• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Generic Blues

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Their are three types of anime that sell well

Shonen, Anime with tits, and anime that is incomprehensible,because their overly complicated. Naturally Evangelion is one of the best selling anime of all times for the last two reasons.

From what I heard Night Raid had a good plot and no tits which is why no one watched it. That and it does take some knowledge of Japanese history as it deals heavily with the intrigue of Japanese nationalist starting the Pacific War.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the convention question should be brought back at a later time simply because it's an interesting topic. It's something that's in the back of every senior con staffer's mind, but it may not be on the mind of your typical Joe or Jane Attendee.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
From what I heard Night Raid had a good plot and no tits which is why no one watched it. That and it does take some knowledge of Japanese history as it deals heavily with the intrigue of Japanese nationalist starting the Pacific War.

And from what I heard, it wound up avoiding any and all controversy related to its premise by being boring as hell after the second episode, spending, for example, an entire episode on our intrepid heroes searching for a lost cat.

No, the smartest series from last season was Tatami Galaxy, and I bet none of you watched it. Mad In spite of there being tits. Lots of them. An entire wall at one point. Interested now? Go watch it!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although I'm pretty sure it already has - I mean it's freakin' Lupin

Let's just say Mamo and Cagliostro weren't originally released by Geneon and Manga. Wink

Quote:
And really, whose sexual proclivities do I have to please in order to get a god damned decent DVD or, god forbid, Blu Ray of Castle of Cagliostro?!? One that isn't either in matted widescreen or has the opening credit animation replaced with still frames on a crappy flipper disc?!? I swear to Christ I would do so many things, so many things, just to have a suitable English version of that movie.

I'm surprised Disney has yet to rescue it, given their love for it in The Great Mouste Detective. Or maybe they're worried about how even a kiddie version of a group of thieves would fly with parents.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
I would certainly appreciate a more available and affordable release of Wings of the Honneamise. It's a really excellent movie and deserves better than it's gotten in North America.

Well, I guess I'll have to hold onto my dub-only VHS copy for a while longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Put it another way; put out something like, say, House of Five Leaves and Kiss X Sis out on DVD the same day, and that'll be a much more telling display of the "popularity" between the bottom-feeding garbage shows and the fully-conceptualized, quality shows.

What, Kiss x Sis got licensed?

Aww... it's just a hypothetical. *shakes fist*

I'd buy Kiss x Sis on DVD or BluRay if it did get licensed. Dunno about House of Five Leaves; I haven't seen a second of that but from the plot description, it doesn't look like it's my bag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

And from what I heard, it wound up avoiding any and all controversy related to its premise by being boring as hell after the second episode, spending, for example, an entire episode on our intrepid heroes searching for a lost cat.

No, the smartest series from last season was Tatami Galaxy, and I bet none of you watched it. Mad In spite of there being tits. Lots of them. An entire wall at one point. Interested now? Go watch it!

Japan has long stated that the Chinese blew up the railroad that started this mess, while in this series it was show that the Japanese blew it up to give an excuse for Japan to occupy Manchuria.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

No, the smartest series from last season was Tatami Galaxy, and I bet none of you watched it.

I watched it. Like hell I was going to skip on a Masaaki Yuasa-directed Noitamina anime. I also watched Kiss x Sis, and *brace for shock* I liked them BOTH. Yes, it's totally possible.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
No, the smartest series from last season was Tatami Galaxy, and I bet none of you watched it.

Not me. I totally watched it and loved it. Whenever I hear somebody who didn't watch it or didn't get past the first episode, I'm like "Try again."

By the way, it's Senkou no Night Raid, not Sengoku mister digi-subber. That would imply a different time period.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
No offense Brian, but I think your question for next week is a rerun...I'll answer it anyway. It all depends on what else is on. Heaven knows I managed to suffer through Final Fantasy Unlimited because at the time I watched it, my local library didn't have the anime selection it has now. Hence why I've watched Trigun, R.O.D. the TV and Azumanga Daioh three complete times apiece.

However, sometimes I'm just stubborn and I say "I've made it this far, might as well see how it ends." This is why I forced myself to finish Kiddy Girl And, as well as The Tatami Galaxy (sorry, vashfanatic, despite the fact Noitamina usually puts out awesomeness, I found Tatami obnoxious and almost as repetitive as The Endless Eight. I did like the OP and ED however, and actually have them both on my IPod.)

So to summarize, it depends not on the series' merit itself, but on my boredom and stubbornness.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, the smartest series from last season was Tatami Galaxy, and I bet none of you watched it. Mad

That's a hyperbole if I ever did see one. I certainly watched it and enjoyed every minute of it. In fact, I went back and started watching Kaiba because of Tatami Galaxy.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
why is it that shows that are very obviously horrible based on the first episode are even green light, and then why do licensing companies (stares at Media Blasters, and Funimation), pick up these horrible fluff shows when there are much better shows...

You know it's a slow week when you're basically answering "why aren't MY shows being licensed/those shows that I don't like SUCK" types of dreck.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...Royal Space Force / The Wings of Honneamise, which was made effectively unavailable when Bandai Visual priced itself out of any legitimate market.

I take massive offense at this comment.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Japan has long stated that the Chinese blew up the railroad that started this mess, while in this series it was show that the Japanese blew it up to give an excuse for Japan to occupy Manchuria.

Hi I am the digi-subber that posed the question, first things first it was late when I wrote that question and did not QC it very well plus I always call the show night raid, so yes my bad it is SENOKU no night raid.
Second episode 4 was bad yes (the cat one) But I don't think you could say that the show avoids controversy in episode 7 since they kinda blame japan for the whole mukden incident. I would HIGHLY encourage people who dropped night raid to watch the recap episode (aka 6.5) as well as 6 and up because if you have seen the end of most of the later episode end with a bang specifically 10,11, and 12 anyone who is up to date on the series would have a big problem arguing the show is boring.
I was hoping he would anser my question about how some shows need official subs(or at least it fells like it when 3 out of my 5 translators tell me episode 7 is to hard for them.... thus the reason why episodes 7-10 where released together, and to answer your question yes I am tantei from kindaichi academy workz aka kaw) and instead plotless trash like the blessings of whatever get offical subs. which is what mainly what caused me to write that question.
I am way behind on tatami galaxy, but I am a fan of it and have been watching it on hulu thanks to funi. and we all know that funi only subtitled that show because it was on the noitamina (or however it is spelled block) because it is hard to market to people unlike the horrific masters of martial hearts (apparently). I will check back later to see what everyone else says
as for the whole kara thing I always tell my kara people to blend the kara with the video, because our release should look like they where aired on tv I think.
my 95% comment was refering to the fact that fan s watch fan subs as a way to A) see if they like a series, B) see the newest episode of there favorite show that just came out in japan (example pretty cure) or C) they are bored and broke and are looking for something to do and they are bored with american tv (wonder why????) thus they watch anime since it is free and there friends do it. or D) "Companies can like NEVER do like ANYTHING write like I mean seriously they like need to offer free hd downloads before I will like even like consider watching them"
so people might watch fan subs and not support the official release for many reasons A) they ended up not liking the show that much
B) the official release is worse then the fan subs (digimon adventure 2, my bride is a mermaid (the subtitled version, I love the dub), kaicho wa maid sama, or glass mask) C) they deserve spots on flake of the week (oh the stories I could tell about some people it is amazing how bad people can act online)

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
And dismissing piracy because everybody's made up their mind that "oh well they won't pay for anything at all ever so who cares" is kind of... gross, to me. They won't pay for anything ever, so why give them anything? Why give unapologetic leeches exactly what they want? What benefit is that to anyone?

I completely agree with you. Only the people with low self-esteem do that kind of stuff. Why waste time and resource on leechers who doesn't give a damn about fansubbers' work? I think these subbers are just pathetic people who craves attention by being stupid. Also I could totally tell that fansubbers don't love anime and manga at all. If they truly love anime and manga, they wouldn't bend backward to please spoiled, unappreciating leechers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7