• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Missions of Love GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cousin issue aside – we've certainly seen worse in manga –

That's really only an issue for American readers, what with cousin marriage being perfectly legal in Japan... and most places in the world... really any place that wasn't sold on inaccurate pseudo-eugenics back in the 1800s. So can we stop acting like they're squicky incest please?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
Cousin issue aside – we've certainly seen worse in manga –

That's really only an issue for American readers, what with cousin marriage being perfectly legal in Japan... and most places in the world... really any place that wasn't sold on inaccurate pseudo-eugenics back in the 1800s. So can we stop acting like they're squicky incest please?

Here in the UK it's legal to marry your first cousin, but it's still looked down on socially. Sort of like a 40 year old being in a relationship with a 16 year old - legal, but looked down on.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shigure is so obviously uncomfortable with Yukina's advances, particularly when she orders him to kiss her.

I have to disagree. While I agree that if the situation had been reversed it would be a problem. I think your discomfort with that is obscuring what is going on. Shigure is a player, both in the traditional sense that he plays with girls feelings and in the sense that life is a game to him. His notebook is where he keeps score. I doubt that having to hold or kiss a pretty girl causes him any discomfort. What is bothering him is that every time he does what Yukina asks, he loses and she wins. He would be just as upset if she asked him to set her up with someone else or any thing else he did not originate.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Quote:
Shigure is so obviously uncomfortable with Yukina's advances, particularly when she orders him to kiss her.

I have to disagree. While I agree that if the situation had been reversed it would be a problem. I think your discomfort with that is obscuring what is going on. Shigure is a player, both in the traditional sense that he plays with girls feelings and in the sense that life is a game to him. His notebook is where he keeps score. I doubt that having to hold or kiss a pretty girl causes him any discomfort. What is bothering him is that every time he does what Yukina asks, he loses and she wins. He would be just as upset if she asked him to set her up with someone else or any thing else he did not originate.

lol slut shaming
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
@ Bob from Accounting

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ Bob from Accounting

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Yes, I believe that a detailed explanation is in order here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1