• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer Inspires 2nd Spinoff Manga Next Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty interesting and I can never have enough GuP, so I'll definitely read it.

pic 1:
Erika: How terrible...! Did you really need to go that far!?

pic 2:
Darjeeling: Kuromorimine was annihilated...!? I can't believe they've already begun to make their move...!

pic 3:
Katyusha: Now, let us begin: new Sensha-do (Tankery).

There are 2 possibilities I see for the explanation of the first picture.
1) A new enemy did something that caused Maho to get injured or
2) Maho's mom hit her for losing.

EDIT: Panzerfahren replaced with Sensha-do.

Last edited by FLAZE35 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
I hope these new franchise installments can continue to be worthy additions. Little Army was good and quite interesting, especially in explaining Maho's character.

"More Love Love Strategy" - I wonder if Saori's time of romance has finally come.

FLAZE35 wrote:
There are 2 possibilities I see for the explanation of the first picture.
1) A new enemy did something that caused Maho to get injured or
2) Maho's mom hit her for losing.

Considering the scratches on clothing and faces and what looks to be smoke rising from the ground, I'm gonna guess the first.

Also, Sensha-do means the art/way of the tank. Panzerfahren means tank-driving, and is a limited, flawed translation. The /ak/ term "Panzerkraft" retains the lolGerman flavour while actually being equally meaningful and making full sense to someone who doesn't know any German (apart from "panzer", of course, but that's in the title of the show). It's inarguably superior outside of any Commie subs-worshipping posturing, if you're not going to go with the official translation tankery (better than Panzerfahren but not as good as Panzerkraft) or just Sensha-do (the best choice). I'm just saying that if you're actually translating it for the casual ANN audience, Panzerfahren is not a good choice, whatever you choose to call it in discussion with friends, etc.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Panzerfahren is the German phrase, and that makes it the most appropriate choice for a show that peppers German phrases in often enough, and I don't just mean Commie's hilarious translating. I'll also stick with it since Panzer is in the title. Either way, tankwando is just out. Shun anyone who prefers that.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
"Tankwondo" is a shitty pun, which doesn't represent the sense of Sensha-do at all. It's exactly as lame as Panzerfahren, but inexcusably so. Actually, beyond "und" and "Panzer" in the title and the battle cry "panzer vor!", I'm struggling to think of any examples of German in the show that aren't tank names.

What I mean is that I can countenance "panzerfahren" in subtitles and private discourse, but that if you're to talk about the show with any degree of professionalism, it's not a valid choice. It's a choice one amateur, unofficial subtitle group used to add flavour to their amateur, unofficial translation, and I think it's inappropriate to see their choice used in a context like this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
"Tankwondo" is a shitty pun, which doesn't represent the sense of Sensha-do at all. It's exactly as lame as Panzerfahren, but inexcusably so. Actually, beyond "und" and "Panzer" in the title and the battle cry "panzer vor!", I'm struggling to think of any examples of German in the show that aren't tank names.

What I mean is that I can countenance "panzerfahren" in subtitles and private discourse, but that if you're to talk about the show with any degree of professionalism, it's not a valid choice. It's a choice one amateur, unofficial subtitle group used to add flavour to their amateur, unofficial translation, and I think it's inappropriate to see their choice used in a context like this.

A few jawohls, probably coming from Erwin.

Leave it as sensha-do, because there is no true English equivalent since we don't have tankery in our lexicon, unlike kyudo and archery. On translation and official, official doesn't always mean better, it just means whatever that translator thought appropriate. I know everyone likes to assume all fan translators are JLPT Level N4 or something, but that's not entirely accurate.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'll have to keep an ear out for those, thanks. Honestly, tankery always makes me thing of a cantankerous old man.

Also, I came across as kind of a wanker, sorry.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
lol Sorry about that. Somehow I completely disregarded the possibility of simply writing "sensha-do." (I usually do.) In fact, I have no idea why I chose to write "Panzerfahren" instead. (although I don't see what difference it makes, considering the only people here who would actually read this discussion are people who have already seen the anime and know what Panzerfahren implies over what it actually means)

I prefer not to use "Tankery" because it sounds weird, and I've never even heard "Tankwondo." Anime hyper

Last edited by FLAZE35 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
spin-offs are usually bad because they diverge from the source material too often
if this uses many of the previous characters in the series it could end up being amazing if they can keep the same quality going
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
FLAZE35 wrote:
I prefer not to use "Tankery" because it sounds weird, and I've never even heard "Tankwondo." Anime hyper
"Tankwando" was another subgroup's attempt to get the meaning of "do" across(a lame pun, but it does the job). Personally, I think "tankery" is probably the best translation we'd see("panzerfahren" misses the mark completely), though I don't have anything against using "senshado".
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Nice, more great news followed by the earlier one today regarding an upcoming movie and OVA. This series deserves it and I can't wait for the manga after watching the anime Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
Tankery makes as much sense as calling kendo swordery. In other words, none.

I haven't delved into the GuP manga side, but spinoffs highlighting Kuromorimine, St. Gloriana, Pravda, and hopefully Saunders would interest me greatly.

Also I find it odd that ANN never did review this title and since Bamboo dropped it from The Stream early on for reasons that were expounded upon in later episodes (why were there tanks in odd places, how are the tank crew safe from exploding shells, etc) there has been practically no coverage of the title on ANN beyond these news snippets. I do find it amusing that she accused it of not exerting any effort when I think it's obvious that the crew who worked on the show went way, way, way beyond what a 'cute girls doing cute things' show is modeled to be.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Tankery makes as much sense as calling kendo swordery. In other words, none.
Kendo is also exactly one type of swordplay, while 'senshado' is a much broader term. Would you perhaps prefer tanksmanship or tankplay?
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I do find it amusing that she accused it of not exerting any effort when I think it's obvious that the crew who worked on the show went way, way, way beyond what a 'cute girls doing cute things' show is modeled to be.

That's what hit me during my rewatch - there are really no wasted moments - everything that's not directly related to preparing or carrying out matches is either developing the characters and/or setting or clever and consistently individual ways of creating humour or moe moments based on the characters' established personalities. Even the recap episodes are interesting and worthwhile, obviously if not as straight-out entertaining as episodes of the actual show.

Megiddo wrote:
reasons that were expounded upon in later episodes (why were there tanks in odd places

That was kind of a silly moment on Bamboo's part - it was explained in the same line. "Our sensha-do programme was discontinued years ago. However, the tanks that were used should still be around." The next scene they meet Yukari, and the scene after that has the first-year team looking through school records and lamenting that they lost track of where the school's tanks went. It's supposed to be humorous: the school's lousy record-keeping means the team has to wander into the wilderness to get the tanks they're supposed to be driving. Then, like much of Anzu's casual tyranny, it's later revealed to make more sense: they sold off the tanks they could easily find, leaving only a couple unaccounted for. And it's from these that Oarai has to rebuild their forces, starting from the bottom to regain their former glory.
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
"Girls & Panzer Inspires 2nd Spinoff Manga"

yeah....... "inspires"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1