• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu Film Slated for July 20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Unless they'd have been a double feature, releasing both films at the same time is stupid, they'd compete against each other. And even if Old Man Miyazaki and Ghibli don't care about such mortal immaterial things like money, producers and theater owners do.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And even if Old Man Miyazaki and Ghibli don't care about such mortal immaterial things like money, producers and theater owners do.

Money not being the primary motivation is always a good thing, NEVER bad. Period.

I doubt this was the case here thou, 2 Ghibli films, you think people will be able to only watch one and ditch the other? Hardly. You are not talking of something expense that people can only have one or the other.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
releasing both films at the same time is stupid, they'd compete against each other. .

Maybe, maybe not. Why cant 2 works coexist? Maybe there was enough confidence in both films, if both are excellent then theres nothing to fear, people will watch -- and buy-- both, Its Takahata and Miyazaki we are talking about! LEGENDS!

However, yes, its safer to not release both at the same time for whatever unforeseen circumstances, which is what actuary happened, as one movie has been delayed to fall instead of summer, Takahata's one.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
You don't release both simultaneously but unconnected because they both need to complete for money and space at cinemas. They also don't need to be months apart, but same day could mean both of them do less well than either of them alone. Not all blockbusters are released in the same weekend, it's on purposes that they're spaced out over months. Or smaller films are released on weekends that will be perceived to not be overtaken by bigger titles that will hog all of the available screens.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
same day could mean both of them do less well than either of them alone.

This part I agree, its possible. Either one or both could have a weaker start, if enough confidence in both they could get the expected results regardless during their run.

About spaces at cinemas, maybe, its quite possible, if ever, I can see other movie getting delayed in favor of 2 movies by beloved and venerated studio Ghibli.

Competing for money, yea, but they are doing it with other movies too, at least its internal competition, but I agree that it could affect one or both.

Anyway, you have nothing to fear anymore, they wont be released simultaneously.

Toho says both movies are not gonna be released simultaneously only due to unfinished storyboards, which would support what I said, its no big deal to have both at the same time, not stupid at all, or who knows maybe you are right and someone decided better to not have them simultaneously after all, playing it safe and citing unfinished storyboards was merely the excuse used.

What happened with My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies? commercially speaking due to both running simultaneously back them and opening on the same day? Dunno, both became big classics.

It would have been nice that this time both movies opened at the same time too, to emulate what happened that year as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

What happened with My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies? commercially speaking due to both running simultaneously back them and opening on the same day?

Totoro and Grave were double-billed.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
Toho also has Pokemon 16 coming out mid-july (the 13th). Having 3 of the biggest movies of the year at exactly the same time and which cater to the same audiences wouldn't have been a very smart move.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hope we get a chance to see it sooner but that might now happen right away. We'll get it like what, next year to see it dubbed then released.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
After seeing poppy hill on the big screen a few days ago, I'm so hyped to watch another ghibli film in the cinema~
i wish they brought them over quicker, even if sub only
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
"This will be the first film from Miyazaki since Ponyo about five years ago."

I know Miyazaki wasn't the director of Arriety, but it's probably safe to assume he dictated how it should be made. After all, Arriety and Ponyo have a lot in common.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
He also wrote the screenplay for Poppy Hill, so the old man is as active as ever, just not as the principle director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1