• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stellvia 2 Cancelled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
That's really disapointing, i loved Stellvia and was hopeing for more.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Methinks something is rotten in the state of Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if a bombshell is about to come out soon that could explain this news. I have a couple theories, but they're all pretty general.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is easily the most depressing anime-related news I've heard all year. I mean I was heavily anticipating the Stellvia sequel, and all of the sudden this cryptic "it's impossible" just drops from the sky. Fantastic. And to add insult to injury, they reveal they were entertaining the idea of more Nadesico solely to shut it down, as well? Lame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
mind shareing a theory or two?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
weirdofu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, if they say its "impossible", then that could mean that either no one is willing to fund it, they can't come up with something they feel is decent, or they cannot get the team together to work on it in the foreseeable future.

Or, it may just be that it was a mistranslation and that its not "impossible", but rather "not right now"?

Anyhow, my vote would be on the fact that they can't get the team back together in the foreseeable future and don't feel that any replacements would do the "franchise" justice. Sort of like a comaradery thing where either everyone works on it, or no one works on it.
Karala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This is really sad, I enjoyed Stellvia and was thinking I'd see a second season in the not too distant future.

With the idea that there will be no second season -ever- with the way the anime ended it drops my enjoyment of the series becaue it had far too many unanswered questions.
Montusama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
weirdofu wrote:
Well, if they say its "impossible", then that could mean that either no one is willing to fund it, they can't come up with something they feel is decent, or they cannot get the team together to work on it in the foreseeable future.

Or, it may just be that it was a mistranslation and that its not "impossible", but rather "not right now"?

Anyhow, my vote would be on the fact that they can't get the team back together in the foreseeable future and don't feel that any replacements would do the "franchise" justice. Sort of like a comaradery thing where either everyone works on it, or no one works on it.

About your the money for the production is what I think is probably one of the most important things and since XEBEC (did do those two right?) The only project that I know of that XEBEC has is Erementar Gerad.
We'll probalby know more about this later and also what you said about "impossible" would mean "later" that's also possible since Anime isn't that easy to produce (you gotta get a story for it.....you got to have a min of 23 fps...you gotta have voice casting and the background music and OP/ED (though you only do those things once or two on average)) And didn't another company say something about a "Sequel" would not happen? (though this might be Sega i'm talking about :S)

Also on a HUGE SIDE NOTE:
I think they should make another series for Hikaru no Go (the special wasn't good enough Sad and I really loved the series since I watched it in 5 days)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

Are you talking to me? If you are, then here are my possible theories in no particular order.

1. Terminal illness
2. Interpersonal issues
3. Lack of funding
4. No drive/no reason to continue
5. Blackmail

Like I said, they're general, but they cover the standard bases. I don't think anybody pulled a T.O. and walked out of a production meeting or anything.
Selenthiri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Montusama wrote:

Also on a HUGE SIDE NOTE:
I think they should make another series for Hikaru no Go (the special wasn't good enough Sad and I really loved the series since I watched it in 5 days)

Never happen, since the manga ends right after the special, when they have the actual match. The manga, like the anime was really good, and like the anime ended lamely. It was almost like the mangaka decided he didn't want to do it any more, since it just stops. Though if they make it up as they go along it could work i suppose.

Anyways, back on topic. It's always a shame when shows are just stopped and a no sequal announcement is given. That said, i dont really think impossiblr is a term that really exists in the anime world. It might take them a few years *cough*To Heart*cough* but a sequal may appeare in the distant future. Several series have had gaps of 10 years or so between them before having a sequal. So while he might have said impossible, its probably closer to say, impossible for now, but a few years down the road, who knows.
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
well that is sad news. I never realistically hoped for a nadesico sequel, but saying never is still annoying. Of course never isn't really set in stone. A few years and it could change completely.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I didn't hear about Stellvia until Geneone began releasing the anime. While $24.95 is still a little much for me, this is one of those anime shows I have thoroughly enjoyed with each new release. The fact that ther were talks about a sequel series and that this drops from the sky is thoroughly disappointing.

Perhaps the success of the Ah! My Goddess anime series is starting to force these other companies out of business. Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing
Usagi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
T-T Aw... I was really looking forward to a sequel in Stellvia.. I wonder what the reasons.... for it to being impossible.... hm....
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
From what I heard, Stellvia didn't do too well in Japan, which may explain why they can't do a sequel now. This is supposing that the reason the idea was scrapped for the present time is because of money. because if you don't have a reasonable viewing base (when they're creating the anime, they only consider viewers in Japan, not international fans), then what's the point? It will not be profitable.

I'm sorely disappointed, considering I've been a fan of stellvia since the fansubs, and still am just as much of a fan now as I was then two years ago.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
From what I heard, Stellvia didn't do too well in Japan, which may explain why they can't do a sequel now.

Are you sure about that? I read that Stellvia was one of Japan's most popular showswhen it aired in 2003.

This announcement shows what little I know about anime: I didn't even know there were plans for a second Stellvia series. I hope and pray that the reason why Tatsuo Sato scrapped the project isn't due to terminal illness and just simply that he doesn't have the financial support to continue the project. Or he's probably considering doing other projects that are different from what he normally does.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

Are you talking to me? If you are, then here are my possible theories in no particular order.

1. Terminal illness
2. Interpersonal issues
3. Lack of funding
4. No drive/no reason to continue
5. Blackmail

Like I said, they're general, but they cover the standard bases. I don't think anybody pulled a T.O. and walked out of a production meeting or anything.

Let's not forget a possible 6th issue... since there are so many people involved in the project, there could be some legal issues involved as well - which stretches far beyond interpersonal issues or otherwise. Due to the nature of character creation, those involved may have retained legal rights to their charaters and desire to not have them used in a particular manner - a'la the Candy Candy lawsuit. At this point, I'm not discounting much of anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2