• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
The first real RPG I played, after Pokemon, when I was a kind was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Gaiden:_Last_Bible

Which of course was called Revelations here in the states. So I can't wait for this one! Though I have to admit I hope it isn't like that strange out space one, that wasn't so much hard core, as it was annoying... though rom the review it doesn't!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps the capstone joke of this oddball battle system is that all it takes to turn a dumb demon kind is the liberal application of sake. If you mistakenly fuse your only demon with the crucial Media spell into an idiotic, suicidal bird (as I did), all it takes for them to remember their healing roots is a couple drinks.

Well you know what they say: booze is universal. Even demons and aliens know it's the best thing to share among other species, no matter what the situation. XD
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm super excited to play this. I'm a huge fan of the series so for me Persona 2 is going to be the comparison game. Persona 3 & 4 are really a different generation of game and style from Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Persona, and both Persona 2 games. I'm really interested to see SMT IV is going to be more of a throw back or try something different. Strange Journey was certainly in the mold of the earlier games in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been dying to play this for years - it's one of those few titles where a single screenshot of almost any moment within the game shows how much it's oozing with an amount of style & character that other titles are sorely lacking in, especially these days.

The overall atmosphere of games like Soul Hackers, Policenauts, Revelations Persona, & Lunar from the PS1/Saturn generation marks one of the highest points in video game history for me, and it's a shame that few to no games being released these days capture such a wonderful fusion of storytelling, animated art, and unique gameplay - I'd argue that they all stand as a shining example of what was great about video games in the 90's, especially for a fan of anime and RPGs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1