• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime so terrible, it's fantastic.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
My friends and I regularly have an event that we call "Bad Movie & Bad Game Night." It usually involves my two best friends, myself, a terrible movie, a terrible game (usually very old, like Superman 64 or ET for the Atari), and far too much Mt. Dew and junk food. But we don't just watch any bad movies, we watch terrible movies. Movies that are so godawful that they are hilarious. Sometimes they are intentional b-movies like Megashark vs. Giant Octopus, but they are especially great when the movie just happens to end up incredibly awful, like The Room.

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has ever watched any anime that fit this category. What was your experience like with that anime?
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Garzey's Wing, 3-30 minute OVA eps, so like a normal movie length. It is in fact best watched with a group, because the dub is just so incredibly bad and it sounds like half the words are made up that not laughing is simply impossible. You could attempt to take a drink for every overly hilarious line of dialogue, but I don't want you dying of alcohol poisoning before the end of episode 2. But you've gotta watch it dub (easy to find on youtube)

Eiken, possibly the only thing that denies the law of physics harder than Pinkie Pie. In this case though, it is breast physics. One girl's entire purpose is literally to stand in the background deep throating phallic symbols (like chocolate covered bananas with marshmellow on top). It's the worst attempt at ecchi possibly ever, it's so disgusting that it's simply not sexy, but it is hilarious.

Discotek recently put Mad Bull 34 out on DVD on the explicit basis that it was terrible. They hinted at the license as it being a terrible anime. 4-45 minute eps, so maybe divide it into two nights.

I'm assuming that you've seen The Last Airbender? To be fair, that's more sad than funny.

There is a live action US made movie of Fist of the North Star, it is the clear predecessor to Dragonball Evolution. If you know anything about FotNS, it messes up so many things it's hilarious, but then it also does thing like make Kenshiro's scars look like pepperoni glued onto a guy so there's plenty of laughs for everyone. For some reason, Malcolm MacDowell makes an appearance. As does Dante Basco (Zuko's voice). And weird things inexplicably happen to make you laugh too.

Also, I must ask if you've seen Birdemic or The Room at these things as they are modern classics.

One online reviewer, Bennett the Sage, has a segment called "Anime Abandon", which reviews mostly VHS era anime. They aren't all bad, he covers good things like Macross Plus and Wings of Honneamise too, but he covers a lot of hilariously terrible OVAs, so if you ever need an idea, check out his reviews, just keep in mind, some of them are for good things. Mostly they are for terrible things. And some times they are for awesomely hilarious things like Golden Boy, damn funny, but also really good in a strange way that I so shouldn't like.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

One online reviewer, Bennett the Sage, has a segment called "Anime Abandon", which reviews mostly VHS era anime. They aren't all bad, he covers good things like Macross Plus and Wings of Honneamise too, but he covers a lot of hilariously terrible OVAs, so if you ever need an idea, check out his reviews, just keep in mind, some of them are for good things. Mostly they are for terrible things. And some times they are for awesomely hilarious things like Golden Boy, damn funny, but also really good in a strange way that I so shouldn't like.

YES.

It is because of this guy I want to see Vampire Wars that unquestionably falls into this category. Anime hyper

"My real name is Mr. Cookie. But my super COOL NICKNAME WILL BE 'BAT'."

BWAHAHAHAHA WHAT!?
*on the floor*
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has ever watched any anime that fit this category.

The majority of anime produced after 2000.

No, really. Check out Clannad, Kanon, or Air, for examples. These are horrible, horrible series but they're good-horrible. People don't act like this in real life, yet here are three series which purposely go out of their way to solve their drama through... more drama! Popcorn classics, the lot of them.

Heh.

To be honest, I can't think of any anime, but I will give you a live action show that's absolutely going to fit this category: Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl.

Not only will this movie reclassify all those SyFy shows as works of art, but this really has to be seen to be believed.

It was streaming on Netflix at one point, so not sure if it's still there, but if it is, I promise you and your friends will have a blast with this one.
Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
The X movie. That thing is absolutely terrible but oh so much fun to watch. Especially if you know enough about the manga/anime series to actually follow what is going on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
I tend to not be a big fan of the so bad its good sort of thing, I don't quite understand concept, although I could look for something that might match.

Maybe 11Eyes, I remember finding the series so awful that it often felt like a train wreck that I had to see where it went. Especially bad towards the end that it is laugh worthy. The OAV was especially interesting in that it took it to the max by messing with the formulae and spoofing itself till it was great. I probably can not do justice without spoiling it.
thenix

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
I have an anime OVA on VHS from the 90's based on the game "Suikoden" that is that kind of bad. I've shown it at a bad movie night at my house. It'll do the trick with it's bad animation, bad voice acting, and cheesy story. IT HAS A PRIEST THAT IS RIPPED AND HAS A MASSIVE STORE OF UBERGUNS AND MOWS DOWN BAD GUYS TO SAVE ORPHANS!
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
I would recommend Cosprayers. The show is quite terrible with characters and plotting that make no real sense but that is deliberate. You see the point of the show is the two sequels Hit o Nerae! and Love Love? . Hit o Nerae! stars the producer of Cosprayers trying to get the show made. It is great stuff for anyone who ever wondered how an anime or live action show targeted at teens that started well turned into a disaster. Odds are one or more of the things that happened in Hit o Nerae! was responsible. Love Love? stars the writer of the show and in-between being an awful harem comedy reveals the origin of some of the more outlandish nonsense that occurred in Cosprayers
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I tend to not be a big fan of the so bad its good sort of thing, I don't quite understand concept, although I could look for something that might match.

Maybe 11Eyes, I remember finding the series so awful that it often felt like a train wreck that I had to see where it went. Especially bad towards the end that it is laugh worthy. The OAV was especially interesting in that it took it to the max by messing with the formulae and spoofing itself till it was great. I probably can not do justice without spoiling it.

Oh yes, the series with the "spoiler[razor blade] in the tea" scene. There's crazy, crazy smart and, I guess, crazy stupid.

The OVA was the only good part of the series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has ever watched any anime that fit this category.

The majority of anime produced after 2000.

No, really. Check out Clannad, Kanon, or Air, for examples. These are horrible, horrible series but they're good-horrible. People don't act like this in real life, yet here are three series which purposely go out of their way to solve their drama through... more drama! Popcorn classics, the lot of them.
I'm sorry they don't fulfill your wishes to be entertained by normal people having ordinary conversations and doing mundane things.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Would have to go with Code Geass R2. So ridiculously over-the-top with its dramatics that it spawned enough memes to delight the Internet with. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I would say BAOH is about the best when it comes to so-bad-it's-good anime. It's actually fairly well drawn and animated, but it's so insanely stupid. The titular entity cannot speak, so the anime pauses so they can put up a sign for his attacks, since he cannot scream them out for himself. Then there is the mad scientist who only speaks in Exposition (99% of his dialog is directed at the audience).

Another one like that is Black Lion, which is also totally insane. It's based on an early manga by Go Nagai.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go out a limb and say studio deen's adaption of umineko. This is due in part of how many meme's such as Oh Desire or Sea Cats that it spawned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm sorry they don't fulfill your wishes to be entertained by normal people having ordinary conversations and doing mundane things.

Did you watch a different version than the rest of us? That was only part of the series. The rest was boogy-woogy supernatural mumbo-jumbo which did nothing but cause unrealistic pain and suffering.

If they removed this, then you'd have an honest-to-goodness series on your hands.

I didn't hate these shows. Quite the contrary, I loved them (except Air - hated it), because they delivered exactly what many people want: unrealistic events in every day life.

Heck, that's pretty much all entertainment. Who wants reality? We watch this stuff to escape it.
Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2