• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Anime's Details Outlined

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
Prequel eh? Would have been nice if it was an actual TV series but I guess movies aren't too bad. Casting seems kind of odd though.
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Official site hammered but the PV is now officially on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1c-T-ox-E
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
Oh I am cool with it being an OVA although I was hoping for a TV series. Yeah I could already guess that it would be prequel,simply by looking at character designs.Trailer was solid,nothing mind blowing.The animation at action scenes looks pretty awesome and music is distinctive and suits the tone pretty well.Maaya Sakamoto as Mokoto Kusanagi is just... weird.I dont know how that will turn out.
Quote:
The year 2027
Her name is Motoko Kusanagi.
Attached to the 501st Army Secret Unit.
Heavily Cyborg

Ego
Memories
Hope for the Future

What is the proof of my existence?
It all begins here.
Oh I can just see gigantic amounts of philosophical bullshit thrown at my face.Yeah this will be good stuff I guess.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
Prequel to what? SAC? Or just general young Mokoto adventures?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
nottimkai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
"Heavily Cyborg" *snerk*

Also, did anyone else get an Akira Vibe towards the end of the trailer?

KUSANEDAAAAAAA!!! TETSUBATOOOOOOOU!!!

Heh.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

If you watch the end of 2nd Gig, you see the Fuchikomas from the GitS Manga. Since they made the effort to tie the SAC Franchise into the manga series, this would be a prequel to SAC. If you are into that sort of thing.

However, I haven't seen any indication that this is in any way related to SAC. Please someone correct me if I am wrong ...

Last edited by nottimkai on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
I stayed up & watched the whole thing, started with niconico for the game demo then switched over to youtube for the Arise presentation, had difficulties with the English translation but it worked when you down-res'd to 240p...

Figured this would probably be a prequel when I first saw the Major's character design (which I'm not 100% sold on - especially since the rest look the way they did before minus Saito & Aramaki's "younger" hair). Won't gripe about much except the OP (I don't like it much), since GitS is my all-time favorite anime property I'm very likely going to end up loving it unless they "episode 12 of Blood C" it... Shocked

I'm a little sad it's only going to be 4 short films, was hoping for another 2 x 26 episode seasons - but I'll take what I can get.
Blaziken_012

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
There's some kind of OP too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJ5yj8roiM
mierin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
I managed to watch the streaming of the presentation awhile ago. But the stream gets kinda stuck sometimes for a few seconds here and there, so I couldn't get some parts of what they talk about.

I was quite surprised when they announced that Maaya will be voicing Motoko. But she did voice the younger Motoko in the first TV series, so I'm fine with it (lol kodomotoko Laughing )
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
Doesn't look as visually appealing as the first movie, but at least they don't seem to be heavily relying on CG... yet.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
What the hell was that opening?

Now this is an opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6f-jbMN5oQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
JEArgumedo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
nottimkai wrote:
"Heavily Cyborg" *snerk*

Also, did anyone else get an Akira Vibe towards the end of the trailer?

KUSANEDAAAAAAA!!! TETSUBATOOOOOOOU!!!

Heh.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

If you watch the end of 2nd Gig, you see the Fuchikomas from the GitS Manga. Since they made the effort to tie the SAC Franchise into the manga series, this would be a prequel to SAC. If you are into that sort of thing.

However, I haven't seen any indication that this is in any way related to SAC. Please someone correct me if I am wrong ...

SAC doesn't tie into the Manga. They're not Fuchikoma's they're Uchikoma's (translator error on Bandai's part), and that might hold up, if Solid State Society never came out, but it did, and they went back to Tachikoma's while the Uchikoma's showed no signs of individuality which the Fuchikoma's had.

But back to Arise, I think this will just be a prequel to Motoko's adventures in general, not tied down by SAC or the movie's universe.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
I tried staying up to watch it...and fell asleep about 50 minutes before it started, and barely woke up in time to catch the opening sequence at the end.

Anyway, OVA format certainly sounds interesting. I thought I'd be broken up if Atsuko Tanaka wasn't the major again, but I'm surprisingly okay with Maaya Sakamoto.

Definitely looks more "action-oriented," which...I guess isn't wasted on me, because it's not like I'm smart enough to fully appreciate other "GitS" works, but the idea that they might "dumb it down" is still kind of disappointing, even if it's mostly in principle.
sonryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't be GitS without Kusanagi jumping off a building Laughing

I love GitS; all versions of it (manga, novel, movie, tv, game etc), so I'm looking forward to this. Not sold on the younger character designs, and it's hard to tell if this is supposed to be a prequel to SAC or just stand alone 'young adventures of'. Hope they don't go overboard with the cg (as it can be distracting).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
nottimkai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
JEArgumedo wrote:

SAC doesn't tie into the Manga. They're not Fuchikoma's they're Uchikoma's (translator error on Bandai's part), and that might hold up, if Solid State Society never came out, but it did, and they went back to Tachikoma's while the Uchikoma's showed no signs of individuality which the Fuchikoma's had.

But back to Arise, I think this will just be a prequel to Motoko's adventures in general, not tied down by SAC or the movie's universe.

Well, glad I actually looked it up before posting. I had a whole long explanation about how the ふ/フ characters can SOUND like U depending on pronunciation, but then I saw that you were right, and the think tanks used at the end of 2nd Gig and SSS use the kana ウ instead. Nice catch.

I'm glad you're right, honestly, because I felt that trying to shoehorn the SAC universe into the Manga Proper was a terrible idea, since the anime uses several plot elements from the manga with a thin coating of paint to try to hide that fact.

Not tied down to any of the established universes? Terrible idea. The character designs looking the way they do, I would call Arise prequel to the Oshii movies. The characters and even the environments have that look about them. But I didn't actually see the press conference and am therefore basing this on nothing.

Poor Borma/Bouma/oh god whoever ... his face gets tinier and tinier with every franchise. His face is completely lost here in that gargantuan baby head of his ... Anime hyper
Pangea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Oh my god is it june soon? fudge no it's not ._.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5