• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Godzilla Remake's Set Previewed in Videos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'm really wonder how well such a strong American and American military presence in a Godzilla film will play in Japan. In a way, Godzilla is a representation of the American military and the atomic force they unleashed upon the country and its lingering specter. I feel if the movie just is a typical Bay-ian American military wankfest, it will betray the ideals of Godzilla films.

Then again, I doubt it could be worse than the last American remake. Plus this is a South American director with decent cred, not some overblown American and German Hollywood hacks who did ID4 which has not aged well. Though I admit I still love Stargate. Either way Emmerich's Godzilla was Hollywoodization at its worst. They tried to ID4-ize Godzilla. Maybe also also re-appropriate him also for some vague environmental. There was some talk of military nuclear testing, but I remember them trying to oddly tack on some vague environmental nonsense with Chernobyl in the very bad pseudo science that really insulted that tragedy unlike how the originally Godzilla had a certain solemness about the ones that spawned it.
T.H.O.L.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
...I feel if the movie just is a typical Bay-ian American military wankfest, it will betray the ideals of Godzilla films...

...Emmerich's Godzilla was Hollywoodization at its worst...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. But on this first quote I really want to see it be something that I can say was at least"good". But when most American directors take great stories from video games, books, anime's, or something like Godzilla, they tend to take it to a back ally, do illicit things to it, then throw the left overs on stage. I grew up with Godzilla, with Godzilla marathon's on the tv.

I mean the best dramatic effect ever: Talking to person during normal day; Godzilla Roar in distance; Every head turns in awe; Begin Godzilla Medley; Destruction; Movie Master piece.

Heck, American directors can't adapt American cartoons to movies! Just look at Avatar: TLAB compared to Shamacrap's movie. Holly Hell I get upset every time I think about how horrible it was. BUT than again there are others out there who enjoy these remakes, and I do respect that. But in my opinion, the American Godzilla adaptation had me in the hospital for broken eyeballs and ruptured spleen(s).
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
I too was looking forward to the Avatar movies, but the first one bombed so badly, I think they gave up. Rotten tomatoes, called it the worst movie of the year.

I remember the original Godzillas too, and the awful American try at it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1