• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Edo Eights and Heartbreak

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Let's see: Girls Bravo perishable, OER shelf worthy - Yep, as you say, we'd never be friends.

Razz
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
You praised Liam O'Brien's performance of Fukuyama, so I can't be too hard on you for hating one of my absolute favorite ecchi comedies... but then again, you don't really like any ecchi comedies so arguing on this is futile.

I gotta check out OER someday. Everyone likes that, it seems.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd point out that Vash doesn't have dual pistols -- just one.

As for as Vash "trying too hard", he doesn't. In fact, he tries to be a goof and succeeds really well. In later episodes, you'll see him act (and IMO be) cool. (That scene where Wolfwood and Millie are tying to help that young girl and her BF escape, and then Vash shows up... he looks pretty cool, and there are others.)

Not to mention Vash's "Total Slaughter" song is just awesome. Smile
TC-man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess Girls Bravo is only for the male audience (or not?).

Although Erin's review of Girls Bravo S2 is not that negative it still gets the Perishable rating.

I have watched both seasons of Bravo Girls, and I think it should get the Rental Worthy rating because there are quite some likeable characters in it, while the show has that particular good feel of the late 90s/early 2000 romance comedy anime shows. I think people who can't get Japanese jokes/sense of humor should not watch this, and the English dubs are horrible (in my opinion), especially when the English script and English voice-actors are exaggerating things in order to make the show funnier, but it's obviously not. Don't get me wrong I don't hate dubs at all. Some are pretty good, but some (such as the ones in this Girls Bravo) are plain horrible. Overall Girls Bravo is a pretty ordinary show, yet it's an enjoyable ecchi romance comedy, the only thing this show lacks: innovation. If you love Mahoromatic, Steel Angel Kurumi, Love Hina or Tenchi Muyou and don't mind the ecchi stuff, then there's a high chance that you will like both seasons of Girls Bravo. Although for those who want solid plot, movie quality animations, CG and special effects should look else where.

As for this week's shelves, they are pretty good. I see Clannad and Air, xxxHolic, Code Geass both seasons, Lucky Star, Nanoha and many more. Wait, I also see Kanon (2006), my favorite!
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I love you for your great love of OER. <3
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

As for as Vash "trying too hard", he doesn't. In fact, he tries to be a goof and succeeds really well. In later episodes, you'll see him act (and IMO be) cool. (That scene where Wolfwood and Millie are tying to help that young girl and her BF escape, and then Vash shows up... he looks pretty cool, and there are others.)

Yeah, the trying too hard to be cool bit is a kinda confusing.

LOL, thanks for reminding me of Vash's song, now I can't stop smirking remembering him of all people doing that song Laughing

Speaking of Bosch's Vash, I can't wait to see the new movie dubbed...I hope the wait isn't overly too much longer.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I didn't think Vash tried too hard either, I don't know what Erin's talking about. I like Vash because he can be such a goofball, yet he can be serious at times too. I also found him to be quite handsome and he looks great in that red leather coat, totally rock and roll. Did you even get what Erin was trying to say in the review? She mostly talked about how she didn't like Vash, and didn't talk much about the show or why she made it Shelf Worthy (which it is, but I hope it was made Shelf Worthy for a good reason and not just because.) She also only talked about the animation and how it didn't hold up. I got news, Trigun isn't the only cel-made anime before 2000 that looks bad now, ever seen Weiss Kreuz, also known as Knight Hunters? The animation in that anime is quite bad, though I still like it. She didn't even talk about the premise or the story like she did for the other two reviews. Needless to say, I just didn't get the review.

By the way, thanks for reminding me of "Total Slaughter" that is an awesome song.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
This week's title & description is such an awesomely bad pun. Rock on.

I also confused as to your reasoning behind making Trigun shelf-worthy. (Not that I disagree...)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't want to beat up Erin's Trigun review, since she did give it Shelf Worthy. I figured just pointing out a small factual error was enough.

As for its animation looking dated: that's true, but if you watch it for a bit, you stop noticing it so much (I do, anyway). I think Erin said that she rated the show so highly due to its story, which is indeed awesome. In fact, this is one of the few times I think an anime actually totally outdid the manga in regards to story.

Anyway, this is one of the half dozen anime (out of over 160) that I rated as a Masterpiece. Yeah, for me it's just that good. Smile
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you've only gotten into anime in the past five years, you probably couldn't have watched Trigun reruns a million times on Cartoon Network.

I am one of those fellows that has only gotten into anime in the last five years (Fall '07 to be exact), and so I share none of the love for Trigun that so many older fans seem to have. I think the critics of Trigun are quite fair, frankly, the animation is horrible even when compared to contemporaries and the plot really doesn't take off until the last third of the show. And Vash really is much more of a lovable loser than a cool dude, and I didn't really care for that aspect of his character. I'm not saying that the show itself is bad—but it is overrated.

Quote:
I mean, did you know that in Edo Japan it was common to shout the name of the fireworks manufacturer while watching a fireworks display?

The only reason why I know you're supposed to shout 'Tamaya' at fireworks is because of a rather helpful translator's note included in a fansub, wait I mean, because an evil, non-French, pirated media I saw once. The lack of translator notes in anime has always bothered me, your average manga has a page or two devoted to them, it can't be that hard to throw them into a DVD.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Jewish Wolfwood is stuff that legends are made of.

Also....R4 got a CG R2 hardbox release!? URRGH! I fricking hate Bandai even more now.

Seriously, what the hell happened to them? It's like they've given up.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am one of those fellows that has only gotten into anime in the last five years (Fall '07 to be exact), and so I share none of the love for Trigun that so many older fans seem to have. I think the critics of Trigun are quite fair, frankly, the animation is horrible even when compared to contemporaries and the plot really doesn't take off until the last third of the show. And Vash really is much more of a lovable loser than a cool dude, and I didn't really care for that aspect of his character. I'm not saying that the show itself is bad—but it is overrated.

Did you actually see the anime itself? Because if you haven't, how can you say the critics are quite fair? Yes it's true the animation isn't great, you've probably heard no doubt. But so are several anime from that same year. Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight has some of the worst animation, it doesn't hold up today at all, whereas the OVA which came before it is better animated. Weiss Kreuz has some of the lowest quality animation ever made. Not saying those series are bad, I actually like them, but they, along with Trigun, don't have great animation compared to today. Trigun is not the only one. I'm sure there are others I've missed.

You think Trigun is overrated? Not that I'm shooting down your opinion, you can think what you want, but why do you think it is overrated? The only reason why I ask is because today, it's so unknown now that I can't see how it can be considered overrated. While I love this series, Trigun, along with several anime that were popular during the Toonami/Adult Swim Action blocks, are no longer popular. Rurouni Kenshin which also ran during the same time, used to be popular, but it's not anymore, it's so unknown now, it can't be considered overrated either, in fact I believe it's underrated now. I say this because to me, overrated refers to what's happening now. Maybe you and I have different definitions of 'overrated', because to me, overrated means something that is actually awful, but everyone acts like it's the greatest thing ever. Example: Twilight. I know that's not anime, but it's the best example I've got.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The owner of this week's shelf pictures gets bonus points for having the original Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs by Geneon.

I have them, but no movies Sad I wish I had the movies.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

You think Trigun is overrated? Not that I'm shooting down your opinion, you can think what you want, but why do you think it is overrated? The only reason why I ask is because today, it's so unknown now that I can't see how it can be considered overrated. While I love this series, Trigun, along with several anime that were popular during the Toonami/Adult Swim Action blocks, are no longer popular. Rurouni Kenshin which also ran during the same time, used to be popular, but it's not anymore, it's so unknown now, it can't be considered overrated either, in fact I believe it's underrated now. I say this because to me, overrated refers to what's happening now. Maybe you and I have different definitions of 'overrated', because to me, overrated means something that is actually awful, but everyone acts like it's the greatest thing ever. Example: Twilight. I know that's not anime, but it's the best example I've got.

i can't speak for the original poster, but i think its over rated because so many older fans have such reverence for it. "Overrated" in my mind means something that is widely deemed as good or excellent but is actually less so (in my opinion). Don't get me wrong i didn't hate Trigun or think it was terrible, i just felt like it was OK, not particularly great, but definitely not bad.

although i think i may need to re-watch the series again, its been forever since is saw it. Its also recently come to light (thanks to JesuOtaku's in-betweens videos on it) that there may be a lot more subtlety to Trigun that i had previously not given it credit for.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

although i think i may need to re-watch the series again, its been forever since is saw it. Its also recently come to light (thanks to JesuOtaku's in-betweens videos on it) that there may be a lot more subtlety to Trigun that i had previously not given it credit for.

How many times have I heard this? Rolling Eyes

No offense to some people, but half the time I wonder if people are either braindead, don't pay attention, or are just that slow

"FLCL had no plot"

Right because Naota didn't totally narrate and TELL YOU whats going on

Trigun is the same way, if you take everything, and I mean everything at face value like so many "fans" do, they end up not only missing what makes the series great, but resort to calling it overrated because they have no other frame of reference from 1998. Which is a shame, maybe I'm just a more open minded thinking person then some.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5