• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Charged with Recording Audio from Gundam 00 Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite understand what the point of just trying to record the audio is. I understand camming but they manage to get both the audio and video. Maybe he thought they wouldn't notice if it wasn't a video camera.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
lol oh geez
toyNN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I like that its actually legal 8months later...not that any film will be showing in a theater 8months after its open. Its got to be illegal at anytime in the US.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I don't quite understand what the point of just trying to record the audio is. I understand camming but they manage to get both the audio and video. Maybe he thought they wouldn't notice if it wasn't a video camera.

I remember back in the old days before VCRs were common many would record the audio from TV of shows so that they could listen to it and remember the show. Although it was mostly the TV themes that people would record. It's much like the way some people would use movie soundtracks; one would listen to the soundtrack and remember the movie.

Although nowadays one has to wonder if it wasn't being used to patch audio on a bootleg version.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Unless I'm missing something about the overall awesomeness of some recording devices...Would it even be worth it to have the sound? Wouldn't it come out as being a bit mumbled, muffled, distant, and/or scratchy? I suppose he could use software to fix it a bit, but there's only so much you can do. It's a bit different with taping/DVRing TV shows or recording theme songs, because the sound is actually clear. I've heard of people taping movies in the theater, but from the the clips I've seen, they never turn out well. I think people mainly do it for Easter eggs and secret endings.

Not to mention that the film is going to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray soon enough anyway, and if it was just for the soundtrack, well, I'm sure the soundtrack is already available. This leads me to wonder if it did have something to do with bootlegging.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I used to do this as a kid. I remember I did it for Star Trek VI. I have no idea why. Kids have too much free time, I guess.
And yes, it sounded pretty terrible. Nobody would want to download and listen to such a thing; I can't believe they're actually prosecuting him for this.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
NO MORE映画泥棒!!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Those who think this had something to do with bootlegging: If so, it's the worst bootlegging attempt ever. Doubt anyone would want to listen to a blurry cellphone recording of a film. More plausible that he's just telling the truth.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
I just read about this on Kotaku. Well, I hope this send a message to people out there not to record anything from the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I just read about this on Kotaku. Well, I hope this send a message to people out there not to record anything from the movie.

Well yeah, prosecuting people for even harmless things is the best way to terrify everyone, I guess. Excellent.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well yeah, prosecuting people for even harmless things is the best way to terrify everyone, I guess. Excellent.

Well every movie theater has a policy saying that you're not allowed to record any part of the movie at all. even recording 20 seconds of the movie is still punishable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Punishable and harmless -- agreed. The letter of the law and not the spirit, and all that. It is handy for scaring people, though.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well every movie theater has a policy saying that you're not allowed to record any part of the movie at all. even recording 20 seconds of the movie is still punishable.

There's usually a slight difference between company policy and criminal law. Most theaters in the U.S. prohibit bringing in food and drink from off-property, but I'm pretty sure the most the manager can do with offenders is ask them to leave, not have them arrested.

Wonder if the police are arresting people from making calls in the theaters, as well. 'cause, you know, they're potentially retransmitting the content. . . . Rolling Eyes
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yeah except on Kotaku the conversation is full of typical brain dead comments by people who are either pontificating youtube style or who are so self-absorbed that they think the police shouldn't have to do their job by charging a law breaker if they personally think a movie "sucked" or whatever. I can't stress enough how painfully dumb and ignorant the average Kotaku commenter comes across and it's hard not to blame the staff there for helping grow that culture. What a sight that er....site has become.

Here things seem a little more informed, so this is where I'll give my theory.

I think this is a case of Japan trying to stop a video pirate in the making. If the guy is going to movie theaters and recording audio what's to stop him from one day going there and recording the whole damn movie if he feels he can get away with it? Best to give the man some incentive not to continue down that path now while the charges likely carry a lighter sentence. Any confirmation on whether the charges are indeed lighter for audio recording?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Yeah except on Kotaku the conversation is full of typical brain dead comments by people who are either pontificating youtube style or who are so self-absorbed that they think the police shouldn't have to do their job by charging a law breaker if they personally think a movie "sucked" or whatever. I can't stress enough how painfully dumb and ignorant the average Kotaku commenter comes across and it's hard not to blame the staff there for helping grow that culture. What a sight that er....site has become.

Your argument is invalidated because you didn't use the Kotaku Slowpoke image. Please remember that next time you decide to bash Kotaku. It's the law of the internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2