• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You Episode IV: A View Hope

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
You cracked me up with just the disclaimer, looking forward to the rest of the show.
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Not to be a nit-picky jerk... but shouldn't it be Listeners like you? They can't exactly view you guys... they're listening sure... but they can't view you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
GMSenpai wrote:
Not to be a nit-picky jerk... but shouldn't it be Listeners like you? They can't exactly view you guys... they're listening sure... but they can't view you.

It's a PBS reference.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, has someone been playing Portal recently?

I've been wondering why do you cut out parts of the show you put on your site and not the one that's posted on Itunes?
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac, Hetalia is MEANT to be offensive. The added offensive jokes might be more enjoyable. There is reason why people enjoy South Park while others don't, it's offensive.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Zac, Hetalia is MEANT to be offensive. The added offensive jokes might be more enjoyable. There is reason why people enjoy South Park while others don't, it's offensive.

Wow you really did not get what I was saying about the dub at all, like at all
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Weeeeell, there's a difference between offensive and mean-spirited.

For instance: Sgt. Frog's dub is mean-spirited...like...VERY MUCH SO. I think that makes it funny, but it occasionally comes across as forced or pandering, too. Sooo, while the Hetalia sub makes the same jokes about the French being cowards and the Japanese being "a little small down there" as the dub does, the dub does it with extremely broad accents, heightened profanity, and self-referential snark. It's just sort of a "spirit" thing between them, I guess.

I was curious about the animosity toward the dub myself, so I checked out the episodes Funi just put up and...I don't mind it, I think they're two tonally different approaches, but essentially the script has made few changes...just compare the two translations, there seriously isn't much difference. So I'm cool with it, but the dub is clearly "trying" to be edgy, so that becomes a huge turn-off to people who sense that and don't care for it.

...I think it's barely funny in both languages so far, but still love the hell out of the show just for the very fact that it exists...also, I'm female, so~ Twisted Evil

SIDE NOTE: Okay, apparently Shiki does not have wolves, in any capacity. Sorry, I only saw one episode. Laughing It was a misleading first episode.

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Hetalia is MEANT to be offensive.
Who would know better what Hetalia is "meant to be" than, I don't know, the original creators, whose scripts were radically altered for this dub? But yeah, sure, Funi knows best what Hetalia was meant to be like. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
3 hours of Haruhi Shocked I can't even imagine having to sit through that...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I passed on a Scott Pilgrim screening last night, and I'm slightly regretting it, but not too much because the theater looked like Janktown, USA and I'd prefer to see it on a good quality screen. Hearing their thoughts on it makes me even more excited. I'm glad they enjoyed it so thoroughly. It definitely seems like something I'll want to see more than once in theaters (which I pretty much never ever do).
Zags

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, my interest in Scott Pilgrim has gone from "Eh, maybe I'll see it" to "Man I really wanna see this" in the last 2 days. Apparently with good reason.

I can't remember, is it gonna be shown in 3D? (Probably yes, most everything is these days)
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
SIDE NOTE: Okay, apparently Shiki does not have wolves, in any capacity. Sorry, I only saw one episode. Laughing It was a misleading first episode.

Wolves would help. I started the season with hopes for Shiki and watching Legend of the Legend about the Heroes that according to Legend are Legendary (spelling?) on a lark, and I dropped Shiki and am following Legend-squared.
mabber36

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
yeah, wolf's rain is the best anime of the decade. it's too smart for most people
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
While I will never, ever watch Scott Pilgrim, in part because I hate anything hipster related and mostly because Michael Cera is a horrible actor and I refuse to watch anything he's in (which usually is hipster crap) it was a bit refreshing to hear you both speak highly of something. This is the first ANNCast I've listened to in awhile because prior to when I stopped listening, it seemed you two were just being negative about everything, or at best one would love something and the other would do their best to be a wet blanket about it. No, I don't expect you to love everything, but it just gets a bit tiresome to hear negativity all the time.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
While I will never, ever watch Scott Pilgrim, in part because I hate anything hipster related and mostly because Michael Cera is a horrible actor and I refuse to watch anything he's in (which usually is hipster crap) it was a bit refreshing to hear you both speak highly of something. This is the first ANNCast I've listened to in awhile because prior to when I stopped listening, it seemed you two were just being negative about everything, or at best one would love something and the other would do their best to be a wet blanket about it. No, I don't expect you to love everything, but it just gets a bit tiresome to hear negativity all the time.

Unintentional comedy 101.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13