• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's SuBLime Adds Rieko Yoshihara's Into Illusion Novel/Manga Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That sure is some pretty art.

Alas, not buying it until there is a print run, if there ever is because I have a strict non-digital buying policy in concerns to manga.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Definitely interested in this one based on the premise alone - though the credentials don't hurt - but I, too, prefer to buy my manga (especially my yaoi) in print format. So, I'm going to be crossing my fingers that the digital version does well enough to warrant SuBLime doing a print version. I've been really pleased with previous SuBLime releases, as a note - Awkward Silence and Starting With a Kiss have been handled beautifully so far, and I'm looking forward to adding more to my collection once I get over this massive hurdle of moving across the country.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Alas, not buying it until there is a print run, if there ever is because I have a strict non-digital buying policy in concerns to manga.

I used to say that. Just a heads up, Sublime allows you to download via PDF. They are very nice.
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I've been thinking of going that same route. I prefer all my manga in print and I really don't want to go down that slippery slope of having yaoi relegated to a digital format. I'm sure yaoi would be one of the first genres they'd push to digital first simply due to the nature of it's content.

I'm not familiar with Japanese light novels or projects of the sort. When they list it as a novel/manga project, is the story primarily told through the written chapters and the manga/art a simple companion piece or will the manga be written so that it can be read as a standalone?
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
PansyWansyLinsy wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I've been thinking of going that same route. I prefer all my manga in print and I really don't want to go down that slippery slope of having yaoi relegated to a digital format. I'm sure yaoi would be one of the first genres they'd push to digital first simply due to the nature of it's content.

Forgive me I'm not quite understanding. What about yaoi's nature makes you fear digital only in the future?
I know it's a niche so I see why publishers aren't willing or are unable to take a risk getting print rights sometimes. But, it's also a fact that digital doesn't guarantee that you can have the exposure of your titles carried by the big e-book retailers either, similar to issues print books have over content. And probably most importantly some mangaka won't let their work be digital. Am I missing something?

This announcement seems good for people that like manga NOW at least.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see how a simultaneous release is possible in print form, so this is a good compromise for that. Whilst I personally prefer print, I'm inclined to support this to see if we can get more simultaneous releases.
streetwalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm so ecstatic about BL publishers going for something innovative like this!

I think people are getting hung up on the wrong thing, simultaneous release wouldn't be possible with print. This way we don't have to wait ages for it to be available in English. Wink

And combining Reiko Yoshihara's amazing talent as an author and Ryo Tateishi's stunning artwork you get absolute magic! It's the perfect marriage! I also love it that it's not just illustrations for the novel but actual manga.

This will be good! Can't wait! Very Happy
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:

Forgive me I'm not quite understanding. What about yaoi's nature makes you fear digital only in the future?
I know it's a niche so I see why publishers aren't willing or are unable to take a risk getting print rights sometimes. But, it's also a fact that digital doesn't guarantee that you can have the exposure of your titles carried by the big e-book retailers either, similar to issues print books have over content. And probably most importantly some mangaka won't let their work be digital. Am I missing something?

This announcement seems good for people that like manga NOW at least.

It's speculation on my part based on a few trends I've noticed.

This is just gleaned off a variety of responses I've read from readers and buyers from a couple of sites, but for the people who do purchase yaoi, there also comes a reluctance of reading said material in public. It's comparatively easier to get away with reading shoujo, shounen, etc in front of others, but a little more difficult with yaoi. Some of the people who do prefer a digital format have used that same reason for why they would prefer to purchase yaoi in digital. It's a practical reason, and one that I think publishers are attempting to address by perhaps choosing a digital route.

DMP's recent move to delay print and focus more on digital publishing seems to feed this same mindset. Of course, it's not hard proof of a move away from print as I'm not privy to the their business meetings, but it's worrying nonetheless.

I had not taken into consideration that there are manga-kas that may not prefer their work in a digital format, but if there are some that don't, there are most definitely some that are okay with it. Publishers can surely cherry pick from the ones that will okay a digital format? I'm sure there's probably a variety of other factors in the decision making process that I've missed - including popularity of a series etc, but it's not like they don't have a large field to choose from.

I'd be curious to know and this is speaking from the perspective of someone who hasn't bought manga in a long time outside of my recent yaoi purchases, but what number of shoujo and shonen titles etc. have manga that's only available in digital format in comparison to mangas that have the option of both digital and print? From Viz's Sublime line alone (and I only went through the first couple of pages), the number of titles available only in digital format: 15, and the ones in both digital and print: 5. That's just Viz alone, but that along with DMP's recent announcement of concentrating on digital format does create, in my mind, some cause of concern for yaoi print.

But like I said earlier, it's pure speculation on my part. We can see that publishers and book sellers are working to adapt to the digital aspect of print. If they can't tell the future of their industry, neither can I. I can only guess and speculate like everyone else.

ETA: And I do apologize for the thread derailment as I do realize that it's pretty exciting to read this project in the now as opposed to months later if it were to go into print.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1