• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most iconic motor vehicles of anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teankun

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Criteria
1. Vehicle must be strongly associated with the anime/manga particularly with the driver/owner
2. Vehicle must be a real life brand/model. We are talking about product placement here. If a devout otaku wants to have one just like it, the most extreme alteration would be a paint job
Here are a few to get things started.

Anime/manga: Gunsmith Cats
Owner: Rally Vincent
Vehicle: Ford Mustang Cobra GT-500
Comment: In the bonus material of the ADV R1 DVD, they show a real-life car that was used for the sound effects

Anime/manga: You’re Under Arrest
Owner: Bokuto Police Department (standard issue)
Vehicle: Honda Today

Driver: Natsumi Tsujimoto
Vehicle: Honda Motocompo

Owner: Natsumi Tsujimoto
Vehicle: Subaru K-2

Anime: City Hunter
Owner: Ryo Saeba
Vehicle: Cooper Mini

Anime: FLCL
Driver: Haruko Haruhara
Vehicle: Vespa SS 180 scooter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but listing is not allowed.

But you can fix the format by simply requiring/putting comments for each choice.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a vehicle person....I don't notice them that much.

But nothing beats Haruko's vespa. Anime hyper

Though I would love to give an honorable mention to THIS GUY

For being an evil overlord alien who owns a pink Volkswagon Beetle.

..............and also failing his driver's test three times. Anime hyper

That is gold, that is.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of one of The List articles. I've always thought Takumi's 86 is pretty awesome, but otherwise I'm not much of a car person.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I nominate the Anglerfish Team's Panzer IV from Girls und Panzer and Shin Kazama's F-8 Crusader from Area 88. They do meet the criteria of being actual vehicles strongly associated with their respective franchises and characters, but forget ownership or affordability.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I can think of Celty's bike from Durarara, I don't really know much about bikes but I think it is based on something. That is unless spoiler[magical spirit horses taking the form of a motorcycle] do not count.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Think I'll nominate the Yukari-Mobile from Azumanga Daioh. A badly beaten up Toyota Corolla that makes Yukari-sensei the bane of driving for passengers or anyone in the path of her reckless driving. Not only did it traumatize Chiyo, but made the normally composed Sakaki get shocked at the experience of being a passenger in the Yukari-mobile. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Lol, GTO, Uchiyamada's Cresta is certainly memorable to me for a couple reasons. First off, he loved that thing more than his own child. He seems to spend all his extra time just sitting in it, loving it. And of course the main reason, the sheer number of times that thing gets destroyed by Onizuka in outlandish methods. It's a running joke clearly, but it actually goes on long enough that you start to feel bad for Uchiyamada when the insurance company can longer buy his explanations of how it got destroyed yet again and are reluctant to replace it. I'm seriously not even sure if we even see Uchiyamada even drive the damn thing ever in the series.

Kaneda's bike from Akira is quite obvious to me. I mean, it's an old classic anime for one, and everyone has got to remember that badass bike, it's just so impossibly cool looking!

All of the space vehicles in Cowboy Bebop are quite memorable, especially Spike's. To us, it's awesome, to him, it's an old junk pile, so I love that about it.

Outlaw Star's title ship is awesome for a few reasons. One, it has its own personality, Gilliam II. It's also an awesome color of red. And it has grappling arms built right in! And it uses them to fight! It also runs with the power of a naked android woman. And it has an awesome crew to operate it too!

Hermes in Kino's Journey is a talking motorrad, that's kinda self explanatory really. It's a talking bike. I feel like if I need to explain this, you need to watch the series.
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Think I'll nominate the Yukari-Mobile from Azumanga Daioh. A badly beaten up Toyota Corolla that makes Yukari-sensei the bane of driving for passengers or anyone in the path of her reckless driving. Not only did it traumatize Chiyo, but made the normally composed Sakaki get shocked at the experience of being a passenger in the Yukari-mobile. Laughing

Darn, took away my choice, and took me ten minutes to think of another one...

Oh, I know: Lupin III's turbo-tricked-out yellow Fiat 500 in The Castle of Cagliostro
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/lupin/faq.html#cars
Quote:
What cars were used in Cagliostro?

According to Atsushi FUKUMOTO, Lupin's car is a Fiat 500. A Fiat 500 was owned by Yasuo OHTSUKA, the head animator of the Lupin series. Miyazaki once wrote an essay about Ohtsuka and his Fiat 500 for Ohtsuka's book Sakuga Asemamire (Tokuma Shoten Animage Bunko, 1982, ISBN 4-19-669504-3).

Clarisse was driving a Citroen 2CV, which was Miyazaki's first car. He once wrote a 7-pages manga about it for a car magazine NAVI ("Kakero 2-bariki, Kaze yori Hayaku", December 1989 issue).

Zenigata's police car is a Nissan Bluebird. The truck Zenigata's men were using was a 1943 Canadian GM Military Pattern. In the car chase scene, the car driven by the MIBs (Men In Black) is a 1940 Humber Super Snipe. (Rupan Sansei Kariosutoro no Shiro, Futabasha Super Mook, Futabasha, 1982, ISBN 4-575-47169-0)

Drive up those cliff-sides in Italian style! Wink
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
You know,I think that both the British and U.S. versions of "Top Gear" should feature something like this. It would be great for anime fans to see it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
While they were only concept cars, Ghost in the Shell SAC feature two cars by Nissan, the Sports Concept and the Kuraza. It's really a shame that the Sports Concept never became more than a concept car, as I think it's a pretty nice looking car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/04/nissan-infiniti-concepts-star-in-new-anime-feature/

Also, while only in the background, Lagrange features the Nissan Juke. It's actually not surprising since designers from Nissan did the robot designs for the series.

Finally, in Macross Frontier, Skull leader Ozma Lee drives a Lancia Delta HF Integrale.

While none of these are really iconic as far as anime goes, I did find their appearances in anime pretty neat.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But nothing beats Haruko's vespa. Anime hyper

Speaking of Vespas... one of the few times Mahoro approved of anything with regards to Shikijou-sensei was her taste in vehicles (this being a play on the name of the Vesper organisation).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
How about one of the most famous (or infamous, depending on your taste for the source material) anime vehicles of all time, from Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie? This of course would be the spoiler[Utena-mobile, as no other vehicle could carry Anthy away from Ohtori Academy].

EDIT: Oops, missed the disclaimer that it must be a real-life vehicle. So, I'll also mention Misato's Renault Alpine 310 from Evangelion.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
How about one of the most famous (or infamous, depending on your taste for the source material) anime vehicles of all time, from Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie? This of course would be the spoiler[Utena-mobile, as no other vehicle could carry Anthy away from Ohtori Academy].

EDIT: Oops, missed the disclaimer that it must be a real-life vehicle. So, I'll also mention Misato's Renault Alpine 310 from Evangelion.

Despite rewatching Evangelion numerous times, I didn't know that Misato's car was an actual car!
Teankun

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
the disclaimer that it must be a real-life vehicle. So, I'll also mention Misato's Renault Alpine 310 from Evangelion.

Yes, folks. As iconic as spaceships can be, please stick to real life cars and motorcycles and other vehicles that run on tires.

Snomaster1 wrote:
You know,I think that both the British and U.S. versions of "Top Gear" should feature something like this. It would be great for anime fans to see it.

That would be cool. Maybe ANN could do that or someone can submit it as a documentary for a tenative Anime Fan Film Festival
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2