• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay: Black Lagoon's Revy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Missing arm tattoo is missing.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
and where are the Heiriken bottles? Razz
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
* Hairstyle doesn't match.
* Wrong Gun.
* Breast size....questionable. Can't tell from this angle.
* Not Psychotic enough/Bloodlust in eyes.

C- Grade.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
Really horrible camera angle is really horrible. I know there's a cosplayer in that picture, but I can barely see her through her ginormous feet.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Is it a trap or something? Cause all I see is boots. It could be Bob Barker for all I know.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote
Wait, lemme correct my previous post abit....are the "guns" still in primer paint/not even painted? Doesn't look like they've even been properly painted!!

EDITED: And before the people come in and decrying about people being nitpicky and whatnot about the picture, it could be worse. Just be glad this isn't 4chan.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Ew.

Now, comon. I've seen me some far better cosplay in this "column." This one just looks lazy. If this is high-quality cosplay, then I guess all I need is a red Hawaiian shirt to do Benny, and not really bother with the hair-color/style, glasses, or stubble...
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
the bullets look better than the cosplayer. Looks like the cosplayer spent too much time on those than the other "more important" features
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
the bullets look better than the cosplayer. Looks like the cosplayer spent too much time on those than the other "more important" features

I'd blame that choice on the photographer than the cosplayer. She's already a train wreck with the numerous inaccuracies in her costume. The photographer should at least share blame in the set design, the angle of the shot, composition, etc.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

I'd blame that choice on the photographer than the cosplayer. She's already a train wreck with the numerous inaccuracies in her costume. The photographer should at least share blame in the set design, the angle of the shot, composition, etc.

Just because 4chan is a lot more toxic when it comes to this crap doesn't mean you get to be a total bastard about cosplay in our forums. Knock it off.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I would hate to see you guys when a bad cosplay is shown. She didn't look drastically different from the character, and she was clearly doing it to have fun. The pose is also fine considering this isn't a professional picture. I really liked the picture, as the hair looked great, the pose was good, and it showed great care.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
If the missing arm tatto is missing then it's not missing is it?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
Sea Lion wrote:
If the missing arm tatto is missing then it's not missing is it?
A shocking development. Shocked
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
For the first time ever I agree with Zac, as much as I hate to admit it. This is way better than 4chan.

Well, you can't expect cosplays to be 100% accurate, she's doing the best she can with what she's got. For all we know, this was probably a shot for facebook or myspace, it's not like anyone would wanna make themselves in the news for this. And even if she did, I gotta say it's pretty good, not perfect but she can actually fix them.

Sunday Silence wrote:
* Hairstyle doesn't match.
* Wrong Gun.
* Breast size....questionable. Can't tell from this angle.
* Not Psychotic enough/Bloodlust in eyes.

C- Grade.

It's not that far off from the actual character's hair style, close enough.

I'm a gun guy, and yes they look like toy guns, but hey that's cosplay for ya. And believe me, it's hard to find toy versions of Beretta 92F's, let alone that look as real as the actual one. So I can't blame her for the fake guns.

Breasts, come on man, should she get breast implants for a size that would hurt her back just to play Revy for what, a few times every year (at most)?

Revy's not angry every second of the day, she has her calm time. So for a calm Revy, she isn't bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All she could have added was the tattoo but that is the easiest matter to estate when she goes to a convention. Besides, she is cute. Overall, I have to be fair and give her an A- because you can tell she really tried and didn't come up with something horrendous.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
While I'd refrain from bashing, what she (and her photographer) failed at was that without the text caption, it's virtually impossible to tell she's cosplaying as Revy. All you see is a young woman posing with a pistol.

Yes, I know contemporary, non-fantasy characters are harder to cosplay as they usually don't have weird costume or green hair. A tattoo sticker/paint and Tuscan or Burgundy red hair dye/wig would significantly increase the likeliness.

TopGunman wrote:
Overall, I have to be fair and give her an A- because you can tell she really tried and didn't come up with something horrendous.

Just curious: if you give her an A-, what would you give for better cosplaying works? Simply adding number of pluses after A?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3