• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime uploads to Youtube.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galaxyspyer

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
can i upload anime in youtube if it is only liscensed in north america and australia.As i live in different country.or will they ban my account in youtube.im new to this stuff.and i want my friends to view it on youtube so i am uploading it.so how does this work.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Technically, unless you own the rights to an anime (which of course you don't) you can't upload it to youtube. It doesn't matter where it has or hasn't been licensed. The bottom line is that the content isn't yours so you can't upload it. (As far as whole episodes go anyway. There may be fair use exceptions for partial clips). That's the official rule though. As I understand it, youtube's actual enforcement is pretty random.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
If you want t make a review and use footage from your own dvd collection that's fine. However you can not upload full episodes of any anime series with out owning the said rights so don't even try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Any videos of full episodes of any anime show on YouTube is guaranteed to be wiped out within just days, or even hours after they're uploaded, so yes, as ikillchicken and Cecilthedarkknight have mentioned already, it's best to not even attempt doing that.
Besides, what's the point of watching anime shows on YouTube when there are anime websites available in which you could watch them there?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
People are talking about YouTube as if they don't frequent the site, because there is a lot of false information being bandied about.

There are tons of illegally-uploaded Anime on YouTube. I'm not just talking about clips but entire episodes; thousands of them.

And many have been there for months or even years. Seriously Mr. Oshawott, you're talking out your arse if you don't know that.

Just because it is illegal to upload the clips doesn't mean that they get taken down automatically. Either humans have to report the videos or bots have to be programmed to specifically look for them, whereupon there are several well-known and easily-implemented tricks in order to prevent the bots from recognising the video's content. Therefore it is really up to humans to report the illegal videos, which happens less than you think.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
They are not supposed to be, but there are a few, I actually used to get my anime mostly from Youtube, and there was a certain magical girl anime that had really good quality on Youtube rather than the streaming sites I use. I don't know what it us that flags the videos, I know that lot of Abridged videos end up being flagged despite being in essence short parodies. I also like to check out OP and ED songs on Youtube, but often they get put down also.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
People are talking about YouTube as if they don't frequent the site, because there is a lot of false information being bandied about.

There are tons of illegally-uploaded Anime on YouTube. I'm not just talking about clips but entire episodes; thousands of them.

And many have been there for months or even years. Seriously Mr. Oshawott, you're talking out your arse if you don't know that.

Just because it is illegal to upload the clips doesn't mean that they get taken down automatically. Either humans have to report the videos or bots have to be programmed to specifically look for them, whereupon there are several well-known and easily-implemented tricks in order to prevent the bots from recognising the video's content. Therefore it is really up to humans to report the illegal videos, which happens less than you think.

You dont have to be a dick about it. As of late youtube will take down stuff that often has nothing to do with copyright infringement just because someone says they own it and it gets taken down as well, even if they are not the original content owner. Things have gotten a lot more strict and is very likely to get taken down. So to say that this isnt true is just a lie. I have dealt with on many occasions where my videos would be taken down and nothing remotely illegal was even on it. So stop spewing lies like you know how the system work, it much more complicated then that.

Often videos are not taken down because they have very little views or they some how got passed the algorithm and no one reported it. Though There are times were a video that is years old will just get pulled down because some company says they own it when they dont.

Also it is not easy to trick the algorithm that youtube has is always changing and improving. So please stop with what you think are ways to get around it. Also these bots that you talk about are owned by specific companies that look for illegal content as well as youtube, and if that content is not being looked for it can often slip by the system. Again, this is old news and more recently Youtube has gotten a lot more aggressive with what gets taken down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd suggest looking up the Berne Convention, which essentially says that if something is copyrighted in its country of origin (Japan in this case), then it's also copyrighted everywhere else that matters, regardless of what licensing or distribution agreements exist there.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
jsc315, I'm not spewing lies, Mr. Oshawott was. And now you are too.You didn't even bother to read my post before laying into me. If you had, you wouldn't have written such garbage.

I wasn't being a dick, I was frustrated with the misinformation that was going on in the thread, and scolding people for not knowing what they're talking about.

Yes, you are correct that YouTube has cracked down on copyright infringers. Funny thing is, I never said it wasn't tougher now than before; that's all in your head (me claiming it wasn't, that is). But despite it getting tougher, whole Anime episodes - heck, whole Anime series - are easily found on the site. Illegal videos that have been there for months or and years and had thousands and even tens of thousands of views.

And it is easy to trick or otherwise get around the algorithm. Of course the YouTube staff know all the common ones - examples include mirroring, setting the video in a window (of sorts), changing the aspect ratio, altering the sound, careful use of keywords - and they're constantly working on making the bots smarter. I never said the staff weren't improving their detection capabilities. But as far as I am aware, many of the tricks still work even now. Finally, illegal Anime on YouTube is not old news; it is still a current problem. Mind you, I don't see it as a problem, but I'm sure various Anime licensees do.

So yeah, next time do not be so eager to post that you just embarrass yourself. Actually read what the person you are replying to has written.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If you want t make a review and use footage from your own dvd collection that's fine. However you can not upload full episodes of any anime series with out owning the said rights so don't even try.

You can argue "fair use" on clips, but the owners may not care and ContentID certainly won't - even clips can be flagged if they are recognised by the system, regardless of the length or what it is used for. Using "footage from your own DVD collection" also involves DCMA infringments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hyung-ae Young

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
jsc315, I'm not spewing lies, Mr. Oshawott was. And now you are too.You didn't even bother to read my post before laying into me. If you had, you wouldn't have written such garbage.

I wasn't being a dick, I was frustrated with the misinformation that was going on in the thread, and scolding people for not knowing what they're talking about.

Yes, you are correct that YouTube has cracked down on copyright infringers. Funny thing is, I never said it wasn't tougher now than before; that's all in your head (me claiming it wasn't, that is). But despite it getting tougher, whole Anime episodes - heck, whole Anime series - are easily found on the site. Illegal videos that have been there for months or and years and had thousands and even tens of thousands of views.

And it is easy to trick or otherwise get around the algorithm. Of course the YouTube staff know all the common ones - examples include mirroring, setting the video in a window (of sorts), changing the aspect ratio, altering the sound, careful use of keywords - and they're constantly working on making the bots smarter. I never said the staff weren't improving their detection capabilities. But as far as I am aware, many of the tricks still work even now. Finally, illegal Anime on YouTube is not old news; it is still a current problem. Mind you, I don't see it as a problem, but I'm sure various Anime licensees do.

So yeah, next time do not be so eager to post that you just embarrass yourself. Actually read what the person you are replying to has written.

I agree with this dude right here. YouTube bots are growing smarter day by day but there are loopholes when uploading animated series online. And as you can search up, there are thousands or maybe in the millions of videos that aren't the channel's original content.

Honestly, I don't feel as if it should be frowned upon when it comes to anime and stuff (unless it were movies that'd be a problem) because there are poor individuals out there that can't view these clips either they don't have the money or it isn't available in their country.

Plus, if you do upload anime series on YouTube, chances are a bot will spot it before you can even publish the video. It will notify the company or the companies will get news of it and they'll either:
A) block it worldwide, B) block it only in select countries, and C) just claim the content without blocking it from any country.

This will put ads on the videos that are claimed but no money goes to the channel what-so-ever. The currency will go to the company which kind of helps the creators in some ways. I feel as if it shouldn't be frowned upon by the few people that don't like it because it just depends if the channel is actually getting money from the videos which in most cases, does not happen.

Also, they are doing this now... If you upload content that is not yours and try to apply for a YouTube partnership (which will take about 20-30 days), they can deny your applications which makes you unable to earn any money from your unoriginal content. This is because their employees and bots search through your content to see if you are eligible. If you have multiple copyright claims on your videos, they ABSOLUTELY will deny your attempt to become monetized.

And for those who are confused and look on these channels that aren't monetized to see ads on like 5-6 videos, that would probably suggest that those videos have been claimed by the owner and that is why you see ads on some but not all of their videos.

There are people out there that dislike seeing others content being stolen without proper credit given to the creators. But there are people who just re-post the creators work; giving them proper credit and accomidation without earning money from what they've uploaded. Instead, those earnings go towards the companies who claimed the video. So it's alright to crack down on those who just upload willy-nilly without giving credits in the video or description of the video. But not EVERY uploader should feel Thor's hammer for uploading content that isn't theirs when they've given proper credits. Not everyone is in it for the money so not everyone should be shunned and battled when they're uploading for the sake of seeing people smile that they're able to watch their favorite shows without paying $30-$40 for a box-set on Amazon.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Returning necro thread to the crypt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1