• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video player keyboard hotkeys

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm basically just reposting some of my thoughts from a previous talkback thread, but since ANN seems intent on expanding its video library with both simulcasts and older anime, it would be nice if the embedded player accepted keyboard input (which would translate to commands from most IR remotes). As is, the point-and-click interface is really ill-suited for watching afk with a PC/TV setup (which I imagine will grow more common in coming years). My preferred setup would be:

Play/pause: Enter, and maybe Space, as well
Replay (~5 sec): Left arrow
Skip forward (~20 sec): Right arrow
Volume up: Up arrow
Volume down: Down arrow

This would bring the ANN player in line with the Crunchy Roll player which, as much as it pains me to say it, is probably my favorite player to date thanks to the keyboard shortcuts.

(While I'm at it, I could still go for an ad-free subscription option for the back catalog. Oh, and a pony. Razz)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
We definitely heard your request the first time. Something like this will probably be implemented in the next iteration of the player.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear it! Hope no one think I'm being pushy -- I just thought maybe it would be a good idea to post in a new thread in case other users wanted to comment. Embarassed
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Another keyboard shortcut CR has is 'f' for fullscreen (only works for me after I've already fullscreened manually at least once unfortunately... but since fullscreen closes if do anything on my other monitor it can still be handy)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm able to use it in earnest I'm feeling the lack of keyboard shortcuts more, especially spacebar to pause - even just the ability to pause the video by clicking on the window would be an improvement as the pause button is tiny on a on my 24" monitor.
There were a few times in Tiger and Bunny that text flashed past that I wanted to pause and read - on crunchyroll I would just hit the left arrow to skip back then spacebar to pause. Using this player I have to keep my mouse to hand, drag the slider back manually then fumble for the pause button.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1