• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Bakemonogatari Anime Drawings Stolen During Exhibit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to figure out how two drawings would be essential to future series (the article made it sound like nothing could happen without these two drawings) and, if they are that important, why they didn't make copies of the drawings before they were put on display.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Character design work, for example.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS TTATT

In all seriousness though, this is really too bad :( It probably wasn't even a fan that stole them either, just some jerk trying to make some money...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a little theater, if you ask me--his quote about the drawings being essential to future production work, that is. Although it would be funny if this all turned out to be a marketing stunt of some kind. Maybe the two drawings will be returned... stapled together.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I'd be angry if I were him as well. Imagine spending a massive amount of time drawing pictures of anime characters that you've spent hours-maybe even years on, just to have some person steal the art and probably try to sell it.

It's easy to say its "no big deal" and how it's probably easy to re draw all the art, but I highly doubt it is. It's also easy to brush this off since it only affects the artist and maybe the company he works for.

But if I was in his/her(?) shoes, I'd be angry as well. I am not going to lie, it's easy to forgive and forget, but that doesn't justify that the art was stolen. It's one thing if someone accidentally moved it or something of that nature, but taking it without permission is on a whole another level.

I am not criticizing anyone, I just know how it feels to lose an object or have someone take an object without your permission and either return it much later or never return it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
That's really pathetic that someone would do that.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
It's easy to say its "no big deal" and how it's probably easy to re draw all the art, but I highly doubt it is. It's also easy to brush this off since it only affects the artist and maybe the company he works for.

To be sure, I agree that this must be pretty awful for the artist(s) concerned. I'm no Picasso or anything, but I put pencil to paper with some frequency, and I'm familiar with how stressful losing work for any reason can be.

My point is--and perhaps I just don't understand how important correction drawings are--the stolen property--as described in the article--seems like it wouldn't be essential to future production. In any case, I hope SHAFT gets those drawings back.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
Good grief some people have no shame. But Ufotable you have security issues here. Didn't they have several Garden of Sinners posters stolen and sold off not long ago?
matrixdude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
This is why we can't have nice things.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
This is why SHAFT's anime are always plagued with delays and unfinished animation. Correction drawings, storyboards and whatnot get stolen. :P
Haachan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

To be sure, I agree that this must be pretty awful for the artist(s) concerned. I'm no Picasso or anything, but I put pencil to paper with some frequency, and I'm familiar with how stressful losing work for any reason can be.

My point is--and perhaps I just don't understand how important correction drawings are--the stolen property--as described in the article--seems like it wouldn't be essential to future production. In any case, I hope SHAFT gets those drawings back.

If I'm not mistaken, it costs money to make those kinds of drawings. Having to pay for the paint and the ink, the shading, etc. So if I made something that I had to pay for that got stolen, I'd make a big stink about it, too.

Geeze, why do a few selfish people have to ruin something for everyone else?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Since this is a CG animated work, at most, the stolen items would be a couple sheets of douga. This requires no paint. At most, there might be some colored pencil shading.

Most of these items will be destroyed after production stops. A lot of animation companies no longer sell their artwork, but destroy it. Saving it costs too much money since space is at such a premium in Japan.

So, yes, it's not nice to steal. But, and this may have been the reasoning for the theft, if all of the artwork is going to be destroyed, stealing it might have been the only way to preserve Bakemonogatari production artwork for future generations.

And if it really is so critical for the studio to have the images for future productions, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to call up Akio Watanabe(character designer for Bakemonogatari) and ask him to draw some stuff. If that man can turn out 10 colored shikishi in 6 hours, I'm sure he can manage to sketch out a pose for whatever character is needed.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
If the artwork was that critical, then why didn't they have a copy of it somewhere in case of theft?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1