference in terms (manga, manwha, comics, etc.) are absolutley dumb and should be done away with. Just as the word 'anime' simply means animation in Japanese, 'manga' merely means comics. American, Japanese, whatever, just comics. There's no reason to call it any different, and doing so just creates the fake genre that manga fans dislike. Manga are comics. Comics are a medium, not a genre. We complain about it all the time, yet we are the ones creating the problem by calling it manga, thus making it a genre. Japanese comics don't need to be called anything besides comics - after all, it's what they are! Those special classifications aren't given by their countries of orgin, they're given by Americans. In the end, Megatokyo, X-Men, Demon Diary, RG Veda, they're all just comics. Honestly, why bother making it more confusing than it has to be.

Anywho, I voted for Haven. The others were somewhat close or...just not as good. I really didn't like some of them, and don't know why the heck they even became finalists in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
No. I think the difference in terms (manga, manwha, comics, etc.) are absolutley dumb and should be done away with. Just as the word 'anime' simply means animation in Japanese, 'manga' merely means comics. American, Japanese, whatever, just comics. There's no reason to call it any different, and doing so just creates the fake genre that manga fans dislike. Manga are comics. Comics are a medium, not a genre. We complain about it all the time, yet we are the ones creating the problem by calling it manga, thus making it a genre. Japanese comics don't need to be called anything besides comics - after all, it's what they are! Those special classifications aren't given by their countries of orgin, they're given by Americans. In the end, Megatokyo, X-Men, Demon Diary, RG Veda, they're all just comics. Honestly, why bother making it more confusing than it has to be.

Anywho, I voted for Haven. The others were somewhat close or...just not as good. I really didn't like some of them, and don't know why the heck they even became finalists in the first place.

I totally agree. Only so-called "otaku" would believe anything that is in Japanese has to be Japanese-like. Ever take into consideration that the Japanese don't give a shit about such differences and call American comics "manga" as well? (Mind my rude attitude. I'm always not please with such ignorant behavior by several people who claim they are right.)
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:

I totally agree. Only so-called "otaku" would believe anything that is in Japanese has to be Japanese-like. Ever take into consideration that the Japanese don't give a shit about such differences and call American comics "manga" as well? (Mind my rude attitude. I'm always not please with such ignorant behavior by several people who claim they are right.)

^_^; Don't have a stoke! Haha.

It's partially the industry's fault too, because they're marketing manga as a new thing and a new genre, per say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
midori kou wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Anime smile; Don't have a stoke! Haha.

It's partially the industry's fault too, because they're marketing manga as a new thing and a new genre, per say.

Yeah, I totally understand what you mean. I kinda feel sick every time I see "Tokyopop" on a Korean work. I find the irony out of it that everything is just blended in: Japanese, American and Korean, are all "manga" on their site. ^^;
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

However, when you have a contest called the Rising Stars of MANGA (not the Rising Stars of Comics), then you have to deal with the fact that they ARE acknowledging this rift. When you have publishers printing stuff as "Amerimanga," you have to acknowledge that rift. No one's debating that X-Men and Megatokyo and etc are comics. Just like no debates that the Simpsons and the Lion King and Spirited Away are just cartoons. Because honestly, that's what they are.

But as long as companies are going to differentiate between manga, manwha, Amerimanga, and comics, then it needs to be acknowledged that, in using their terms, Amerimanga =/= manga.
Ztarr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
Though it is true that the Japanese use 'manga' to discribe all comics, over here it is use to discribe a certain genre; one which influenced by the style of japanese comics. In this genre are different sub-styles ans sub-genres, however, they all folllow a certain criteria.

I found that a lot of the Rising Star entries did not follow the manga category very well. There is more to manga than just big sparkly eyes and lots of speed lines. (example: Many of the entries have a lot of naration from the main character, this is rarely done in manga. Manga uses much much more imagery and less text than American-styled comics).

I was also surprised at the poor quality of the illustrations of the entries. Most of them (though not all) had characters with very poor proportions and incorrect anatomy. It is still very important, even when drawing cartoons or manga, that the characters still look believable (even cartoons characters like Bugs Bunny have internal bone structure and correct proportions).

I find it disappointing that out or all the entries in America that these were the best.

btw I hate the tern Amerimanga, but that's prolly 'cause I'm Canadian. It would be ok to call these entries Amerimanga, 'cause only Americans are allowed to enter the competition.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
I found that a lot of the Rising Star entries did not follow the manga category very well. There is more to manga than just big sparkly eyes and lots of speed lines. (example: Many of the entries have a lot of naration from the main character, this is rarely done in manga. Manga uses much much more imagery and less text than American-styled comics).

Technically speaking that's not true. If you look at DC Comics' Vertigo line, most of their works could be accepted as "manga" if you want to key that term as comics with mature and strong imagery. The fact is that even Japan has "manga with no plot, no character development and no structure than mere entertainment as you could relate to most of today's cartoons of being "not well-structed".

The fact is, in the "anime/manga" world here in North America, it's like we can't use English anymore for almost everything because it's forbidden. "Otaku" don't like people fooling around with Japanese words or terms because they think if they understand Japanese more, it'll make them a better "otaku". Personally, if you KNOW Japanese culture, understanding English is a lot cooler than knowing Japanese since you can communicate to so many more people out there IN English than Japanese. So What's my point? Why are we so gung-ho about grasping just mere words from a language when we are still unable to understand the culture, the people and the history of them? Why is it so hard for us to use our own language for things that we DO have words for? Why do we describe things that exist in Asia like hurricanes as "tai fuu" or typhoons and comics as "manga" when they are the same thing? Personally, I think it's in a way discrimination and segregating it is the only way people here can accept it. Is that really necessary?
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
Though it is true that the Japanese use 'manga' to discribe all comics

Not quite. They usually call both foreign and Japanese comics "comics" (that is, "komikkusu"). (Which doesn't mean they don't recognize the differences between manga and foreign comics... I guess it's just easier this way.)

Ztarr wrote:
There is more to manga than just big sparkly eyes and lots of speed lines.

Agreed. It always annoys me when people assume that "manga" is a drawing style that has to have certain elements such as big eyes, speed lines, unrealistic hair, skimpy clothes on women, etc. There are many manga that do not have big, sparkly eyes, speed lines, etc - it's not rare that the only thing two manga have in common is that they're created and published in Japan. "Manga" is not a drawing style, it's just a collective name for comics made in Japan.

midori kou wrote:
If you look at DC Comics' Vertigo line, most of their works could be accepted as "manga" if you want to key that term as comics with mature and strong imagery.

I don't know... I've read many comics (American, European, etc) but I've never seen any that could be called "manga," regardless of themes and imagery. I agree that manga isn't more "special" than other comics, but I think there's definitely a difference between Western comics (even if they're influenced by manga) and Japanese ones, and it's not just an "otaku" thing that one wants to differentiate and say "Japanese comics" not simply "comics." (The same way one likes to call, say, French comics "French comics.") And since we can say that "manga" and "Japanese comics" are synonymous... why does it matter which expression people use?

Last edited by mufurc on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Manga doesn't mean "Mature Comics," look at Doraemon.

Nor does it refer to a single particular art style, many manga have different art styles.

When used in Japanese, manga means "comics," this includes all comics, american, japanese, european and so forth.

When used in English, the term "manga" just means "Japanese Comics." These can be really good comics, really bad comics, really mature comics, really immature comics, as long as they're japanese, they're manga.

This isn't to say that being "manga" makes them any more, or less good than something that isn't manga.

I find the number of people that came to the deffence of american comics, after Sakechan's comments, rather amusing. Given that she never said American comics were inferior. She merely said that they weren't manga... which means, "they aren't Japanese." This should be rather obvious, so why argue about it?

Quote:
Though it is true that the Japanese use 'manga' to discribe all comics, over here it is use to discribe a certain genre; one which influenced by the style of japanese comics. In this genre are different sub-styles ans sub-genres, however, they all folllow a certain criteria.

Bollocks. Define this "genre" for me and I can point out dozens of Japanese manga that don't fit into it. While you're at it, look up what "fictional genre" means. "Science Fiction" is a genre. Comics are a medium, manga is a sub-medium.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Why do we describe things that exist in Asia like hurricanes as "tai fuu" or typhoons and comics

Bad example.

Please understand, I'm not pointing this out the be nitpicky or argue semantics. There's actually a point I get to later on...

A typhoon is a tropical cyclone originating in the west pacific or indian ocean.

A hurricane is a tropical cyclone originating in the equatorial Atlantic or the equatorial east Pacific.

If the exact same storm were to somehow originate from the middle of the American continent, it would be neither a hurricane, nor a typhoon (what it would be, is really scary, since it shouldn't be possible).

Typhoon is not the Japanese word for Hurricane (For that matter, "Typhoon" is descended from a Greek/Arabic (the Arabs got it from the Greeks and the English got it from the Arabs) term and a completely seperate but similar sounding Chinese term).

They are both terms for Tropical cyclones originating in different parts of the world. Yes, they are both essentially the same thing, but to assume that the word you use locally is the "all encompassing word" was the result of a certain lack of knowledge (also called naïveness).

Of course, its relatively reasonable for a westerner to call a typhoon "hurricane", and for an Asian to call a hurricane "typhoon." These are the words they know, even if they aren't meteorologically correct.

The situation is similar when talking about manga, comics and BD. When speaking English, "Comics" is the all encompassing term, like "Cyclone"... or perhaps just "storm." Manga and BD refer to comics that originate from specific locations in the world. Just like a Typhoon can be exactly like a Hurricane, a western comic can be exactly like a manga, but that doesn't make it a manga.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4